Swiss Tourist assaulted by street vendors close to Pattaya Port

Lite Beer

Swiss Tourist assaulted by street vendors close to Pattaya Port

swiss-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Friday, Pattaya Police were called to the Bali Hai Port area to assist a Swiss Tourist who had allegedly been attacked by three Thai street vendors who were reportedly angry that he refused to purchase an item from them.

Police and medics arrived at the scene, close to the Pattaya Sea Rescue Control Center and met with Mr. Henri Kaspar aged 59. He had sustained a deep laceration to his head and told Police that the men used a stick to attack him as he was preparing to leave the area on his motorbike.

Read More: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/162651/swiss-tourist-assaulted-by-street-vendors-close-to-pattaya-port/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PattayaOneNews+(Pattaya+One+News)

• Like 1

"Mai Ow" and "look away" is usually sufficent . Dont show interest in the junk sold on the street. Of course if you told the vendor the junk he is selling is junk he may not take kindly to the fact.

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 2

So in your worlds, a Thai street vendor has every right to physically attack someone? If a Thai street vendor doesn't like the way a potential customer acts, or doesn't like to be denied a sale, the proper recourse is to physically attack someone?

I don't think he said that at all.

What he was saying was "how one might choose to behave in order not to attract trouble".

I personally would act respectful and friendly at all times.

Much better than sustaining a laceration.

At the end of the day, the Swiss bloke, or anyone else, is able to act the way they choose.

Yes I agree with the others that said, something have fueled the anger of the street vendors.

Okay no excuses of beating up the guy but at least they didn't use knifes.

Be polite and respectful and this is very unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

Been to IndoChinaMarket in NongKhai recently. Whenever i stopped at a shop to look but didn't buy i received angry looks and some impolite gestures and remarks. This is not the way any sales person should ever react.

This is not only in Thailand but everywhere where there are lots of tourists.

Years ago in BKK i inadvertently stepped over a tiny Buddha image that was offered for sale on a small rag on the pavement. The seller and his mates almost killed me.

Wonder what they were selling in the early morning hours ?

Were the vendors drunk, was the tourist drunk ? All sober ? Don't believe.

Edited by maximillian
  • Like 2

Humm, I've had 15 years of interactions with Thai street vendors and never been lacerated...and some bloke comes on a holiday and gets smacked in the face. I imagine he threw the F-bomb at them to which they didn't take kindly. Some people have to learn things the hard way.

Its mostly Americans and the lower class of Brits that use a lot of curses in their language not so sure if its the case of Swedes. I know that in my own language (Dutch) in general its not done a lot (unless you work in construction or something like that)

But dropping that word would certainly have angered them, its a good assumption for sure.

As long as he did not touch, as I've heard of stories of ppl handling items in stores and not buying with the clerk fuming. Unsure if these are embellished though. Also, when ppl look and make gestures/faces of food they don't understand or they deem unappetizing, I can see a Thai giving a crumpled face.

Been to IndoChinaMarket in NongKhai recently. Whenever i stopped at a shop to look but didn't buy i received angry looks and some impolite gestures and remarks. This is not the way any sales person should ever react.

This is not only in Thailand but everywhere where there are lots of tourists.

. I stay in Nong Khai all the time, never had a problem, Most are Thai Chinese if that makes a difference...

This is horrendous.

I fear it's going to increase as revenues drop, compounded by Thailand's ever diminishing reputation as a safe destination.

To those who immediately suggest that probably the Swiss guy had it coming might have a point. Maybe he was rude.

But if this story reaches Switzerland, we can expect less tourists from Switzerland and Europe. The Swiss are known to be amongst the most innocuous, peaceable and dead boring people on earth. As tourists they are coveted by everyone.

This can't be right, only yesterday in Pattaya Mail....

"He [a vendor] maintained that vendors help Pattaya by keeping an eye out for bag snatchers and thieves, as well as keeping the beach clean. Yet, he grumbled, vendors are always looked down upon"

Was the Swiss guy speaking French, German, Italian or English? If he really was not happy with the vendors, I'm sure he would say something bad in his native language, not an F bomb in English. Maybe these Thai vendors were multilingual. No matter the situation, assault is not the answer to an unhappy potential customer.

• Like 2