Army announces Phuket curfew

Lite Beer

Army announces Phuket curfew
Phuket Gazette -

1_2014522184451843_bfehxRboaVwjPNDaSUpni

No people, including, tourists will be allowed out after 10pm tonight. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha today announced a nationwide curfew that will come into effect at 10pm tonight.

The curfew, from 10pm to 5am, will affect Phuket and all other tourist destinations in Thailand.

No people, including tourists, are allowed to leave their residence or hotel unless given specific permission by government officers.

This order will remain in place until further notice, said Gen Prayuth.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Army-announces-Phuket-curfew/29519#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-22

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy curfew Batman, this will be interesting

Is it even practical. Will they have guards every 20m along every road. What happens when the unknowing tourist wanders out for a drink. Will they be arrested ? Jails will not accomodate all the offenders. Just so impractical.

• Like 1

Whoops! There goes the late-night arrivals at the airport.... (which BTW was almost deserted an hour ago).

In BKK they have said tourists can travel TO the airport and if needed the army would provide transport.......of course they do not have the Phuket Taxi Mafia there.

• Like 1

Whoops! There goes the late-night arrivals at the airport.... (which BTW was almost deserted an hour ago).

In BKK they have said tourists can travel TO the airport and if needed the army would provide transport.......of course they do not have the Phuket Taxi Mafia there.

I don't see any official announcements as yet about travel to/from airport.

As some wag just posted "Free airport transfers in a real army truck - Amazing Thailand!"

• Like 1

As some wag just posted "Free airport transfers in a real army truck - Amazing Thailand!"

Try CNN and Channel News Asia

Local 7-11 said they will close before 10pm. The staff at the SuperCheap told that they will be open whole night..

It would be interesting to know how well the curfew will hold in Phuket.

Wife just back in the door from picking up a friend at the airport. She never noticed anything unusual on the road back, no military or police presence. Friends says only 18 pax on the flight down from BKK. Bangkok (swampy) airport deserted.

Maybe flights arriving in Thailand, after 10pm, were cancelled by the various airlines, due to the curfew.

Airlines have a duty of care to staff and passengers.

Thanks for the updates folks.

Rumor has it that they are going to shut down the internet at 10 PM also.

I find this a little hard to believe, but, you never know.

If that's true, that could also mean no mobile phone communication due to mobile device data/internet. Surely not.

Holy curfew Batman, this will be interesting

Is it even practical. Will they have guards every 20m along every road. What happens when the unknowing tourist wanders out for a drink. Will they be arrested ? Jails will not accomodate all the offenders. Just so impractical.

Every business will be closed. There will be nothing for the tourists to do but to wander back home.

A tourist area like Phuket, Bangla and the likes closed. Nuts. Shows like Simon and FantaSea unable to operate..

What about late night flight arraivals ? And departures ?

Kata Kid. You referenced the scribe in the HKT Gazzie but I gather you didn't read it???

The issue of air travel is covered!!!!!! Please post a condensed version?????

A tourist area like Phuket, Bangla and the likes closed. Nuts. Shows like Simon and FantaSea unable to operate..

What about late night flight arraivals ? And departures ?

Kata Kid. You referenced the scribe in the HKT Gazzie but I gather you didn't read it???

The issue of air travel is covered!!!!!! Please post a condensed version?????

Where did I reference the HKT Gazette ? I still don't see any confirmed Phuket news report regarding travel to/from the airport. If you have read such a HKT Gazette news reports then post the link. There is a report from the airport authories that the airport will be open. It's the travel part that I am more interested in.