What type of Visa can I get (offshore worker)

Hello,

I'm an offshore worker living in Thailand but working in Malaysia, Basically I spend one month at work and one month in Thailand. So I fall within the 90 days in 6 months visa exemption rule. I have been questioned on a number of times coming across the boarder, but the immigration have been fine when i show then my Malaysian work visa, and explain my situation.

I had a problem last month when trying to purchase a motorbike, I got told I needed a visa of some sort as they could not process the registration in under a month.

I spoke to a visa company who suggested I get an Educational visa, but i don't want to be screwing the system as i have no intention of studying here, or working for that matter, my time in Thailand is fun time only.

so my question really is what sort of visa is available to me, I would appreciate any kind of advice.

regards,

Al

There is no 90 days in 6 months rule. That went away 6 years ago.

Their is no rule that prohibits what you are doing since you are staying outside the country for 30 days at a time. Only going out and immediately returning is restricted.

There is no requirement to have a visa to purchase a motor bike, You do need a certificate of residence. I also cannot see the need to be here to complete the registration.

About the only option you have is a tourist visa. If you got a re-entry permit for the 60 day entry and 30 day extension you could get 2 entries for each entry the visa allows

Their is no rule that prohibits what you are doing since you are staying outside the country for 30 days at a time. Only going out and immediately returning is restricted.

There is no requirement to have a visa to purchase a motor bike, You do need a certificate of residence. I also cannot see the need to be here to complete the registration.

About the only option you have is a tourist visa. If you got a re-entry permit for the 60 day entry and 30 day extension you could get 2 entries for each entry the visa allows

Ok so all i should need for my certificate of residence is a copy of my rental agreement and a couple of passport photos?

I will try more garages when i return home. surly someone will want to take my money.

Proof of residence and 2 photos is enough normally.

Getting a certificate of residence might be a problem to get at a immigration office. Some don't do them and others will want you to be on an extension or on a visa. If not you can get one from your embassy.

I never did have to get a residency certificate. Both the main drivers license office across from ChatuChak, and my motorbike sales agent accepted my TOT, and True bills showing my rented condo address on them. My motorbike sales agent was nice enough to do all the paperwork processing for my new motorbike title (Green Book), and I picked it all up at his office, instead of it being mailed to me. I also just go to his office each year for my new tags.

This Honda dealer might work good for you, as he will just hold the title until you can pick it up, after it is processed. Mine took 9 weeks because I evidently requested a certain plate number, that I wasn't aware of him asking me about....lolol (Now I have a lucky plate number). He is a small local Honda dealer close to me in the Ratchathewi area, and speaks no English, but it is not a problem, as the sale triumphs over language difficulties.

I also saved about bt5000 over most other Honda dealers mentioned here, on my total purchase (motorbike and luggage compartment). Those dealers speaking good English are not always the best deals on new motorbikes. PM me, and I can introduce you. It also helped for insurance that I had my Thai motorbike drivers license before I bought the bike.

It is not required to get, but for Thai liability, and theft insurance you do need a Thai drivers license, which I believe can not be gotten on a tourist visa, but I might be wrong. My biggest driving fear, and why I got the insurance isn't because of the possibility of a wreck, but in case of theft of my motorbike, or if I accidently scratch someone's car while weaving traffic. I never have yet in 2+ years, but in case I do, I am covered....lolol.

Oh, and costing quite a bit more, baht 10 million invested I believe it is now, you can also get an investment visa, one of the best visas to hold, but it takes tying up a huge lump sum of money for awhile.

Edited by koolbreez

When someone is in thailand on a 30, 60 day or 60+30 day tourist visa and then they want to re-enter with a new 30 or 60 day visa, is that the rule, that they just be out of the country for 30 days? I ask cuz I was just in the country for 60 days and left for a weekend via air and came back and for 30 more. What's the limit on doing this?

When someone is in thailand on a 30, 60 day or 60+30 day tourist visa and then they want to re-enter with a new 30 or 60 day visa, is that the rule, that they just be out of the country for 30 days? I ask cuz I was just in the country for 60 days and left for a weekend via air and came back and for 30 more. What's the limit on doing this?

As mentioned above already. There is no limit. There is no rule requiring one to be out of the country for any time period.

Oh, no one asked about your age. If you are over 50, you could also get a Thai retirement visa, that if you are over 50 years old, would fit your situation real good.

