Fearing military, Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

Lite Beer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have conservative views on prostitution.

I view it as sexually taking advantage of someone in poverty or desperation. Akin to rape in my mind.

I realize that much of Pattaya's revenue my drop off but I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Be innovative and figure something else out that doesn't make you the seediest city on the planet.

It'll take a huge clampdown to accomplish anything in cleaning up the sex trade in Thailand.

ok, let the "you pay for it anyway comments" start

• Like 1

“I want to completely change the image of Pattaya from being sin city to a friendly town that everyone can enjoy,”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You'd think they'd know by now you can't turn a ho into a housewife. Pattaya with no adult entertainment would not turn into a family town but into a ghost town.

it already is a ghost town, its only Bangkokians coming down to shop at central in the weekends thats keeping it going at the moment

Isaans economy will take a big dive!

I'm very interested to know why? Surely not based on the widely held but erroneous belief that the majority of street girls come from Isaan (statistics please). Poverty may be widespread in Isaan but the morals appear to be a lot higher than the majority of Thailand.

I just told my wife and she laughed. What about the Issan girls? They not make money selling beer?

My wife’s other comment, was that all the stupid farang go there.

At some point this middle class dominate value will find resistance.

Some of the legal activities need to be cleaned up, but to eradicate what has provided many a income for many years will not make everyone happy.

It's that kind of regional prejudice that perpetuates the negative stereotypes that unfairly tarnish hard-working, honest, beautiful people with the wrong brush.

What about the North girls? The South girls? The Bangkok girls? There are prostitutes from all over Thailand.

The majority of working girls in Pattaya are from Isaan, but then the Isaan region pretty much makes up for half of Thailand's population (26 million odd people). So it's somewhat disproportionate.

The large majority of Isaan women are disgusted by what they hear about women selling themselves in Pattaya and other tourist destinations. If you know anything about Isaan-Lao culture, you'll know of the reserved, frigid approach that surrounds intimate interaction.

When I lived in Samui and Chiang Mai, I met girls selling sex from all over Thailand, many from the south and places in the north like Lampang and Chiang Rai.

Bangkok has some of the worst poverty in Thailand, see Klong Toey slum for reference. Where there is poverty and poor women with kids to support you will find prostitution, drug abuse and alcoholism.

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1

If they really wanted to make Pattaya a "friendly" town they could enforce the parking regs so traffic could actually move. Having the meter taxis use their meters would be an improvement, also. Ending prostitution? Anywhere in Thailand? Ha, ha.

• Like 1

I'm very interested to know why? Surely not based on the widely held but erroneous belief that the majority of street girls come from Isaan (statistics please). Poverty may be widespread in Isaan but the morals appear to be a lot higher than the majority of Thailand.

maybe they are lying but 90% of them will say they are from Issan. not that I have interrogated all of them. where do you think they are from?

• Like 1

A big dive to what? Something lower than your IQ?

To something even more negative than your negative, low quality retort. If you could even call it that!

Is it time to Invest in Ban Chang?

In what regard?

I am assuming that Khun Kiniyow meas in the classic sense of the word. I.e. invest money for the purposes of making a profit. Please correct me if I am wrong KINIYOW.

This conjure up memories how Cardinal Sin and the mayor of Manila cleaned up Eremite

and the Malate districts of all the hundreds of bars there in one fell swoop. that have resulted in massive

unemployment and significant drop in tourists to manila..

The same going to happened here, massive drop in tourism and even bigger drop in real estate

and hotel occupancy rates, let see if the new PM have big enough balls to take the Pattaya's

godfathers on.....

Pattaya's godfathers, well he has taken on Phuket, Patongs king pins.

Also we here at TV have this fixation about tourism as though it is the be all and end all of Thailand, the new keepers of Thailand will push through their reforms with or without tourists and the assorted foreign riff raff.

Prostitution, it is the oldest profession in the world.

If they want to reduce it (they will never eradicate it), they need to look at the root causes and eradicate poverty, and the root cause of that in Thailand is corruption.

That would work, as for as the poor prostitutes are concerned. How would they deal with the wealthier ones?

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Quality Tourist destination - wanna bees, should follow the lead....

BUT Most Tourists come to Thailand for SEX - to varying degrees of intensity and er... "choice"

And here's the wake-up call they also come because Thailand is Not Normal.

On a quiet night in Patayya there are 20 tour coaches waiting for passengers to return from Walking Street -

the tourists are not there for the walking...

• Like 1

We are arresting anyone for whom we have evidence of trying to trade sex for money, he said.

Hm. I guess they don't know about this small area of town called Walking Street, because it's pretty quiet and mostly undercover, but I suspect this may be happening in 1 or 2 bars there...

Any Walking Street bar that allows prositution to take place on the premises is asking for trouble. That's why the barfine was invented. All perfectly legal and a nice Thai solution.

Good. These corrupt people will only act when someone stronger forces them too. Gotta love ot when the army cuts through the red tape and corruption and orders them to do their jobs!

Cant wait to see the military starting the CLEAN UP in Pattaya, starting with all those (red) corrupt officials and police officers (let the bargirls take care for their families, but remove those ladyboys and other female hookers from Beach Road for once and always !)

i know, they started already cleaning in city hall and police station... but there is more to wipe out...

Oh and BTW please dont pitty all those poo yai owners of the biggest entertainment places in Walking str as those are probably build with "dirty money"...

If they can do it in Phuket they can also do it in Ptty coffee1.gif

Agree entirely with them removing The LadyBoys from Beach Road. The last few years have seen them taking over the place!... Get them back into Boys Town, into the Soi 6 Bars, and any other Bar that will use their services. Having LadyBoys on Beach Road is like advertising A-I-D-S, and that prospect should not be allowed to 'fester'!..... Get them out of Walking Street, too,.... If they're not working in a club, there!

Suradit69 you are on point with with your prohibition comment. I am glad we are finally getting rid of the prohibition on Marijuana as well. Prohibition of anything that people will always do is a child's version of morality. We should regulate for public and tax it, not prohibit the behavior.

• Like 2

This conjure up memories how Cardinal Sin and the mayor of Manila cleaned up Eremite

and the Malate districts of all the hundreds of bars there in one fell swoop. that have resulted in massive

unemployment and significant drop in tourists to manila..

The same going to happened here, massive drop in tourism and even bigger drop in real estate

and hotel occupancy rates, let see if the new PM have big enough balls to take the Pattaya's

godfathers on.....

This happened on my second night there in 1992 I think.

Eradicating prostitution from Pattaya is a MASSIVE boost for the country's reputation. The only thing I worry about is that the sex addicts who regularly visit or live there spread up to Isarn. Hopefully they will go to that other spiritual mecca called Cambodia, where there exploits are tolerated. This has gone on too long in Thailand.