Tourists are reporting a dramatic surge in harassment by Thai police

webfact

They target Koreans who are usually heavy smokers and Arabs, too. I've seen these rent-a-cops fine unsuspecting tourists along a stretch of Sukhumvit. I'd hardly call this harassment, though. It's littering and it comes with a fine. I believe spitting, dropping cigarette butts, and littering are among the acts which can be legally fined along that small stretch. This is a crappy article. and should be ignored. Much hype over nothing.

Well done for lamest reply of the day so far. Truly imbecilic.

Did you even read the article? It's nothing to do with the ciggie butt officers but more to do with the fact that it seems police are acting like gangsters in order to extort money from tourists.

Now pop orf and read it again before replying....

Okay, so the rest of the article reveals a lot more than just the cigarette cops. Thanks for burying the real story in the flotsam of what's been going on in Sukhumvit forever. However, my hunch is that the bartender at the unnamed bar on Silom is not a tourist. The journalist is not a tourist. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are expats, perhaps regulars at that bar who have been targeted by rogue police. It was 2AM at an after hours party when the bars are supposed to be closed. I hate the RTP as much as the next guy, and I won't blame the victims if they are truly victims in this case. The article mentions 4 Westerners. I'd like to hear their version of the story, too. 2am...possibly patpong...hate to say it, but you're asking for trouble in that area at that hour.

Genuine tourist couples are getting pulled just for minding their business at all times of the day.

If they look like police, if they act like police, they are police, in tourists perception. BTS or RTP doesn't matter: "Oh, it's okay honey, that was just a shakedown from transit cops, not real cops. Let's go enjoy some more Thainess".

Well dropping cigarettebutts on the street is a problem but why are there no bins? Is the fear of a bomb in a bin still that high? Then tourists should know about that.

Exactly. Thailand has a very strict littering law, but I've never seen a country with so few dust bins, so how is one supposed to dispose of his litter.

One is supposed to throw it on the ground and be fined 2000 Baht. That is the whole point of the law, yet it was met with moronic cheers here on the TVF.

Regarding the article, it doesn't matter how many people read Time. There's many, many sites that just reprint whatever they can from other sources. Then it gets to TV news.

Still, I don't think most people will care. They'll see the the headline and think 'Yeah okay won't go there then' and that will be it.

Edit: Then TAT or someone will begin making statements denying the whole thing and invite the media. It will still go on, but under a reality distortion field.

Edited by BudRight

They target Koreans who are usually heavy smokers and Arabs, too. I've seen these rent-a-cops fine unsuspecting tourists along a stretch of Sukhumvit. I'd hardly call this harassment, though. It's littering and it comes with a fine. I believe spitting, dropping cigarette butts, and littering are among the acts which can be legally fined along that small stretch. This is a crappy article. and should be ignored. Much hype over nothing.

Well done for lamest reply of the day so far. Truly imbecilic.

Did you even read the article? It's nothing to do with the ciggie butt officers but more to do with the fact that it seems police are acting like gangsters in order to extort money from tourists.

Now pop orf and read it again before replying....

Okay, so the rest of the article reveals a lot more than just the cigarette cops. Thanks for burying the real story in the flotsam of what's been going on in Sukhumvit forever. However, my hunch is that the bartender at the unnamed bar on Silom is not a tourist. The journalist is not a tourist. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are expats, perhaps regulars at that bar who have been targeted by rogue police. It was 2AM at an after hours party when the bars are supposed to be closed. I hate the RTP as much as the next guy, and I won't blame the victims if they are truly victims in this case. The article mentions 4 Westerners. I'd like to hear their version of the story, too. 2am...possibly patpong...hate to say it, but you're asking for trouble in that area at that hour.

Genuine tourist couples are getting pulled just for minding their business at all times of the day.

Nothing like ridiculous exaggeration to make a point!

• Like 2

Great report from Time.

It will certainly help to restore tourists confidence in this wonderful and welcoming country !

All these scumbags cops losing face a bit more day after day... I love that !

This is funny, why don't they close the shitty bars down then. No lets just harass the customers so they stop coming. makes no sense, the embassies seem to be ignoring the crap that goes on in this country.

Yes littering is illegal but detaining someone without cause is also illegal.

I got pulled up by cops on Sukhumvit rd back in 1989 on my first trip to Thailand. they manhandled me and tipped all my smokes out of the packet then got back on their bike and zoomed off.

Nothing changes in this country.,Foreigners are just kidding with them selves when they try to be apologists for that scum.

Dont wear a suit in Thailand. The cops will think youre Bill Gates.

• Like 1

A 2:00am 'late drink' in Silom presumably means Patpong and in truth you kind of put yourself on offer hanging out there. Easy meat really for the RTP. Like other posters have said I think our man is making much more of this than it is worth.

a late night drink on a terrace bar in silom area is much more likely to be on the upmarkent young hiso soi. soi 4 i think

Edited by ColdSingha
  • Like 1

Again, those are not Thai police but BTS officials and the 2000 Baht fine is a legal one and posted in many places regarding littering. There have been multiple articles over the last few years referring to it as a scam when it is in actuality legal enforcement. But if targeting only the foreigner, then certainly the Governor should step in (again) to do something about it, but no fingers crossed here that will happen.

I don't think Bangkok Transit System (BTS) security guards are responsible for the harassment of foreigners on Sukumvit Rd.

That can be attributed to the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA), officers ( known in Thai as thetsakij) who have small booths located on the street where they watch for tourists and expats to drop litter or cigarette butts and then attempt to extort money. Criminal activity at its most basic level.

You didn't read the article, genius - you read the first paragraph.

A 2:00am 'late drink' in Silom presumably means Patpong and in truth you kind of put yourself on offer hanging out there. Easy meat really for the RTP. Like other posters have said I think our man is making much more of this than it is worth.

Being easy meat makes it OK ?

• Like 1