Pata zoo’s licence cannot be revoked as the zoo has not breached any law

Lite Beer

Pata zoo’s licence cannot be revoked as the zoo has not breached any law

9-24-2014-9-38-48-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation cannot withdraw the licence of Pata zoo because the zoo has not done anything against the law, Mr Niphon Chotibarn, the department’s director-general, said today.

Mr Niphon’s statement was in response to a call by a group of animal lovers who today submitted a list of 35,000 supporters to the department’s chief demanding that the department revokes Pata zoo’s licence and to move the only gorilla, Bua Noi, out of the zoo to a new home.

The group led by Mrs Siljira Apaitharn said that putting the animals, including the gorilla, in a zoo on top of a high-rise building was unsafe in case of a fire. She made clear that her group’s intention was not to have the zoo closed down but to find a better place for the animals.

But Mr Niphon argued that the Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act does not forbid animals to be kept in high-rise building and, therefore, Pata zoo did not violate the law for keeping the zoo on the top of the building.

The department extended the zoo’s licence on September 13 on the condition that Pata shopping mall must improve fire safety measures and fire prevention plan as well as working out an evacuation plan for the animals in case of a fire incident at the building.

As for Bua Noi, the 27-year old gorilla, Mr Niphon said that the Pata zoo had asked for a delay in the relocation of the gorilla to a new home on the ground for safety reason.

The zoo management explained that relocation of Bua Noi would need investment of a new home for the ape which may cost up to 50 million baht and the management felt that it might not worth the relocation, said the department chief.

He suggested the animal lovers group to talk with the zoo’s management to work out a solution for Bua Noi.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pata-zoos-licence-revoked-zoo-breached-law/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-24

Moving this animal opens up a whole bag of worms. Most likely event, he would need to be sedated, then carried out. Sedation only last for so long. It will take time to move him out. At age 27 he probably has never had any other gorillas to associate with, so how well will he adapt to the new home?

As in typical fashion, total lack of common sense has evaded too many on too many levels. Just like those who think keeping as baby chimp is a good idea. Wait until it grows up, has never had adult supervision, and remains an out of control juvenile delinquent. Different story all together and the same with this gorilla.

Caging any animals make me sick... this a true sad story and horrible life for the monkey but when I see this fashion people with dogs in their handbags I feel the same sad for these animals and these horrible people who call themselves animal lovers.

If you have a huge garden and dont work so you really have time for a dag it should be ok but in europe also too many couples both working and the dog stuck at home tye whole day waiting for those 10 minutes walk outside in which he has to wait to go to the toilet.... sick

Im not a vegan tree hugger and dont like dogs but no animal should be kept outside their natural boundries

Excellent posting, with you 100 percent, as for that poor gorilla and all the rest of the animals in the Zoo, it's just sad, imagine your life in a cage.... FOREVER.....so so sad..

• Like 2

Truely a very sad story. Why was this allowed in the first case? Of course money talks and the powers that be walk. After all this time that this beautiful creature has been caged she will never be able to intergrate with others easily as she has been alone for too long. I hope the WWF get involved in this case and move the gorrilla to a more suitable place in the fresh air and beable to live out the rest of her life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the Zoo wants to negotiate a sale of the Gorilla. The only problem is I am not sure where his best option

for a new home is. Zoos and Sealand type amusement parks should no longer be allowed to open world wide. They

should all be asked for a wind down plan. The idea they are for research purposes is ridiculous. There may be a need

for breeding purposes to help wild populations but the facilities should be built appropriately with the animals welfare in

mind not as tourist attractions. Whether elephants, gorillas, dolphins or whales the captivity for profit has to end.

• Like 1

ANIMAL RIGHTS
Pata Zoo fights efforts to move Bua Noi

Jutarat Tipnumpa,
Janjira Pongrai
The Nation

30244055-01_big.jpg?1411598676972

BANGKOK: -- THE OWNERS of Pata Zoo are fighting back efforts by many people to move the gorilla, Bua Noi, to what they consider "a better home".

"Don't use mob rule here," Pata Zoo director Kanit Sermsirimongkhon said yesterday. "We have complied with all relevant laws".

He said his zoo had a proper licence and its hygiene standards met all existing legal requirements. The licence has been renewed since August 13, he added.

Kanit was speaking after animal activist Sinjira Apaitan and her supporters met with Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation chief Nipon Chotibal yesterday to discuss how Bua Noi's fate can be improved.

Pata Zoo is on the top two floors of Pata Department Store, an ageing building on a busy street in Bangkok. It houses more than 200 species of animals, including reptiles, turtles, birds, monkeys, leopards, tigers, bears and the lone gorilla, Bua Noi.

According to Kanit, Bua Noi is the only female gorilla in Thailand and perhaps Asia.

"We have taken care of Bua Noi well. She is healthy emotionally and physically," Kanit insisted.

Sinjira, a Thai woman who lives in New Zealand, has been trying to raise public awareness, saying a gorilla like Bua Noi deserves a better home than just being locked up in a cage on the top of a Bangkok department store. Her online petition via change.org website had attracted 36,440 supporters as of press time yesterday.

