Phuket speedboat captain distracted by plastic bag before accident

webfact

Phuket speedboat captain distracted by plastic bag before accident
By Coconuts Bangkok

speedboat_0.jpg
Photo: Ittipat Pinnarod

PHUKET: -- The operator of a speedboat which collided with a fishing vessel Sunday and left 32 injured and two lost at sea said the accident happened after he was distracted by retrieving a plastic bag from under his seat.

Captain Surat Matosot told Krabi police yesterday that he reached for a stray bag being blown by the wind to keep it from disturbing his passengers, despite having seen the fishing boat ahead of him.

“About 20 minutes after we departed from Maya Bay [on Koh Phi Phi] the sky got very dark, and a black plastic bag flew under my seat,” Surat said. “I was worried it would fly into the tourists, so I decided to pick it up.”

He said that when he looked up, it was too late to turn the speedboat and avoid the fishing vessel.

No one on the fishing boat was injured.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/21/phuket-speedboat-captain-distracted-plastic-bag-accident

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-21

Like I have said on countless occasions Safery is a non starter in Thailand...

I have been on one of that Speed Boats and they drive like a bat,out of,hell...

Also no info was given on where the Lifejackets were located ???

Me being me, soon found them... Just incase

Plausible if you remember the British couple cycling through Bangkok being mowed down by a speeding truck whilst the idiot driver attempted to retrieve his cap which had fallen to the floor. Plausible but incredibly stupid.

And now the story has changed.

Last night on a Thai news channel the story was a piece of paper had blown onto the wind-shield of the speed-boat, and the driver leaned forward to remove it. When removed, it was too late to avoid ramming the fishing vessel.

The driver was more concerned about the plastic bag disturbing the passengers than the passengers wearing life-jackets ?

And what's absolutely incredible is we're supposed to believe this nonsense.

• Like 2

At least the excuse is unique, so what about the 100% life jacket compliance?

His dog ate the memo.

how on earth can you cram 40+ people onto a speedboat if they're all wearing bulky life jackets blink.png

You have obviously never seen the speedboats used for these trips.

can you just imagine a tour bus driver with 80 passengers on board leaving his seat to retrieve a plastic bag what's, I wonder if they checked his phone records perhaps that might reveal the real reason for this (deleted) collision.

I wonder how much harder it is to hit a slow moving fishing boat in a speedboat than it is to miss it - the Thai sense of safe driving is almost infantile - watching idiots weaving in and out of cars with the bravado attitude "hey look at me" ....... splat

Imagine it?

Everyday occurrence, by all accounts.

It's plausible. I can remember as a young man, looking down to change the radio station while driving my car and when I looked up I was almost on top of the car in front of me. I had a better outcome than this guy as I was able to skid off the side of the road and only hurt someone's lawn. I can tell you that I never made that stupid mistake again.Too bad this guy and his passengers have learned the hard way through the death of others.

I'm not sure where the speedboat originally left Phuket, but I've seen them leaving Rawai and every time all the passengers have been wearing life jackets. No idea whether they wear them on the way back.

The plastic bag thing is stupid as an excuse. Now, if he had said that he was distracted by tourists wearing bikinis then he would have been on the same page as the General and the Koh Tao business people. I mean come on, if the excuse is provided, then use it for goodness sake.

At least the excuse is unique, so what about the 100% life jacket compliance?

His dog ate the memo.

how on earth can you cram 40+ people onto a speedboat if they're all wearing bulky life jackets blink.png

I have and been on them too.. quite often they are over loaded too many passengers not enough seats, life jackets would only make it harder to sit. I like going to the south and the islands but the speedboats not so much.

I paid for a ferry once (more expensive as the speedboat) as I was traveling with my parents and my mom was after a few trips on those overcrowded speed boats not so happy. So what happened.. we were put in an over crowded speed boat anyway as the ferry had broken down (sure).

They break the laws constantly with overloading.. im quite sure of it.

His dog ate the memo.

I have and been on them too.. quite often they are over loaded too many passengers not enough seats, life jackets would only make it harder to sit. I like going to the south and the islands but the speedboats not so much.

I paid for a ferry once (more expensive as the speedboat) as I was traveling with my parents and my mom was after a few trips on those overcrowded speed boats not so happy. So what happened.. we were put in an over crowded speed boat anyway as the ferry had broken down (sure).

So? The biggest of these speedboats take 80 plus people, so somebody asking 'how do you cram 40 on board' really does not know what he is talking about.

So? The biggest of these speedboats take 80 plus people, so somebody asking 'how do you cram 40 on board' really does not know what he is talking about.

So they often cram more people on boats like this then allowed, so his remark was right on spot. That there are bigger boats sure.. but was it a bigger boat that was used or not.

Surely you are not blind to how these boats are often loaded with too many people. (my experience is mainly with the speedboat ferries between the islands in the south not chartered trips)

So they often cram more people on boats like this then allowed, so his remark was right on spot. That there are bigger boats sure.. but was it a bigger boat that was used or not.

Surely you are not blind to how these boats are often loaded with too many people. (my experience is mainly with the speedboat ferries between the islands in the south not chartered trips)

And now it is 'more than allowed'.

I won't get into an argument here, but will simply state again that anyone asking 'how do you cram 40 people on a speedboat' has no clue and has never seen these kind of speedboats used.