Myanmar man framed for British tourist murders: mother

Lite Beer

Myanmar man framed for British tourist murders: mother
Yangon, Myanmar | AFP | Thursday 10/16/2014

KOH TAO: -- The mother of one of the Myanmar men accused of murdering two British tourists in Thailand has said her son is a "scapegoat", the BBC reported Thursday, in the latest criticism of the Thai police investigation.

Migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were charged with the murder of David Miller, 24, and the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge, 23, after the tourists' battered bodies were found on the southern island of Koh Tao on September 15.

The arrests of the pair, both in their early twenties, followed intense scrutiny of Thai authorities, which had been accused -- in criticism led by the British media -- of bungling the investigation in the days after the crime.

"The case has been fixed, my son is a scapegoat," Zaw Lin's mother Phyu Shwe Nu told the British broadcaster, adding he "has never done anything violent before".

Her comments come after Britain voiced concerns about the way in which Thai police had handled the probe so far and offered police support to Thai authorities.

Myanmar President Thein Sein has also asked for a "fair" investigation, amid reports the accused were tortured into confessing.

The mother of the second suspect -- Win Zaw Tun -- told the BBC that news of her son's arrest had left her feeling suicidal.

"You know how much I love you. Tell them the truth, you're not guilty," said Myint Thein, seen sobbing in the report.

Thailand has strongly rejected allegations of torture and defended its probe of the grisly double-murder, with junta chief and premier Prayut Chan-O-Cha reiterating Tuesday that the case was "reliable".

Earlier in the week Thai authorities agreed to accept British and Myanmar observers to monitor the case but details of what form this would take were not provided.

Thai police have said the two Myanmar suspects confessed to the crime and their DNA matched samples taken from Witheridge's body.

The murders dealt another blow to Thailand's tarnished image as a tourist haven after months of protests in Bangkok led to a coup in May and the introduction of martial law -- which has yet to be lifted.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-10-16

• Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tully... If everyone knows there would be actual evidence. What seems accurate is that everyone wants it to be someone "important"

There is an absolute ton of evidence against this young man yet he hasn`t even been questioned.

I want a free trial and investigation. Not overly bothered about how "important" they are.

• Like 1

If he recant's. he is dead.

Several other papers have stated that they both recanted.

And the police said that if they did their sentences would be increased......................and told them so.

Increased from life to .....what ?

That alone amounts to mental torture and would in some countries get them off

• Like 2

Tully... If everyone knows there would be actual evidence. What seems accurate is that everyone wants it to be someone "important"

There is an absolute ton of evidence against this young man yet he hasn`t even been questioned.

I want a free trial and investigation. Not overly bothered about how "important" they are.

Internet speculation (being very kind with that) isn't evidence.

Hasn't been questioned..... Hmmmm

hmmmm? do you not understand?

You spend hours of you life on here rebutting anyone who questions the RTP investigation. I can only assume its trolling.

I do understand. I am wondering how you arrive at that conclusion.

About a month ago the RTP were actually requesting help from abroad - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/20/thai-police-koh-tao-fbi-british-backpacker-murders

This never was allowed to happen and instead within days 2 kids were framed for it.

Now the UK is offering what the RTP requested a month ago and the General tells them to p1ss off!? Do none of you nay sayers think that it odd?

• Like 2

If he recant's. he is dead.

Several other papers have stated that they both recanted.

And the police said that if they did their sentences would be increased......................and told them so.

Increased from life to .....what ?

That alone amounts to mental torture and would in some countries get them off

Are you saying that they did or did not recanted?

That, however, is far from mental torture. Make a deal to get the death penalty off the table. Recant and it goes back to the max punishment

• Like 1

About a month ago the RTP were actually requesting help from abroad - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/20/thai-police-koh-tao-fbi-british-backpacker-murders

This never was allowed to happen and instead within days 2 kids were framed for it.

Now the UK is offering what the RTP requested a month ago and the General tells them to p1ss off!? Do none of you nay sayers think that it odd?

No

not odd at all. 3 days after they announced that arrests would be made. They were made. DNA results back. Case to be sent to prosecution.

Sure the mother has followed the case closely from her hut in the jungle??whistling.gif

"Journalism" at its worst!! "He is such a good boy!!"

The above post smells like the used gym socks you forgot in your locker from last year.

It's two scrawny scapegoats verses the entire concerted might of the RTP, the junta and the island mafia family. Can't you allow a little maternal sympathy for their side?

I am not having a go at the two alleged culprits or the mother, but at the "journalism" creating this nonsense story!

What did you expect the mother to say?? "He started to torture and burn pet-animals alive already as a 5 year old" ??whistling.gif

Well someone has to be telling the truth?

I do understand. I am wondering how you arrive at that conclusion.

What are you rabbiting on about? Are you suggesting he wasn`t questioned? Despite pictures of him in Bangkok at Uni having fled the scene?

No. You stated definitively that he has not been questioned.

Can you definitively place him at the scene? (need to be there to flee it.) if so you should contact the defense and give them your definitive proof.

Because it usually is when it's a cover up!

The issue is everyone wants it to be a cover-up.