Buffet Staff Attempt to limit me to Three Plates?

deknoiJT

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, many "buffets" in Thailand have a concept of ordering all you like from a menu and having it served rather from a steam table. But I have never seen a setup like that announce you are limited in how many times you can keep ordering more dishes. However, and quite obviously, there is a psychological guilt and shame factor with such a structure and I am certain in general there is less obscene overeating with deals like that. In other words instead of piling stuff on your plates yourself, you've got to deal with a human being every time you want more food. Of course some people have no shame and won't feel limited by that, but I think most people do feel social pressure that way.

Many buffets (not only in Thailand) warn customers if they leave too much wasted food on their plates, they will be subject to a penalty charge. Presumably that puts some limits on some people, but the downside of that is that people probably feel obligated to finish food they have taken and don't really like.

Edited by Jingthing

The question that begs to be answered, are all buffets to be considered all you can eat buffets?? Is seems from what most dictionaries say, the answer would be NO, unless stated otherwise. For the record, I am an American who loves all you can eat buffets, especially bbq pork ribs and fried catfish with hush puppies, and no, they are not shoes

The question that begs to be answered, are all buffets to be considered all you can eat buffets?? Is seems from what most dictionaries say, the answer would be NO, unless stated otherwise. For the record, I am an American who loves all you can eat buffets, especially bbq pork ribs and fried catfish with hush puppies, and no, they are not shoes

All washed down with a diet coke ?

I remember 20 odd years ago, while eating at a seafood place in South Carolina that had all you could eat boiled shrimp, the food was brought to your table. The first 3 plates were mildly spiced. The rest they brought were hot as hell and had a hard time with them. Just leave it to the kitchen to solve the problem. The ex wife knew that for me, there was no such thing as the shame factor.

In the south, it is sweetened ice tea. Diet coke is for queers.

• Like 2

:o

I think yes unless limits (portions, times, etc.) are clearly posted. The penalties for food wastage (also clearly stated) can be considered a limitation on unlimited food as well.

So, would you consider yourself free to act like a glutton at a wedding buffet? If not, why is an hotel buffet different?

I think yes unless limits (portions, times, etc.) are clearly posted. The penalties for food wastage (also clearly stated) can be considered a limitation on unlimited food as well.

So, would you consider yourself free to act like a glutton at a wedding buffet? If not, why is an hotel buffet different?

They are not the same thing at all so I won't waste my time even bothering to answer such an irrelevant question.

• Like 1

oh 'ang on! It's just come back to me - the concept of being served your portion, from a bae-marie, is known as "buffet-style"

I'd been 'Mess Food' eating that way for 24 years in the military.

Be a bit quich-ish to have called it out'n'out a 'buffet', whilst roughing it out in the Bush, on Bivouac

I get unsweetened iced tea in the South. No doubt I am a DAMN YANKEE! Yes the locals are crazy for sugar ... basically they have no regard for their health. Sad, really.

• Like 1

Yes, many "buffets" in Thailand have a concept of ordering all you like from a menu and having it served rather from a steam table. But I have never seen a setup like that announce you are limited in how many times you can keep ordering more dishes. However, and quite obviously, there is a psychological guilt and shame factor with such a structure and I am certain in general there is less obscene overeating with deals like that. In other words instead of piling stuff on your plates yourself, you've got to deal with a human being every time you want more food. Of course some people have no shame and won't feel limited by that, but I think most people do feel social pressure that way.

Many buffets (not only in Thailand) warn customers if they leave too much wasted food on their plates, they will be subject to a penalty charge. Presumably that puts some limits on some people, but the downside of that is that people probably feel obligated to finish food they have taken and don't really like.

I find it a good rule as otherwise a lot of waste would happen. It would teach people to start with a little bit to see if they like it or not. This is a sensible rule and in Oishy its a standard rule.

Must be frightening for the poor staff when this hulk lumbers in and starts breaking furniture and chowing down with both hands.

Excuse me right hand only! He's Muslim. He was probably eating using his hand without cutlery to show off his faith. I wonder if it was a Halal Buffet? Or did it have the "Forbidden Fruit", Pigs in Blankets?

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

probably not worth bothering with that angle ATF.

You know that you can get halal bacon these days, along with most small goods.

They are taste/smell/texture simulation of the real thing, made from something 'acceptable', and it's very popular with the crowd...

• Like 1

probably not worth bothering with that angle ATF.

You know that you can get halal bacon these days, along with most small goods.

They are taste/smell/texture simulation of the real thing, made from something 'acceptable', and it's very popular with the crowd...

