Petition against Krabi coal pier plan

Lite Beer

Petition against Krabi coal pier plan
Wasu Vipoosanapat
The Nation

30244241-03_big.jpg

KRABI: -- Egat changed the volume of coal to be shipped through protected area: SGWA

THE STOP Global Warming Association (SGWA) has filed a petition asking that the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) drop its plan to construct a coal-transportation pier in the seaside province of Krabi.

Egat would be building a pier in an environmentally protected zone, SGWA pointed out.

SGWA president Srisuwan Janya and 45 Krabi residents filed the petition with the Central Administrative Court yesterday.

"We will file another complaint against Egat later," Srisuwan added.

The complainants claim that the information provided by Egat was inconsistent. They say that Egat's environmental impact assessment (EIA), which came out in March, stated that the deadweight tonnage of coal shipments passing through this route would be no more than 3,000 tonnes. However, this information was later changed to 10,000 tonnes, they said.

Srisuwan explained that Egat had also hidden information on how the project would affect local communities.

"People in this area deserve to be informed. They should get complete information on the project, not just parts of it," he said.

Meanwhile, Chariya Senpong, Climate and Energy Campaigner of Greenpeace Southeast Asia, said local people were only trying to protect their rights. "After Egat made such a key change to the EIA, it is clear that past public hearings on the project were based on false information," she said.

The complainants have asked the Central Administrative Court to get the pier project cancelled, revoke the EIA, have the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry set up measures to protect the wetland and issue an injunction on the EIA process.

The chosen location for Egat's coal-transportation pier is around the Krabi River estuary, covering 133,200 rai. This area is reportedly part of the wetland protected under the Ramsar Convention, an international treaty for the conservation and sustainable utilisation of wetlands, recognising the fundamental ecological functions of wetlands and their economic, cultural, scientific and recreational value. This area was also marked out as a protected zone in 2001.

"It's necessary to protect this area because it is one of the last remaining seagrass sites in Thailand and home to dugongs. If this project is approved, the ecological system will die," Srisuwan said. "Not only will this have an impact on the environment, it will also affect the livelihood of local fishermen."

He added that SGWA would file another petition -with the Central Administrative Court against Egat's plan to build a coal-fired power plant in Krabi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Petition-against-Krabi-coal-pier-plan-30244241.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-27

• Like 2

The Opposition to this project is very active here by the locals! Specially Krabi Town and area and very strong! You can google it!

Coal is pollution for Water and Air besides destroying the Wetlands.

There are other "Green" non-invasive/distructing technologies nowadays...

• Like 1

The Opposition to this project is very active here by the locals! Specially Krabi Town and area and very strong! You can google it!

Coal is pollution for Water and Air besides destroying the Wetlands.

There are other "Green" non-invasive/distructing technologies nowadays...

Of, course, they would much prefer a power station built far away, or some hugely expensive solar plant producing very little, very expensive electricity.

And the answer is simple. The transmission losses involved in supplying power to the nearest substation should be included in the price, which is based on the generating cost of the nearest station.

Then when economic realities are pitted against Greenpiss propaganda, the local population can decide just how much they are prepared to pay to "Save the Planet" or what ever other gibberish is being fed to them.

• Like 1

"......stated that the deadweight tonnage of coal shipments passing through this route would be no more than 3,000 tonnes. However, this information was later changed to 10,000 tonnes, they said."

It is not stated how often the (3000 tonnes) or 10,000 tonnes would pass through the transloading pier.

Once a week, a month, a year? 10,000 tonnes is not a huge amount by world standards (1 trainload), but may be in a Thai context.

I thought the proposal was as read - a Transportation Pier for coal ... not a coal powered power plant... Is there a coal powered plant or two already in Krabi Province and are just needing a Pier site for of loading coal ? That is what is seems like to me ...

If so there are other sites in the general area not is such sensitive coastal estuary waters... I know one about 25-30 kilometers West North West from central Krabi that already has a large conveyor system going out into the water for the purpose of loading ships with quarry rock, sand and gravel... And I hear that there are plans for another one in the same area... Sounds like a great place for a coal pier to me.... I have no idea why bureaucrats make it so hard on themselves.

But I suspect the real opposition is to the coal fired plants that would use the coal ... where ever they are in Krabi province.

Just wait for the economic boom that could come to much of Thailand by utilizing 'fracking' - the environmentalist will create an Army to oppose it.... But when it comes the trillions of Baht worth of natural gas will turn all the political heads... My prediction - my opinion...

