US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

The flu season is just around the corner as well.

Screening people who have raised temperatures, etc won't help if someone has a cold or influenza.

Negating flu season and that people get air sick, I still have not heard whether ingestion of a common fever reducer would also supress temperatures.

Nevertheless, I am for stopping easy migration of Africans regardless of Ebola for economic and social reasons. Educated and productive people from other countries and ethnic backgrounds are commonly prohibited from entry yet we let uneducated, broke, scammers with ties to Islam enter from Africa and create a burden on our social economic system.

RE: Ebola fears

Currently, some are operating from a place of fear predicated solely upon "what ifs."

What if Ebola is never brought under control in Africa? What if all the African sickies get plane tickets and show up in US or Central America? What if an outbreak occurs in Central America? What if outbreaks that may or may not happen in others countries cause everyone to flee toward the US? What if the sickies find strength to walk across the desert and make it into the US? What if US or Mexico does nothing about it? What if a few sickies make it in and US can not deal with it?

Seriously, what if the sky fell today? What if Aliens decided today was a good day to attack because every is focused in Ebola and not an alien invasion.

Difference between healthily fear, panic and outright obsession. One case in US and 1 in Spain and we are already doomed and unable to stop it.

" Currently, some are operating from a place of fear predicated solely upon "what ifs."

Does that include those staff members in the US State Department that just ordered a whopping 160,000 Ebola hazmat suits ?ermm.gif If you are right, surely that money should have been spent elsewhere?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, what if the sky fell today? What if Aliens decided today was a good day to attack because every is focused in Ebola and not an alien invasion.

Sure, make fun, its all fun & games until that morning you go out to get the paper and there's an alien spacecraft hovering above your house.

Then you are going to rue the day we didn't take some simple precautions.

Negating flu season and that people get air sick, I still have not heard whether ingestion of a common fever reducer would also supress temperatures.

Nevertheless, I am for stopping easy migration of Africans regardless of Ebola for economic and social reasons. Educated and productive people from other countries and ethnic backgrounds are commonly prohibited from entry yet we let uneducated, broke, scammers with ties to Islam enter from Africa and create a burden on our social economic system.

Currently, some are operating from a place of fear predicated solely upon "what ifs."

What if Ebola is never brought under control in Africa? What if all the African sickies get plane tickets and show up in US or Central America? What if an outbreak occurs in Central America? What if outbreaks that may or may not happen in others countries cause everyone to flee toward the US? What if the sickies find strength to walk across the desert and make it into the US? What if US or Mexico does nothing about it? What if a few sickies make it in and US can not deal with it?

Difference between healthily fear, panic and outright obsession. One case in US and 1 in Spain and we are already doomed and unable to stop it.

" Currently, some are operating from a place of fear predicated solely upon "what ifs."

Does that include those staff members in the US State Department that just ordered a whopping 160,000 Ebola hazmat suits ?ermm.gif If you are right, surely that money should have been spent elsewhere?

Well, actually, that one is far more easily explained.

Certain lawmakers most likely received some soft money campaign contributions from Morgan Dempsey Capital or Lakeland Industries, the manufacturer of the suits.

http://m.scidev.net/global/health/feature/counterfeit-drugs-facts-figures-1.html

Screening people who have raised temperatures, etc won't help if someone has a cold or influenza.

Precaution is prudent. By all means, worry, worry, worry if you makes you happy. Won't change squat. Just live in a state if worry for no reason. Are you even in the US? If not, then why are you so concerned if an outbreak happens here? Just love us and worry about us?

Well, actually, that one is far more easily explained.

Certain lawmakers most likely received some soft money campaign contributions from Morgan Dempsey Capital or Lakeland Industries, the manufacturer of the suits.

http://m.scidev.net/global/health/feature/counterfeit-drugs-facts-figures-1.html

So is that how things work in America these days? You simply donate money to your preferred political party and, your company automatically gets rewarded with a whopping great order for your product even if you're not likely to need it?giggle.gif

Precaution is prudent. By all means, worry, worry, worry if you makes you happy. Won't change squat. Just live in a state if worry for no reason. Are you even in the US? If not, then why are you so concerned if an outbreak happens here? Just love us and worry about us?

" Are you even in the US? If not, then why are you so concerned if an outbreak happens here?"

No, actually I am mainly fascinated by those who try so hard to obfuscate the truth regarding all this. Are you even in Thailand? If not, then why are you so concerned about what people write on a forum in this country? tongue.png

You try overly hard to play down the risks and I wonder what possibly motivates you to do that? But evidently there are people in America who feel the same way about covering up the truth, including Judge Jeanine Pirro. I agree with everything she says

Edited by Asiantravel

" Are you even in the US? If not, then why are you so concerned if an outbreak happens here?"

