Is There a New Process at Jomtien for Retirement Extension

I had non-immigrant 'o' from BKK in October 2014 and went to get a retirement extension in Jomtien earlier this week. They took all of the paper work and passport at about 1pm one day and told me to return the next day after 10 am. Arriving about 10:30 am next day, the lady saw my red tag and said "come into the office". I went in with her, she went into the desk, got the passport, said is this you? I said yes and then she said come with me. Just outside the office she said "sit here" and handed my passport to the lady at the computer terminal. Then the lady at the computer said "look into the camera" as she took my photo, smiled and handed me my passport with an extension into 2016.

Last year they didn't take computer photos upon retirement extensions.

Is this a one -off situation or a new process of being photographed for all retirement extensions?

• Like 1

I believe this is to facilitate the auto process, next 90 day report all you will need is passport, I noticed this last week that there were 2x people processing the 90 day reports and if you went to the lady at the computer people were told after that only passport needed in the future - no forms - no photo copies etc. Luck of the draw on the day, I was almost tempted to miss my turn so I could get the lady

I believe this is to facilitate the auto process, next 90 day report all you will need is passport, I noticed this last week that there were 2x people processing the 90 day reports and if you went to the lady at the computer people were told after that only passport needed in the future - no forms - no photo copies etc. Luck of the draw on the day, I was almost tempted to miss my turn so I could get the lady

I got my photo taken when I renewed my extension on Dec 11. I don't think the photo is to simplify 90 day reporting as they have had "paperless" reporting implemented for some time now @ Kap Choeng immigration...just my opinion of course

Got photo taken last year in Khon Kaen.

They upgraded all desks with PC, printer and (IP) camera.

It has been like that for ages, sometimes they take a photo sometimes they don't, same at immigration at the airport.

I would bet that they do a photo at the airport at each entry.

There have been misc cases in the past when criminals where identified/searched for by their immigration photos at the airport.

It has been like that for ages, sometimes they take a photo sometimes they don't, same at immigration at the airport.

There have been misc cases in the past when criminals where identified/searched for by their immigration photos at the airport.

Every arrival I've done over the past couple years/few years be it at airport (Swampy and DM) or land borders (Nong Khai, Poipet, Sadao) have taken photo of every person while they getting stamped in.

They have not taken a photo of me each time, at airport or immigration, but like I said if they already have a good photo in their database they may not take a new photo.

Maybe they want to save on filmthumbsup.gif

Here in Bangkok have had both photo and electronic index finger prints taken in the past during routine retirement extension - nothing out of the ordinary if immigration has the equipment.

It was announced a while back during the visa crackdown by immigration that finger printing at ALL entry points and immigration offices would be emplamented.

Edited by khwaibah

My guess is that they look at the old photo on file then at you and if there is any differences they take a new photo, simple as that.

Yes, I did my renewal a few weeks ago and there was no photo taken, but I recall having the photo taken on several occasions in the past. My new passport is less than a year old so that photo is (depressingly) up-to-date. Maybe if your passport and photo are years old it no longer looks like you.

When I recently entered at Phibun Mangsahan, they forgot to take my photo. Immigration was chaotic with many Laotians shoving and pushing and all semblance of any queuing was out of the window. I have to say immigration got on with it even though they were under a lot of pressure. Anyway as I was about to head off to Ubon and beyond, they came running out of the booth and called me back for a photo.

Over the years I've heard a lot of guys boast about getting their extensions via the 'kitchen table' method, or just paying an agent to do it for them because they can't be arsed to queue themselves.

I've seen lots of agents handing paperwork in.

From memory, you are supposed to apply for these Extensions in person?

If they implement this as a check then the Agents will have even less 'work'.

Are you saying that you did not provide a new visa sized picture required in the little box provided on the application form as I did 3 weeks ago? Could that possible be the reason? You said they gave you an extension "into 2016". Is that two weeks into 2016 or 11 months 27 days into 2016? My last extension was for two full years but that may have been in error.

Edited by Timebandit

Are you saying that you did not provide a new visa sized picture required in the little box provided on the application form as I did 3 weeks ago? Could that possible be the reason? You said they gave you an extension "into 2016". Is that two weeks into 2016 or 11 months 27 days into 2016? My last extension was for two full years but that may have been in error.

Since he converted in Oct. his permission to stay will end somewhere in Jan. 2015, so his extension would be till Jan. 2016.

All extensions are for 1 year at most, unless you fall under the One Stop Service Centre; they can issue 2 year extensions of stay.

The extension application was complete and correct, with a proper sized paper photo, taken same day, stapled to the back. The extension was to week 3 of Jan. 2016, basically 1 year from the expiry date of non-immigrant "O" visa.

I completed all of the paperwork personally, on forms obtained at the immigration office, and I queued up personally, no agents involved.

The passport is quite new issued mid-2014. I did have a non-immigrant 'o' with multiple extensions of stay in the old passport when I returned with the new passport. The old one was in my checked baggage, so I couldn't present the old one upon entry with the new one, and consequently my visa expired upon entry, and I was only given 30 day visa exemption. I basically went through the entire process to obtain a new retirement visa into the new passport, including going to BKK 2 times to get that "o" visa.

Edited by cigar7

We did an extension of stay for our daughter who was visiting from university on a 30 day visa exempt. We needed an additional week or so, and went to Nonthaburi and got the 30-day extension quite easily. We provided the required photo with the form, but they still called her up and took a digital photo with a new camera that had been set up on the counter where the 90 day reports are processed. Lots of people were being called up to have photos taken. I had the impression it was something new being done for extensions, and possibly for 90 days reports only since some people being called up were sitting on that side of the room, but that's just a guess. I've never seen that camera there before though, and we've been in that office countless times for 90 day reports, extensions, etc.

I have been three times this year for 90 day retirement extension. Queued about 15 mins, showed my passport, stamped and sorted!

First time I went with proof of residence, property deeds etc after seeing all sorts in this forum, but these were not even looked at! thumbsup.gif

I have been three times this year for 90 day retirement extension. Queued about 15 mins, showed my passport, stamped and sorted!

First time I went with proof of residence, property deeds etc after seeing all sorts in this forum, but these were not even looked at! thumbsup.gif

You did not do an extension you did a report of staying longer than 90 days in the county. They are not extensions of stay.

You only do an extension once a year.

• Like 1

They have not taken a photo of me each time, at airport or immigration, but like I said if they already have a good photo in their database they may not take a new photo.

Maybe they want to save on film:thumbsup:

They have taken a photo of everybody at immigration (airport or land) for donk's, maybe you don't recognise the little round thing on a stick as a camera - they have to adjust it for tall people.

The only photo immigration has of me is the one attached to my application form. I have never had my picture taken on arrival or at immigration. They were not taking photos of people yet when I last entered the country and my immigration office has one camera but I have never seen them use it.

• 4 weeks later...

My Retirement Visa expires next month.

Do I have to renew it immediately before expiry or do I report for another 90 day extension before renewing?

(This is what the "O" visa does)

You most likely have an extension of stay for retirement, it is not an 'O' visa.

You have to do both things independently, apply again starting 30 before expiration and report at 90 days, (plus a week or minus two). If dates allow you can combine tasks in one visit.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1