Awaiting the wet season … a slow start?

Well it was late starting. but it's made up for lost time. We've not being able to harvest rubber for over a week. Rain is coming in horizontal. The land is already water logged upstream, so almost every time it rains now, the stream bursts it's banks.

• 4 weeks later...
For me here in Lopbui it still is a slow start,no rain in our area for 16 days now just a wind from the south west,just drying everything up.
We have run out of grass for the cattle,not that we had a lot ,but a bit of rain kept it going,feeding silage make back in January + our regular stand by, Gratin.
Had a calf born 3 weeks ago doing well ,but another bull ,Mum has had 4 calves all bull calves,
sods law,could do with a heiffer from her.
This area is big dairy one,with lots of maize,they is a local saying about maize,will it be "Pan-Woar-Yim" or smiling cow Veriety
maize grows ,flowers ,no cobs form,then the local dairy farmer's come, and cut it ,chop it ,make it in to silage and feed it to the cows ,makes a change from rice staw,makes them smile, well over the past 3 days cattle are smilling ,a field very near me, of 25 Rie has gone for cattle feed the maize guy will make about 2000 bart selling his crop, other crops in the area have also failed no rain, in the next week more crops will be cattle feed if no rain comes,we lost 40 rai of maize 5 years ago no rain.
Thai TV has given 30-60% rain for Lopburi,for the past week ,but not for us.
To-day is Khow-pan-sar ,start of the Thai lent and for some start of the rice planting season,not round here,dry, this is the second year running it has been like this, I think the weather is changing,past years have not been normal.
Yours Regs.
KS
  • Like 1

For me here in Lopbui it still is a slow start,no rain in our area for 16 days now just a wind from the south west,just drying everything up.
We have run out of grass for the cattle,not that we had a lot ,but a bit of rain kept it going,feeding silage make back in January + our regular stand by, Gratin.
Had a calf born 3 weeks ago doing well ,but another bull ,Mum has had 4 calves all bull calves,
sods law,could do with a heiffer from her.
This area is big dairy one,with lots of maize,they is a local saying about maize,will it be "Pan-Woar-Yim" or smiling cow Veriety
maize grows ,flowers ,no cobs form,then the local dairy farmer's come, and cut it ,chop it ,make it in to silage and feed it to the cows ,makes a change from rice staw,makes them smile, well over the past 3 days cattle are smilling ,a field very near me, of 25 Rie has gone for cattle feed the maize guy will make about 2000 bart selling his crop, other crops in the area have also failed no rain, in the next week more crops will be cattle feed if no rain comes,we lost 40 rai of maize 5 years ago no rain.
Thai TV has given 30-60% rain for Lopburi,for the past week ,but not for us.
To-day is Khow-pan-sar ,start of the Thai lent and for some start of the rice planting season,not round here,dry, this is the second year running it has been like this, I think the weather is changing,past years have not been normal.
Yours Regs.
KS

As I type a nice bit of heavy rain,should save some maize crops ,a lot of the sugar cane guys will sleep a bit better to night,hope to get some more soon.
Any rain my cattle soon come runing home from the field to the shead and shelter,do like water on they backs ,unlike uk cattle ,look up and carry on grazing.
  • Like 1

My wife came home today from the parents', apparently no rice is being grown in Amphur Thoen (between Tak and Lampang) this year, not enough water.

Not to mention no money to be made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife came home today from the parents', apparently no rice is being grown in Amphur Thoen (between Tak and Lampang) this year, not enough water.

Not to mention no money to be made.

You'll be happy to know it's hammering down outside ,I live smack bang in the middle of Tak and Lampang 60 klms from Thoen and it's raining hard out ,all week it's been trying to.
  • Like 2

Downpour last evening,village flooded and local klong rose 10 feet and still rising .

Its now flowing into our lowest ponds which are brim full, hopefully it stays below the level of the emergency fencing which is deployed to keep the fish in or its season wipeout time.sad.png

• Like 1

Downpour last evening,village flooded and local klong rose 10 feet and still rising .

Its now flowing into our lowest ponds which are brim full, hopefully it stays below the level of the emergency fencing which is deployed to keep the fish in or its season wipeout time.sad.png

Mate, nice to know you've had a decent downpour.

Ten feet up in the Klong ...  w00t.gif

With the ponds, do you have 'banks' (raised edges)?

I'd love to see a shot of the emergency fencing, size of the gauze and exit strategy for the water out flow.

I ask so much ...  laugh.png

This time last year. The stream behind the house, was in the house. Which is about 15' above the banks. So far it's a trickle. and I'm in the wettest province.

Ranong?

Yes. Since that post it's made up for it lol

• Like 1

In Brisneyland for a month, but back home near Soi Dao, Chantaburi now. It was a slow start, last
year water over my causeway, mid June, dams all full as googs by end June, this year started more
regular rain since I left and has been good in the two weeks I've been back but no water over the
bridge yet, nor dams full though they are rising and the stream has filled all the holes along our
boundary so its filling up the causeway pond now, just waiting for the next bit as the ground is
still waterlogged everything will run off now. No irrigation for a while now, the lamyai trees are
flowering and it could be a bumper crop. fingers crossed.
  • Like 1

Needed a faster bike yesterday to out run the storm. Got caught on a ride to Khanom. Thought I could make it around the downpour, no chance :) Took shelter for an hour at some random house, owner was pleased to chat with a farang so something positive came out of it...
Getting daily showers at our place, just south east of Surat. Building the last few days into proper rains.
  • Like 1