No, actually I am mainly fascinated by those who try so hard to obfuscate the truth regarding all this. Are you even in Thailand? If not, then why are you so concerned about what people write on a forum in this country? tongue.png

You try overly hard to play down the risks and I wonder what possibly motivates you to do that? But evidently there are people in America who feel the same way about covering up the truth, including Judge Jeanine Pirro. I agree with everything she says

Nope, in Charlotte waiting on 4:25 flight to Orlando. Airport packed. All flights packed. No mass panick. All is well, except for kid crying behind me . . . Our crappy airport lunch at Tequileria.

Haha, Judfe Judy. Watch her often. I actually like Fox. They are very entertaining, but you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt.

Dude, I would at least resoect you if you had the gonads to candidly state that you are so obsessed with seeing bad things happen in US because you just don't like America.

Edited by F430murci

Question for everybody: Would you feel "safe" traveling for several hours in an airliner that you (somehow) knew had recently been through one of these affected West African countries? For those that answer NO (you wouldn't feel safe), would you just not fly, or would you go ahead & fly and be taking extra precautions (like wearing an anti-viral mask or even gloves of some kind during the flight), or would you fly anyway and let the chips fall where they may?

For those that answer YES (you would feel safe), what makes you feel secure about it?

1. You just don't believe Ebola would be transmissible to any significant degree from one flight to the next
  2. You have confidence in the routine cabin cleanings between flights to remove anything infectious
  3. You believe aircraft that have been there are undergoing special inspections or procedures to ensure they're safe
  4. You believe someone is checking back to make sure that aircraft in which any passenger subsequently found to be infected has flown, are receiving special hazmat treatment
  5. Luck of the draw and you feel safe because it's just not in your nature to worry about such things

Question for everybody: Would you feel "safe" traveling for several hours in an airliner that you (somehow) knew had recently been through one of these affected West African countries? For those that answer NO (you wouldn't feel safe), would you just not fly, or would you go ahead & fly and be taking extra precautions (like wearing an anti-viral mask or even gloves of some kind during the flight), or would you fly anyway and let the chips fall where they may?

For those that answer YES (you would feel safe), what makes you feel secure about it?

• You just don't believe Ebola would be transmissible to any significant degree from one flight to the next
  • You have confidence in the routine cabin cleanings between flights to remove anything infectious
  • You believe aircraft that have been there are undergoing special inspections or procedures to ensure they're safe
  • You believe someone is checking back to make sure that aircraft in which any passenger subsequently found to be infected has flown, are receiving special hazmat treatment
  • Luck of the draw and you feel safe because it's just not in your nature to worry about such things

I would feel safe because Ebola can only be transmitted through bodily fluids. You can wear a mask all you like but it will do no good. You need to be in direct contact with a victim. People need to get educated about this stuff and stop living in fear.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• You just don't believe Ebola would be transmissible to any significant degree from one flight to the next
  • You have confidence in the routine cabin cleanings between flights to remove anything infectious
  • You believe aircraft that have been there are undergoing special inspections or procedures to ensure they're safe
  • You believe someone is checking back to make sure that aircraft in which any passenger subsequently found to be infected has flown, are receiving special hazmat treatment
  • Luck of the draw and you feel safe because it's just not in your nature to worry about such things

I would feel safe because Ebola can only be transmitted through bodily fluids. You can wear a mask all you like but it will do no good. You need to be in direct contact with a victim. People need to get educated about this stuff and stop living in fear.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So then if a fella is infected with Ebola and running a fever and coughing and sweating profusely in his seat and disembarks and then another bloke, who is heavy-set and has just scurried to the gate and is perspiring sits in that seat there is no chance he can become infected with the Ebola virus?

And you are willing to stake your life on it?

Then why did the clean-up crew down at this dead guys apartment wear the highest level of protective HazMat PPE available?

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark

Does anybody know how long the virus is viable outside a living host. For example, if an infected person touches a surface with sweaty hands? If someone with with ebola used the toilet, how long would the virus remain viable if it were accidentally on a toilet seat, for example?

Does anybody know how long the virus is viable outside a living host. For example, if an infected person touches a surface with sweaty hands? If someone with with ebola used the toilet, how long would the virus remain viable if it were accidentally on a toilet seat, for example?

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 3040% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

-----------------------------------------

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days. Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days.

http://www.msdsonline.com/resources/msds-resources/free-safety-data-sheet-index/ebola-virus.aspx

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 3040% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

-----------------------------------------

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days. Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days.

http://www.msdsonline.com/resources/msds-resources/free-safety-data-sheet-index/ebola-virus.aspx

Very reassuring. Thanks Clarkey. :(

Not feel safe on that plane. Two times I felt a but uneasy today. First flight, a black guy and his two kids sat behind us and he spoke with a heavy accent. Have to say mind raced for a brief moment, then forgot about.

At Orlando airport this evening, two black guys with heavy accent jumped on elevator from in baggage claim floor. One dude has beads of sweet all over his forehead. Mind raced again and I was excited for door to open and them get off ASAP.