Edited by JDGRUEN

I thought the proposal was as read - a Transportation Pier for coal ... not a coal powered power plant... Is there a coal powered plant or two already in Krabi Province and are just needing a Pier site for of loading coal ? That is what is seems like to me ...

If so there are other sites in the general area not is such sensitive coastal estuary waters... I know one about 25-30 kilometers West North West from central Krabi that already has a large conveyor system going out into the water for the purpose of loading ships with quarry rock, sand and gravel... And I hear that there are plans for another one in the same area... Sounds like a great place for a coal pier to me.... I have no idea why bureaucrats make it so hard on themselves.

But I suspect the real opposition is to the coal fired plants that would use the coal ... where ever they are in Krabi province.

Just wait for the economic boom that could come to much of Thailand by utilizing 'fracking' - the environmentalist will create an Army to oppose it.... But when it comes the trillions of Baht worth of natural gas will turn all the political heads... My prediction - my opinion...

There is an old (40 yr) coal plant that is closing - EGAT is replacing it with a new cleaner coal plant - greenpeace is trying to stop the replacement plant from going ahead - this is just another one of their tactics.

I say please examine their accounts to see if they have been receiving foreign funding for their protests and court actions. If truly local people and funds are protesting then ok - let's talk about it. If it's being funded from foreign sources then revoke their tax status - just like NZ and India.

Would you allow foreigners to fund protests and potential criminal action within your country?

• Like 1

I really wouldn't care if they decided to build more coal/wood/almostanything-fired power stations just as long as Thais are NEVER given the chance to build any nuclear powered generators!

Yes, no nuclear plant is a good reason to live here for me !

People brainwashed by green nuclear scare-mongering.....

Honestly - have you ever seen a gas explosion? Now think about the number of CCGT power stations in Thailand and try and find one with a major incident.

Thailand is an ideal country for nuclear power - low cost of shipping for fuel, well educated engineers, highly efficient and proactive management of the entire electricity generation industry (much, much better than UK, USA, Aus).

I know, I know - you're just trying to smear Thailand by saying that people will cheat on construction - go take a look at the oldest skytrain structures - the oldest motorways - see any evidence of cheap and shoddy construction?

Geeze - stop Thai bashing!

EDIT - I should add that a test nuclear power plant has been running for 20 years without incident near Don Mueang - even the floods didn't bother it.

Further edit - Maybe this link will help you to understand that EGAT has set up test plants for solar, wind and biomass - nuclear is still the best option.

http://www.tfta.or.th/download/Status_of_NPP_Development_in_Thailand.pdf

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 1

So they need to destroy an estuary system/protected wetland because you think they are great builders, what a load of sh*t and you know it. They have other options for this pier, destroying a breeding ground for sea life is not needed. As for their building abilities, yes we have all seen how great they are, the bridges that collapsed killing people recently, the buildings that have collapsed killing people, they are all over the place because corruption has become entrenched in everything. Years ago there was not so much but these days it is everywhere, I would not trust them to build a dog kennel let alone a nuclear facility. Have to wonder what your relationship to all this is, a consultant maybe or someone that will make something out of it ........you are pushing awfully hard. I also dislike greenpeace and think they are full of it but sometimes they do have some things partially right.

• Like 1

So they need to destroy an estuary system/protected wetland because you think they are great builders, what a load of sh*t and you know it. They have other options for this pier, destroying a breeding ground for sea life is not needed. As for their building abilities, yes we have all seen how great they are, the bridges that collapsed killing people recently, the buildings that have collapsed killing people, they are all over the place because corruption has become entrenched in everything. Years ago there was not so much but these days it is everywhere, I would not trust them to build a dog kennel let alone a nuclear facility. Have to wonder what your relationship to all this is, a consultant maybe or someone that will make something out of it ........you are pushing awfully hard. I also dislike greenpeace and think they are full of it but sometimes they do have some things partially right.

Totally agree ! Who is stupid enough to trust people here as builders !

About skytrain, I have the choice not to take it avoid walking under, choice that we would not have if nuclear plants were built here...

The more I know about people stupidity the more I feel that they deserve all the shiiite that happens to them !

<3

About skytrain, I have the choice not to take it avoid walking under, choice that we would not have if nuclear plants were built here...

The more I know about people stupidity the more I feel that they deserve all the shiiite that happens to them !

<3

And of course - neither of you knows what a quote button does - in order that people may track what is going on.

Who told you that the seagrass bed would die? Are you sure you believe them?

And if you feel none of the construction is safe - where do you live? In a cave?

