How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry wrong wording a hand full of old farts get offended if you donnt agree with there posts

YOU don't know who is replying to posts so forget the "old" comment eh, ****Insulting comment edited out****.......laugh.png

Edited by metisdead

A whole country of Thais don't think there's anything wrong with their word "farang" and will never stop using.

Interview all 65m of them, did you? That must have been time consuming.

The girl at a local shop used to call my child and I 'farang' much to the chargrin of her mother (the girl's mother). On the 3rd or 4th occasion I called her 'Thai' and pointed out the 'Thai' to my child.

We have never been called farang in there since. The next time we went in my child was given some sweets free of charge by them.

A whole country of Thais don't think there's anything wrong with their word "farang" and will never stop using.

The girl at a local shop used to call my child and I 'farang' much to the chargrin of her mother (the girl's mother). On the 3rd or 4th occasion I called her 'Thai' and pointed out the 'Thai' to my child.

We have never been called farang in there since. The next time we went in my child was given some sweets free of charge by them.

You haven't disproved my point. She still doesn't see anything wrong with the word. Because when you're not around, she's telling all who'll listen about the "crazy farang who's taken political correctness to absurd levels." Congratulations.

Let me educate you a bit. One technically can't be racist towards another person of the same race. A dark skin Thai and a light skin Thai are the same race. Get it? Call it what you want, but it's not racism.

Unfortunately Thai is not a single race, but a multi racial country.

It's quite possible for a Thai of Chinese ethnic background to be a racist towards a Thai or Indian ethnic background. Not to mention all the assorted Burmese, Malay, Khmer, Issan, Lanna and hill tribe ethnic backgrounds.

What in God's name are you talking about? You're trying to redefine the concept of race? If you want to talk about discrimination, that's fine. But you nutters are trying to change the definition of racism so that you can call Thais racist. Give it up already.

Just have a cool read >>> here

When you really know the facts, you complain less - there are no saints in this planet. All are the same. Some just dream that they are superior with ill gotten wealth.

Farang is a sort of "Title" I would say, compared to terms used for people of Africa, etc.

Edited by ravip

They can call me "falang" or "bak Sida" they do to my face, I usually just reply with, "very original, Gookey" or "and you're a slinky chinky" and I feel a whole lot better

Edited by Smurkster

I have done the same thing went being pointed out as a falang, I will turn around and say "Thai" as in a "Thank you so much for being so observant, Captain Obvious"

• Like 1

I love being called farang, the name itself doesnt bother me.

The reason I love it, it gets our PC, 2 week millionaire brigade, cant speak a word of Thai, all hot and bothered.

Perhaps our resident "falung"expert from Pattaya, 23 variations on the word patented could offer his opinion.

Should I pity or laugh at the person who calls me farang or falang.

If they call me falang should I ask them, why cant you speak Thai, are you from Laos?

Tamai put pasat thai mai ben, khon lao rue p(l)ao?

That usually pisses them off.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

I have done the same thing went being pointed out as a falang, I will turn around and say "Thai" as in a "Thank you so much for being so observant, Captain Obvious"

You should say "brown" or something that refers to their skin color, that would be more appropriate.

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

this tells you quite a lot of about evolution capacity of thai people

while I agree about the "evolution capacity" of Thai people

I always thought that the word dated back to the first Portuguese traders in the Ayutthaya Kingdom....I could be wrong

It's an insulting word and I don't like it and always try to avoid that word. For the same effort they can call us tourists.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

its not insulting to me. and we arent all tourists

I'm also not a tourist. But it's still a better word imo.

It's an insulting word and I don't like it and always try to avoid that word. For the same effort they can call us tourists.

its not insulting to me. and we arent all tourists

I'm also not a tourist. But it's still a better word imo.

perhaps not in their opinion.

thais started to call westerners ¨farang¨ since the french vietnamese war around 1950, and nowadays in 2014 they still calling it

this tells you quite a lot of about evolution capacity of thai people

Are you sure you don't mean the Franco Thai war in 1940? Or in 1664 when the first French arrived in Ayutthaya?

I like it fine.

In Thailand, I refer to myself as "farang",

Just so people here will know who I am talking about.

Now, I refer to myself as farang on social media sites around the world.

Sometimes people get confused.

No, problem.

I know it is not a racially charged term.

It is enough for me to know, and for them to learn.

I like it fine.

No, problem.

You need to have some more self respect.

I like it fine.

No, problem.

You need to have some more self respect.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Also, I sort of enjoy being called a round eye, by fellow round eyes.

It is all in how you perceive the references.

I enjoy them because they spice up my life.

I have always had the feeling there is a racist element when we are called Farang, I am used to it and my Wife knows I don't like it, personally I think it is very ignorant and lazy and insulting, but its never going to change so if we want to live here, we must live with IT

I like it fine.

No, problem.

Do you not have one single farang friend to hang out with?

If so, do you call yourself Farang me, and Farang him?