The limit on the number of repeat returns as a tourist into Thailand before you are refused entry is solely up to the immigration agent processing you.

I never did have to get a residency certificate. Both the main drivers license office across from ChatuChak, and my motorbike sales agent accepted my TOT, and True bills showing my rented condo address on them. My motorbike sales agent was nice enough to do all the paperwork processing for my new motorbike title (Green Book), and I picked it all up at his office, instead of it being mailed to me. I also just go to his office each year for my new tags.

This Honda dealer might work good for you, as he will just hold the title until you can pick it up, after it is processed. Mine took 9 weeks because I evidently requested a certain plate number, that I wasn't aware of him asking me about....lolol (Now I have a lucky plate number). He is a small local Honda dealer close to me in the Ratchathewi area, and speaks no English, but it is not a problem, as the sale triumphs over language difficulties.

I also saved about bt5000 over most other Honda dealers mentioned here, on my total purchase (motorbike and luggage compartment). Those dealers speaking good English are not always the best deals on new motorbikes. PM me, and I can introduce you. It also helped for insurance that I had my Thai motorbike drivers license before I bought the bike.

It is not required to get, but for Thai liability, and theft insurance you do need a Thai drivers license, which I believe can not be gotten on a tourist visa, but I might be wrong. My biggest driving fear, and why I got the insurance isn't because of the possibility of a wreck, but in case of theft of my motorbike, or if I accidently scratch someone's car while weaving traffic. I never have yet in 2+ years, but in case I do, I am covered....lolol.

Oh, and costing quite a bit more, baht 10 million invested I believe it is now, you can also get an investment visa, one of the best visas to hold, but it takes tying up a huge lump sum of money for awhile.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I'm actually in Phuket so buying a bike in BKK is not convenient for me just now.

I suggest trying a different motorbike shop.. I am coming up on 4 years now in the Kingdom doing the exact same thing you are doing and I have owned multiple cars and motorbikes. The process normally is you purchase the vehile, they will photocopy and you sign a copy of your passport and entry stamp and you take the vehicle home with a red plate.. they will process the paperwork and it may be two trips offshore before the come back and ask for the residence certificate but it is never needed at the time of purchase. The residence certificate is a time sensitive document which only lasts 30 days (though I have heard rumors they may extend it) so don't run off and get one until it is required.

Regards,

Kurt

I'm the same. I work offshore and spend about 33days away followed by around 25 days in Thailand. I have no idea what visa to go for because the rules all seem different, in different places, on different days and with different immigration officers. So far I have managed to come in and out OK no problem but I have two passports and use them alternately.

I did go for a retirement visa once a couple of years ago but they cancelled it the first time I left. What did I do wrong?

If they stop me coming in any time I'll just go to Singapore and get a one year multiple entry visa.

You can get a re-entry pernit on a tourist visa???

I'm the same. I work offshore and spend about 33days away followed by around 25 days in Thailand. I have no idea what visa to go for because the rules all seem different, in different places, on different days and with different immigration officers. So far I have managed to come in and out OK no problem but I have two passports and use them alternately.

I did go for a retirement visa once a couple of years ago but they cancelled it the first time I left. What did I do wrong?

If they stop me coming in any time I'll just go to Singapore and get a one year multiple entry visa.

You will have no issues working on that schedule as immigration made a clarification indicating that offshore workers will not have an issue as long as they stay outside of the country for a period of time. Using different passports doesn't do anything because they will have records for every entry so your just wasting your time on this idea.

Concerning your retirement visa you most likely had a single entry which you should have applied and paid for a multiple entry prior to leaving the country.

You will get no love for visas in Singapore they are the most difficult embassy to deal with.. if for some reason you have an entry issue Vientiane is a short flight and you can get a multiple entry tourist visa.

Kurt

• Like 1

Thanks Kurt.

The main reaon I alternate the passports is that I'm trying to make them both last as long as possible! Not easy when I fill up two or three pages each trip to work with entry stamps and work permits/visas and such like.

So that's what I did wrong with my retirement visa. I thought it had all gone too easy in Jomtien.

Regarding Singapore, I have been there a few times for a year visa and the first time they only gave me a single entry. The other two times they gave me what I wanted: i.e., multiple entry. I might try Vientiane if I do have any issues.

Thanks again.