Candidly, I don'tike being around suck people that are sneezing, coughing and etc. even before Ebola concerns arose so perhaps I am a bit of a germaphob.

Orlando had 3 Virgin Atalantic 747 400s and. Lufthansa A340 parked next to those and rental car dude said he was happy to see my Florida license as he had seen nothing but British license for several hours. Orlando is not one of the five air ports with heightened screening.

A trained healthcare worker, in a U.S. hospital working environment, presumably knowing this patient had Ebola, and he still caught it. When they say that you have to have had contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and that it's not airborne, etc., it sounds pretty "hard to catch" if you're just exercising due care. But it would appear that it's actually NOT.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

A trained healthcare worker, in a U.S. hospital working environment, presumably knowing this patient had Ebola, and he still caught it. When they say that you have to have had contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and that it's not airborne, etc., it sounds pretty "hard to catch" if you're just exercising due care. But it would appear that it's actually NOT.

No clarification yet on whether contact was during Duncan's first visit or prior to Ebola diagnosis. If nurse contracted while providing care to Dumcan after he was diagnosed then, there may be cause for concern regarding mode of transmission.

Unfortunately, many people were exposed to Duncan's Ebola between his first hospital visit and subsequent diagnosis. If only one or two get it from the Duncan screw up, I think that supports the statement that it is not easily transmitted.

I feel for health care workers and first line responders in the US as they did not sign up for this unlike those volunteering to assist in Africa. Potentially getting killed while trying to help others and do your job is hard core.

How does one really protect triage nurses and first line responders absent putting them in hazmat suits during their entire shift.

Interesting commentary from a doc treating Ebola patient.

---------

I treated one of the American Ebola patients. Like you, I was anxious, too.

. . .

The challenges associated with caring for patients with communicable diseases, and specifically deadly diseases like Ebola, had always fascinated me. With these patients, you cant rely on hand-to-skin contact to assess their condition, and you cant bond by pulling up a chair and chatting about their personal lives. While in the isolation unit, all this patient, Rick, knew about me was the color of my eyes and the typed biography given to him when he was admitted. Still, this was an experience I had anticipated since I was a student. After all, reading about the famed virus hunters investigating the first Ebola outbreaks in Africa influenced my decision to attend medical school and eventually pursue my chosen career path as a specialist in infectious diseases. The presence of the NBU at the University of Nebraska Medical Center was one of the reasons I left my home state of Texas and moved to Nebraska.

As I mentally prepared for Ricks arrival, I contemplated how my life could change over the next few weeks. I thought about how my husband and young children would be affected, and how other families in our community would react.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/10/10/i-treated-one-of-the-american-ebola-patients-like-you-i-was-anxious-too/

And now as reported by The Washington Post we have this : "Dallas health worker followed ‘full CDC precautions’ with Ebola patient"

This 'health worker' has now tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test. I'm not exactly sure what a preliminary test is but that it was positive is worrying. I suspect they would not release information like this based on a single 'preliminary' test result.

Source : http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/10/12/dallas-health-care-worker-who-treated-thomas-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Edit : The important part of this incident is that they confirm the health worker was adhering to the full CDC precautions but they didn't work.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

And now as reported by The Washington Post we have this : "Dallas health worker followed ‘full CDC precautions’ with Ebola patient"

This 'health worker' has now tested positive for Ebola in a preliminary test. I'm not exactly sure what a preliminary test is but that it was positive is worrying. I suspect they would not release information like this based on a single 'preliminary' test result.

Source : http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/10/12/dallas-health-care-worker-who-treated-thomas-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Edit : The important part of this incident is that they confirm the health worker was adhering to the full CDC precautions but they didn't work.

It would seem to me that Ebola virus is following the transmissible infectious route that it has been doing in the West African Ebola stricken countries ... that has caused thousands of new cases... which now seems to be more than just casual contact.... proof or no proof

It would seem to me that Ebola virus is following the transmissible infectious route that it has been doing in the West African Ebola stricken countries ... that has caused thousands of new cases... which now seems to be more than just casual contact.... proof or no proof

Please Thailand deny visas and entry into Thailand for anybody from the entire West African and Central African region. Heck just stop anybody from all of Africa coming here. Act now. Don't be foolish like the United States and Europe.

I would trust a Thai Ebola vaccine before something from the Russians.

Not really. I'd have thought Russia has a lot of experience in biological warfare research. Some great scientific minds have come from Russia.

• Like 1

Saw something on all the News channels tonight , they all ran it live from Dallas,

It is spreading in Texas,

time to

ban Dallas folk from traveling.

Most of the civilized country has wanted to ban Dallas folk, in fact, most all Texians from traveling beyond their borders for atleast the last 100 years. There was quite a resurgence of this sentiment when the boy from Connecticut became President.