Yep, Turkey Bacon is quite good.

ohmy.png

In that case, welcome to the club Soutpeel!

• Like 1

Must be frightening for the poor staff when this hulk lumbers in and starts breaking furniture and chowing down with both hands.

Excuse me right hand only! He's Muslim. He was probably eating using his hand without cutlery to show off his faith. I wonder if it was a Halal Buffet? Or did it have the "Forbidden Fruit", Pigs in Blankets?

Oh dear!

You see, when I read comments like these I know that you have never dined with Muslim people and that you have no Muslim friends.

Please continue with your zealous bigotry if you wish continuing to look the fool. Your ignorance of modern Muslims is a great source of laughter in our house.

Have you ever been to a buffet ATF? Please tell us your experience

I agree with the OP if it's a buffet and no rules are posted about return times, they are out of bounds announcing new rules after the customer has committed to eating there. I also agree it is not necessarily (but may indeed be) glutinous to visit the buffet many times. That is because different people have different plans of attack at buffets. One might want small samples of a variety of foods ... and then later go back for more portions of the ones that prove personally pleasing. Or any number of reasons. Of course it is no secret many people overeat at buffets. That's their business ... and if restaurants are in the business of selling buffets, they've made the offer, they are obligated to HONOR it.

A buffet is a buffet and as long as there are no rules announced you should be able to eat all you want. I sometimes go to Oishi bufet for all the nice salmon and such. They do have a time limit there (seems only normal) Otherwise no limits, if there are limits they should be clear, however as this is Thailand you can't always expect it to be in English.

But I would say.. buffet means eat all you want for a certain time.

Check the fine print. They do claim they can charge you for any excess food left on your plate. I don't blame them.

BTW, Oishi buffets are my favorite place to eat in BKK. I like industrial grade sushi, I get to pick exactly what I want, and I don't ever have feel bad about walking away from a typical plate full of Thai food that's too hot for my system.

Enough already!

There has already been one public warning about flaming and acting in an abusive manner in this thread. Any more such posts will be deleted and suspensions could be given.

Whether the OP is on a lark or is painfully honest is irrelevant. Whether posters think he is another reincarnation of a more established member is irrelevant. The name calling is out-of-place.

This is a thread about a member's experience at a buffet, period. The posts on what a buffet is or should be are appropriate, but quite a bit of the posts in this thread have gone over the line.

If you do not like the OP's threads, as is your right, the best thing to do is ignore them and move on. If you believe there is a violation of ThaiVisa regulations, then use the report button.

This is a final warning. No more flames, no more trolling in this thread.

OP: What a thoroughly unpleasant man you are.

To not even have the decency to speak to the staff member and to then mock him with your gluttony.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

And love the way your partner's standards compell him to make a scene at every opportunity but don't actually prevent him from associating with a pig such as yourself.

Why thankyou for your critique sir! I shall assign it to ....wait I have forgotten it already...

Seriously though.

Do YOU understand the concept of a buffet?

Is it okay for a staff member to arbitrarily limit me?

My partner made NO scene (read the OP and stop embarrassing yourself) He was angry on my behalf. When one day you too have a partner that loves you like mine does, you will understand what that person will do for you. He was looking out for me, protecting me.

Mocking someone who has been rude to you should be seen as a perfectly reasonable response. Perhaps you would say 'thankyou' to someone who is rude to yourself, but I have more character and backbone than you it seems.

...I am an American who loves all you can eat buffets, especially bbq pork ribs and fried catfish with hush puppies, and no, they are not shoes

Fried catfish with hush puppies. Congrats. You made me homesick... But I wash mine down with unsweet tea- Yankee transplant.

(You can keep the ribs for the most part- too much like work. Now, pulled pork- mmm mmm good)

Edited by impulse

Oh dear!

You see, when I read comments like these I know that you have never dined with Muslim people and that you have no Muslim friends.

Please continue with your zealous bigotry if you wish continuing to look the fool. Your ignorance of modern Muslims is a great source of laughter in our house.

Have you ever been to a buffet ATF? Please tell us your experience

I don't know what Modern Muslims are. Are they the same as Modern Christians that allow same sex marriages? Can they eat Haram?

Since Muslims in general have such a bad rap maybe you could enlighten me.

I have been to many buffets some excellent some not so, but I much prefer a la carte.

ohmy.png

In that case, welcome to the club Soutpeel!

Which club would that be ?, as I wouldn't qualify on any of the criteria

Edited by Soutpeel