I have been an oilfield worker in Kuwait on a "28 + 28" schedule for many years. I easily obtained a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit at the Thai Embassy in Kuwait for about 5,500 baht (50 KWD). This was the best solution for me with the least amount of paperwork required although there are many different ways to obtain this visa type. I easily obtained my visa hassle free on the grounds that I have a son born in Thailand and have been living with my Thai girlfriend for years even though we are not legally married. I just come and go to and from Thailand as I please and this visa is good for one year. Every time I enter Thailand, I can stay for up to 90 days and do not have to report to anybody. If I leave Thailand, I do not need more documentation and every time I return to Thailand, I get 90 more days no matter how long or short I have been out of Thailand as long as my visa remains valid. This works out especially well when I take extra days off during my field break!! I have chosen NOT to obtain a retirement visa to avoid all the requirements involved in obtaining and maintaining a retirement visa (money in the bank, costs, paperwork and reporting). Too much hassle for me right now! Every year, I simply get another Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit. The application process has also become easier with time because the Thais working at the Thai Embassy in Kuwait know me now. There are MANY different ways for you to proceed but this solution works best for me, by far!! ...and when the day comes that I decide to stop working and want to get a retirement visa, I am ready to go. Good luck.

• Like 1

I have been an oilfield worker in Kuwait on a "28 + 28" schedule for many years. I easily obtained a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit at the Thai Embassy in Kuwait for about 5,500 baht (50 KWD).

Note that your visa is multiple entry in itself. There is not such thing as a "multiple exit permit".

• Like 1

Maybe didnt like the cost of 500K which is understandable but when you break it down its only 100k a year. If you dont want to study Thai, dont want to invest 10Million Baht for an Investors visa and are under 50 I think its the best option.

I realize this is no exit permit and multiple exits can be part of your O visa if requested & paid for. I should have made this clearer for those of you who are confused easily.

Are you kidding me? The O visa WITH MULTIPLE EXITS is a much better way to go then the expensive Elite visa which costs over $150,000 USD or $30,000 per year. Why throw all that cash away? The visa I suggested only costs $175 per year and age does not matter!! Re-read my posting!!

Edited by laubau

I realize this is no exit permit and multiple exits can be part of your O visa if requested & paid for. I should have made this clearer for those of you who are confused easily.

Are you kidding me? The O visa WITH MULTIPLE EXITS is a much better way to go then the expensive Elite visa which costs over $150,000 USD or $30,000 per year. Why throw all that cash away? The visa I suggested only costs $175 per year and age does not matter!! Re-read my posting!!

I think you should re-read your post, the TE visa is not USD 30k yr or USD 150k

• Like 1

I have been an oilfield worker in Kuwait on a "28 + 28" schedule for many years. I easily obtained a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit at the Thai Embassy in Kuwait for about 5,500 baht (50 KWD). This was the best solution for me with the least amount of paperwork required although there are many different ways to obtain this visa type. I easily obtained my visa hassle free on the grounds that I have a son born in Thailand and have been living with my Thai girlfriend for years even though we are not legally married. I just come and go to and from Thailand as I please and this visa is good for one year. Every time I enter Thailand, I can stay for up to 90 days and do not have to report to anybody. If I leave Thailand, I do not need more documentation and every time I return to Thailand, I get 90 more days no matter how long or short I have been out of Thailand as long as my visa remains valid. This works out especially well when I take extra days off during my field break!! I have chosen NOT to obtain a retirement visa to avoid all the requirements involved in obtaining and maintaining a retirement visa (money in the bank, costs, paperwork and reporting). Too much hassle for me right now! Every year, I simply get another Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit. The application process has also become easier with time because the Thais working at the Thai Embassy in Kuwait know me now. There are MANY different ways for you to proceed but this solution works best for me, by far!! ...and when the day comes that I decide to stop working and want to get a retirement visa, I am ready to go. Good luck.

Exactly the visa I require,

What documents did you submit to get that visa???

The ..Non-Immigrant "O" Visa with a Multiple Exit Permit

thanks

How do you get this kind of visa when you are not married or over 50 years old??

<snip>

I easily obtained my visa hassle free on the grounds that I have a son born in Thailand and have been living with my Thai girlfriend for years even though we are not legally married. <snip>

How do you get this kind of visa when you are not married or over 50 years old??

Snipped out everything but the answer to your question from laubau's post.

He is a parent of a Thai that is the reason he got the visa.