Working on a tourist visa

Hi,

so I am simply on a tourist visa, but as it happened I was recommended to a company who needed some help and so they approached me, asking me for one month of freelance work.

Now I was 100% sure that this is highly illegal and that there is no way around it.
But the head of their HR said it is okay as long as they would pay the full tax (not just "3%" as she said) and government is actually happy for the extra cash.

She seems very knowledgable, but I am not buying it.

Can anybody shed some definite light on this?

It's illegal what ever say try to tell you. If you need the money do it and if they catch you take the penalty. But as long as you are doing it on low profile and only for one month the risk is low. Work as a freelancer from a coffee or from your hotel room. Avoid staying in there office. It's unlike but visits from the immigration could happening and than you are in real trouble.

Many reputable prestigious schools hire teachers on tourist visas and have them start work immediately for about 6 weeks while they prepare the paperwork to get the non-b visa and later a work permit.

Technically illegal but common practice.

I've seen English summer camps give paperwork for non-b before starting short term work but the contract finishes before getting a work permit.

Maybe the government doesn't pursue if they are getting their taxes. Not the same as legal.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yeah...
apparently she is the only one aware of that rule.
If she can show me some official document, I might bite...

It sounds like you want to do something you know is illegal, and are waiting for someone here on TVF to justify it to you to make your decision easier. Good luck with that.

No, I just want to know. If she shows me some clear proof then i will consider it, else run for the hills.

Many reputable prestigious schools hire teachers on tourist visas and have them start work immediately for about 6 weeks while they prepare the paperwork to get the non-b visa and later a work permit.

I've seen English summer camps give paperwork for non-b before starting short term work but the contract finishes before getting a work permit.

Maybe the government doesn't pursue if they are getting their taxes. Not the same as legal.

I see. Well I guess that the different agencies aren't really connected and you can pay taxes while being on a tourist visa without anybody noticing.

Edited by rideride

The tax issue is "hogwash"! If you were going to work in Thailand for only 1 month in the calendar year and you were single, you would have to make over 240,000 baht during that month or your tax liability for the year would be zero! Do you even have a tax ID number?

• Like 2

Just use your home address in your country and get the filing document from the lady for the Revenue Department. It should be 15%. You might also tell her you are only willing to do the work if they assist you in getting a None Immi B visa.

Yes she said something about 15%. We also talked about billing from my home country, so maybe there is a misunderstanding.

How would that work with the Revenue Department?

I am not necessarily interested in a work visa, but let's see...

"Many reputable prestigious schools ..."

Define "many" and "prestigious."

It's illegal to work if you entered the country on a Tourist Visa. Not really debatable. Undoubtedly some people do it anyway and go undetected. It seems the O/P is hoping someone will say it's OK. It's not OK, but he already knew that. So it's up to him if he wants to risk it.

Most tourists aren't randomly approached by businesses that want to employ them, so presumably he came here looking for something. If his intention was to come here seeking employment and he will be looking for more opportunities, he'd probably be better off to go about it following the rules.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

It's illegal to work if you entered the country on a Tourist Visa. Not really debatable. Undoubtedly some people do it anyway and go undetected. It seems the O/P is hoping someone will say it's OK. It's not OK, but he already knew that. So it's up to him if he wants to risk it.

Most tourists aren't randomly approached by businesses that want to employ them, so presumably he came here looking for something. If his intention was to come here seeking employment and he will be looking for more opportunities, he'd probably be better off to go about it following the rules.

Well, I used to work here, so I still got some connections.

That way I also know that the company is sound, but I just doubted what HR told me could be correct.

They will check with their lawyer now, they said.

Basically every school and agency does that, if you don't have teaching experience here don't comment on things you don't know about.

An Assumption College school did it that way for me, you don't get much more prestigious than that.

It's totally standard practice, no risk for the school they just say they're in the process of getting the permit sorted. If you haven't noticed laws here don't work like nanny state western countries, it's about who the school knows.

OP, it's ok. Your risk of dire consequences is zero. Everything can be solved with a minor fine if it even came to that.

Yeah...

apparently she is the only one aware of that rule.

If she can show me some official document, I might bite...

It sounds like you want to do something you know is illegal, and are waiting for someone here on TVF to justify it to you to make your decision easier. Good luck with that.

Absolutely spot on. Every time someone tells him why he should not he comes back with a reason why maybe he should. If any one gives him a yes then he would jump at it. Very foolish.

It was talking about the common practice from several reputable organizations having new employees(teachers) working on a tourist visa the first 4-6 weeks of employment while paperwork for non-b was prepared.

Maybe other professions initially working on tourist isn't common practice.