My opinion is you're either -

A) deluded and misled

B.)Anti-nuke trolls

Just remember the co-founder of greenpeace - Dr Patrick Moore - left when he found they had been corrupted by political ideas. He's pro-nuke as well as the safest and cleanest/green reliable power source.

Edited by airconsult

I really wouldn't care if they decided to build more coal/wood/almostanything-fired power stations just as long as Thais are NEVER given the chance to build any nuclear powered generators!

People brainwashed by green nuclear scare-mongering.....

Thailand is an ideal country for nuclear power - low cost of shipping for fuel, well educated engineers, highly efficient and proactive management of the entire electricity generation industry (much, much better than UK, USA, Aus).

I know, I know - you're just trying to smear Thailand by saying that people will cheat on construction - go take a look at the oldest skytrain structures - the oldest motorways - see any evidence of cheap and shoddy construction?

Geeze - stop Thai bashing!

Point of fact, the Skytrain, Metro et al are all foreign design/planned. Efficient management of the electricity generating system, you say? I'd probably believe you had I not lived here several years and put up with the frequent spikes, troughs and brown outs in the supply leading to the damage of electronics... part of every day life here.

There are indeed clever engineers here but one can get all misty-eyed and praise Thailand for its 'achievements' without getting silly and resorting to panning the West.

Whoa, hold up. AFAIK the only person who has said that it will destroy an estuary system/protected wetland is a Greenpiss activist with no qualifications to make such a claim given, and I'm afraid such people are prone to exaggeration, hyperbole and outright lies, knowing that their target audience is most likely as ignorant on the subject as they are.

• Like 1

There is an old (40 yr) coal plant that is closing - EGAT is replacing it with a new cleaner coal plant - greenpeace is trying to stop the replacement plant from going ahead - this is just another one of their tactics.

I say please examine their accounts to see if they have been receiving foreign funding for their protests and court actions. If truly local people and funds are protesting then ok - let's talk about it. If it's being funded from foreign sources then revoke their tax status - just like NZ and India.

Would you allow foreigners to fund protests and potential criminal action within your country?

I agree with your post...I was just proposing a possible alternative site for the pier ... because why get into a big fight when a more logical location is at hand... But TiT... Also I read through the article and didn't notice the new plant ... is that published somewhere else or buried in the document?

There has been one in Bangkok for decades.

See ya!!!!

<3

And of course - neither of you knows what a quote button does - in order that people may track what is going on.

Who told you that the seagrass bed would die? Are you sure you believe them?

And if you feel none of the construction is safe - where do you live? In a cave?

My opinion is you're either -

A) deluded and misled

B.)Anti-nuke trolls

Just remember the co-founder of greenpeace - Dr Patrick Moore - left when he found they had been corrupted by political ideas. He's pro-nuke as well as the safest and cleanest/green reliable power source.

I have spent a lot of my life in and around the ocean, I know quite a lot about estuary needs and sea grass, obvioulsy you know bugger all about it. Any silt generated from building work covers the sea grass and kills it, these areas are very sensitive to the flow of clean water and need to remain as they are with the mangrove areas untouched as they are the water filters and also the home to all the new sea life(fish, crabs, prawns etc). I am not a greenie and do not support them at all but I am able to make up my own mind when I see bullsh*t pieces written by a pandering consultant that can see some financial gain for himself if he cam stop any complaints. I would suggest you actually read up on exactly what happens to an estuary and sea grass when they start to destroy it and cause silted waters to cover growth areas.

I am also not anti nuke, in fact I think it has its place but not here with the standard of thai builders(I am a tradesman), I see all the faults here and with you trying to declare they are great builders I more than know you are full of it and again have no idea about what you are saying. You are becoming a laughing stock with your pathetic reasoning and total lack of knowledge on either subject, what do I think of you, this sums it upjerk.gif

Krabi residents boycott public hearing on coal plant & coal seaport project

1411889824594-wpcf_550x413.jpg

KRABI: -- About 1,000 residents of Krabi province boycott a public hearing staged today by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand to gauge public opinions on its coal plant and coal seaport project.

The residents close their mouths as a symbol of their opposition against the hearing and the project itself.

EGAT has mobilized many supporters of the project to attend the hearing whereas police and defence volunteers have been deployed in full force as a precaution against possible confrontation between the two opposing groups.

Krabi residents have formed a network with environmental groups to oppose the project fearing that it will threaten their livelihoods, ruin natural beauty and marine natural resources and tourism industry which is the main source of income for the province.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/krabi-residents-boycott-public-hearing-coal-plant-coal-seaport-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-28