Two killed and seven injured in chemical explosion in Chiang Mai

webfact

Two killed and seven injured in chemical explosion in Chiang Mai

11-5-2014-10-18-05-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Two people were killed and seven others injured when potassium chlorate which was stored in a house in Chiang Mai’s Doi Tao district caused an explosion.

The explosion destroyed the two-storey wooden house which stored the chemical used to accelerate the growth of lamyai, ten other houses and two cars in the neighbourhood.

The identities of the two dead victims are still unknown. Forensic police will inspect the scene tomorrow to determine what actually caused the chemical to catch fire and explode.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-killed-seven-injured-chemical-explosion-chiang-mai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-06

2 killed, 5 injured as stored fertiliser explodes
The Nation

30247089-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI-- Two people were killed and five others injured after the potassium chlorate stored in a farmer's house exploded in Chiang Mai's Doi Tao district, police said. The substance is used as fertiliser to boost the production of longan.

The explosion, which took place at 5pm in Ban Rai Moo 2 village, also damaged two neighbouring houses and caused a power blackout, Mae Ka deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Sawang Itthiwang said.

As of press time, Doi Tao district chief Chatchawal Panya said local officials were not able to enter the site for fear of further explosions.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/2-killed-5-injured-as-stored-fertiliser-explodes-30247089.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

Holy crap - that stuff is sincerely volatile should it get contaminated, and by looking at the pictures it must've been a really vast quantity to get it to the stage of high order explosive blast...

RIP the lost ones and condoleances to the families - awful tragedy :(

"accelerate the growth of lamyai"

What on earth is 'lamyai'? Some kind of fruit tree maybe.

In our front yard:

14337806199_4fb29e0b06_z.jpg

Still have fruit? Or is the picture taken earlier? We picked what the squirrels didn't get from our tree about 2 months ago and have already pruned it way back. Some years we don't get any fruit.

Still have fruit? Or is the picture taken earlier? We picked what the squirrels didn't get from our tree about 2 months ago and have already pruned it way back. Some years we don't get any fruit.

We had someone come over to do the picking for us at the end of July so no more left.

14756210365_88b988a558_z.jpg

I've always thought Potassium Perchlorate was used as a weedkiller.

In my younger day I used to make very powerful IEDs with it, due to it's oxidising potential!

I think this was used in the Bali bombings and should be highly restricted, if not banned!

• Like 1

I've always thought Potassium Perchlorate was used as a weedkiller.

In my younger day I used to make very powerful IEDs with it, due to it's oxidising potential!

I think this was used in the Bali bombings and should be highly restricted, if not banned!

Yes, potassium chlorate mixed with sugar and ignited via Jetex fuze was the mix used when I was an RAF Apprentice.The chemical is hygroscopic and when exposed to air can absorb so much moisture that it dissolves itself.Should be stored in sealed drums, not sacks.

As with many chemicals, when damp it can produce heat by exothermic reaction and explode. I don't need Wiki to tell me this I know from experience.