Phetchabun abbot resigns after gay sex admission

webfact

Phetchabun abbot resigns after gay sex admission
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The controversial abbot of Sam Yak monastery in Phetchabun, Phra Kasem Ajinasilo, has voluntarily left the monkhood, after his public confession that he engaged in gay sex with a male follower - a serious violation of Buddhist morality.

At a press conference yesterday at the temple after he quit, the former monk, who used his lay name Kasem Duangphaengmart, showed up in a white robe and said he would still observe dharma and remain at the monastery while continuing to preach.

National Office of Buddhism director Thanthep Muenyuth said yesterday that although the former monk, 55, was regarded as having left the monkhood due to his confession, an investigation by a local monastic office based in Nam Nao district into his self-confessed sodomy with a male follower would continue unabated.

The former monk had been known for his eccentricity and the way he interpreted Buddhist teachings and the Tripitaka canons, but had never been tainted by prior sexual misconduct with women, or men. Nonetheless, he has a large number of loyal followers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Phetchabun-abbot-resigns-after-gay-sex-admission-30252163.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-19

Well he's gone up in my opinion for one. It would take a brave man to admit to that in his position, and knowing the likely result of such a confession.

He should have just kept quiet about it, it's nobody business what he does in the privacy of his own room, assuming of course that his partner was of legal age and consenting.

Well he's gone up in my opinion for one. It would take a brave man to admit to that in his position, and knowing the likely result of such a confession.

He should have just kept quiet about it, it's nobody business what he does in the privacy of his own room, assuming of course that his partner was of legal age and consenting.

You're missing the point. It's not about sex, per se, as people are free to do that with whomever they want. The point is that he was a Monk, and according to Buddhist teachings, what he did is strictly a no-no

• Like 1

And with this revelation, his following may increase by roughly 10%!

Why? Based on what logic?

Based on observation of previous monk misbehaviour, I would have thought.

Why not base it on previous homosexual activities of left-handed dentists.

You're missing the point. It's not about sex, per se, as people are free to do that with whomever they want. The point is that he was a Monk, and according to Buddhist teachings, what he did is strictly a no-no

So is drinking, shopping with your laptop in Panthip, smoking, begging, catching taxis, the BTS, wearing footwear, amassing wealth, accumulating more than one monk needs for one day ... and yet ...

There is no, "...and yet...". There is only principle, and that principle is being violated on many levels. They made the principle, ...not you and not I. If we can't call people out on what they say, because they then change the rules, avoid, ignore, mitigate, etc. then frankly I think those people touting a principle are going to lose a lot of credibility with those who take the time to listen.

Buddha-slapping monk faces defrocking after defrocking with pal
By Coconuts Bangkok

abbot.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Despite an innovative defense for breaking his vows, a controversy-prone abbot at a Phetchabun temple is being investigated by religious authorities.

Phra Kasem Arjinnasilo stunned his followers by declaring in a meeting streamed over the Internet on Friday he’d been making love to another man at the monastery. He stunned them again when he explained it was okay because it was done without “self-awareness.”

"I'm fully straight. I'm not gay in any way,” he explained to Daily News. “If I would have a partner, it would be a woman, a beautiful woman. When I had intercourse with that disciple, I did not feel sexually aroused at all. I don't even know if I ejaculated because I wasn't aware of what I was doing."

Now the National Buddhism Office is investigating, as the making of sweet love is one of four offenses for which a monk can be defrocked.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/19/buddha-slapping-monk-faces-defrocking-after-defrocking-pal

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-19

"but had never been tainted by prior sexual misconduct with women, or men. Nonetheless, he has a large number of loyal followers."

Interesting choice of words...so if he had screwed around a lot, he would have attracted a lot more followers?

"Buddha-slapping monk faces defrocking " perhaps he should have kept to Farang Slapping... no penalties for that..

Edited by bangon04

And with this revelation, his following may increase by roughly 10%!

Why? Based on what logic?

Umm, because Thailand is full of queers and it is cool now of days to be a fudge packer or a butch dike, plain and simple logic player...

Come again ... coffee1.gif

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=18c_1404627836

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1