Manop Praditwongsin, a vet at Pata Zoo, said if Bua Noi was moved to live on real soil, she could face the risk of bacterial infection.

"Many gorillas have died of such infections in Singapore before," he said, adding that Bua Noi was doing just fine living on a cement floor.

During his discussion with Sinjira, Nipon said he would look into her group's complaint.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Pata-Zoo-fights-efforts-to-move-Bua-Noi-30244055.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-25

Moving this animal opens up a whole bag of worms. Most likely event, he would need to be sedated, then carried out. Sedation only last for so long. It will take time to move him out. At age 27 he probably has never had any other gorillas to associate with, so how well will he adapt to the new home?

As in typical fashion, total lack of common sense has evaded too many on too many levels. Just like those who think keeping as baby chimp is a good idea. Wait until it grows up, has never had adult supervision, and remains an out of control juvenile delinquent. Different story all together and the same with this gorilla.

In your post you tried to sound knowledgeable about zoos and wild animals. I, who actually have the experience in this field can see you do not.

• Like 1

I love this zoo. I first went there 20 years ago with my son and daughter. Now i go with my grandson and he love's it. We cant see the animals at dusit zoo. But at pata we get a real hands on experience. The animals are very wellcared for and it's very clean. I know many people who would have been sad to see it close

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50m Baht for a new home? utter <deleted>, even with the cost of land. I work quite often with the wildlife rescue center here and enclosures can cost a few thousand dollars, sometimes a few 10's of thousands. If they plan to build a $1.5m enclosure then they will have the most expensive (and no doubt impressive, lol) enclosure on the planet. Gold plated bars no doubt.

In your post you tried to sound knowledgeable about zoos and wild animals. I, who actually have the experience in this field can see you do not.

Oh really? And just what makes you an expert on the subject? Other than your moniker.

and what about humans who is kept in high rise buildings? why Mrs Siljira Apaitharn does not take actions to protect those who have to work in skyscrapers because they can't find other job? Can dear Khun Siljira use her own money to let those people quit there jobs and spend time with there families?

or can she try to protect cows and pigs from being killed for meat?

seems like for her gorilla's well being seems more important than cows lifes... or even human lifes

or it's just much easier (in term of fundraising) to fight with a zoo for a gorilla than with transnational corporations (who make people work in skyscrapers) or powerful food holdings, who kill thousands of cows every day.

also, general public likes to save cute puppies, charming pandas, sweet kittens - because spending 5$ to save a dog from the pic makes them look better in there own eyes, but a simple acceptation of the idea that eating a cow is nothing better than killing a pup - make people feel shameful - and nobody likes shame.

what a hypocrisy!

disgusting

Edited by Jeffreyake

I love this zoo. I first went there 20 years ago with my son and daughter. Now i go with my grandson and he love's it. We cant see the animals at dusit zoo. But at pata we get a real hands on experience. The animals are very wellcared for and it's very clean. I know many people who would have been sad to see it close

what a horribly totally selfish point of veiw. all about i I want , i like. No thoughts about these poor poor creatures. this poster, the manager and the laws come ax as something from the 1960's,,,all sadly reflecting a retarded thailand.
  • Like 1

what a horribly totally selfish point of veiw. all about i I want , i like. No thoughts about these poor poor creatures. this poster, the manager and the laws come ax as something from the 1960's,,,all sadly reflecting a retarded thailand.

if Thailand is retarded for you why don't you come back to your awesome First World country and finally LEAVE THAILAND TO DEAL WITH HIS ISSUES?

it's like a disease - way to many farangs come here to teach Thais what they should do. Developing World is tired of these "misters in cork helmets" who always know it better how others should behave. If you don't want to be Thai in Thailand - go back to US and be an American.

Nobody needs your opinion here, relax.

Edited by Jeffreyake

some things are pleasant about being in Thailand and some things arnt ,if you think its fine, thats up to you, for me its not and opinions seeing this travesty from a self ish personal perspective IMO is both sad and ignorant and the law saying it IS ok ,again, IMO is retarded and reflects poorly on Thailand and thats my opinion as your entitled to yours,however lacking in refinement it may be , but there you go that's Thailandclap2.gif

Oh mods AND JUNTA Just to let you know, however much you say it aint meant to be offensive its neaRLY ALWAYS USED IN A DEROGATORY MANNER i and many others find the term farang's offensive as Asians would be offended if they were grouped together and all called yellow people .. TIME IT WAS STOPPED

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

The more effective society get's rid of parasites - the more prosperous it is.
all evil comes from people like this - leftists - "intellectuals"

Just out off interest looked v quickly at some of your previous posts, and took some quick quotes and rest adssured there were some shockers and from what i've just seen IMO you really are one of the most repugnant, ignorant vile bigoted people I've ever had the misfortune to come across on thai visa and from someone who spends most of his time on the football forum that's saying somethingbiggrin.png

Edited by rijit

you really are one of the most repugnant, ignorant vile bigoted people I've ever had the misfortune to come across on thai visa and from someone who spends most of his time on the football forum that's saying somethingbiggrin.png

oh thank you so much. Seems like you've been on football forums too much - you confuse bashing with an intellectual discussion.