Tottenham Thread

chonabot

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I don't know what the obsession is with opposition fans about winning trophies, I mean I get it, the having a dig, that's the idea, but it's not the real reason we support football. It's the cherry on the cake, but there are only so many trophies and it's become so much more difficult to win one. You lads at City would not be saying this 6 years ago, and you have been supporting your club while winning <deleted> all. Most teams in the league will win <deleted> all ever these days. 

I honestly think that Poch is an incredible manager and he has won nowt, Spurs competing at the level they are is also incredible. And is something to be celebrated. 

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for their fans right now knowing just a few decent players in the summer would have been huge for them. They are suffering for it, yet still within a cock's stride of the big spenders and still consistently punching above their weight. 

Bob, bit of a serious response to my piss-take of Alfie isn't it, but go on i'll bite.

I think pretty much all fans are the same. We watch and/or play football because we like it and we choose a team to support and follow for various reasons (follow in the family's tradition; the team selected at the time is top or wins the most; etc). For most of us whether our team wins or loses we support them. We all want our team to win games. We would all like our team to win trophies - i don't belive it if you say thats not what the typcial football fan of Stockport County or Real Madrid would like. So i don't think anyone has an obsession with winning trophies; but we would like to win trophies if possible. My opinion just given does not change whether City are winning the Premier or if we are fighting for promotion out of the 3rd tier.

Your comments seem to be in support of Spurs failure to win the Championship FOR ALMOST SIXTY (60) YEARS - I put that in caps because that is a hell of a long time, please considerr that -  and a trophy for is it a decade. Sorry but for a team of Spurs stature over the past 60 years that is unacceptable.

There was a very good Neville & Carragher argument on this the other night - you seem like you might be in Neville's camp defending Spurs lack of spending (as Neville said; Spurs have no money to spend because of the inflated cost of the stadium build).

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I don't know what the obsession is with opposition fans about winning trophies, I mean I get it, the having a dig, that's the idea, but it's not the real reason we support football. It's the cherry on the cake, but there are only so many trophies and it's become so much more difficult to win one. You lads at City would not be saying this 6 years ago, and you have been supporting your club while winning <deleted> all. Most teams in the league will win <deleted> all ever these days. 

I honestly think that Poch is an incredible manager and he has won nowt, Spurs competing at the level they are is also incredible. And is something to be celebrated. 

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for their fans right now knowing just a few decent players in the summer would have been huge for them. They are suffering for it, yet still within a cock's stride of the big spenders and still consistently punching above their weight. 

Quite right.  Knocking a manager like Pochettino (Espanyol, Soton, Spurs) for not winning trophies yet really is the argument of a complete halfwit.  You are also right about the frustration of knowing what a difference a couple of quality signings would have made.

So is the manager unhappy?  Perhaps "unhappy" is the wrong word, more like frustrated.  No new players, a second season effectively with no home games, throw in a squad that's been hit with a string go bad injuries losing two CL games in the last five minutes, both of which should have been won.  Yes i'd say he's frustrated.  However, Levy may be a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them and he knows we must do everything to keep this manager so i would suggest there are things going on behind the scenes.  At least i sincerely hope there are!!!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Another spurs fan still having problems with Walker leaving you?

We've done the Walker debate many times on this thread and the City thread haven't we. Here's my take on it, again.

He's not a defender's defender. He does rely on his speed. His speed is his main asset defending and/or attacking. He can be frustrating, his is prone to a boob, and he does get forward and waste the opportunity. Pep didn't buy him to be a defending defender, he bought him for his ability to defend and get forward. Interestingly, based on an article i read a while back,  Walker gets forward less for City than he did at Spurs. For us he defends the RB position, supports the winger in front of him and when the ball is on the left wing area he tucks in to central midfield as all our fullbacks have to do (do you remember the commotion about that when Pep first introduced it last season - shock, horror!). Is he a better RB that Trippier or that french lad of yours. In my opinion, overall he is.

Ask yourself this though if he really is as bad a defender as you lot keep making out he is:
1. If he's so bad, why was he named in the Professional Footballers’ Association Premier League Team of the Year (voted for by the other players)?
2. If he's so bad, why does he play for England at Right Back?
3. If he's so bad, why does he play for England as a centre-back in a 3?

Let it go man, let it go, you'll feel so much better.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought Trippier played right back and was named player of the tournament in that position in Russia.  Still i'll bow to your superior knowledge just like we all will in your questioning of Pochettino not winning any trophies yet!!????

He was playing at center back in a three basically because of his pace, which proved very useful on more than one occasion.  

Walkers actually been very respectful towards Spurs since he left and i have no problem at all with hi.  I just don't rate him.  I also didn't like Spurs fans goading him because i think he always behaved appropriately but didn't like playing second fiddle.  he moved on, probably trebled his wages and obviously won silverware so good luck to him.  He just isn't a very good defender and hasn't learnt from his mistakes.  And on that note, i thought all the four backs on monday night were piss poor!!!????

Edited by carmine

8 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Bob may be an old Leftie but at least he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Football ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought Trippier played right back and was named player of the tournament in that position in Russia.  Still i'll bow to your superior knowledge just like we all will in your questioning of Pochettino not winning any trophies yet!!????

He was playing at center back in a three basically because of his pace, which proved very useful on more than one occasion.  

Walkers actually been very respectful towards Spurs since he left and i have no problem at all with hi.  I just don't rate him.  I also didn't like Spurs fans goading him because i think he always behaved appropriately but didn't like playing second fiddle.  he moved on, probably trebled his wages and obviously won silverware so good luck to him.  He just isn't a very good defender and hasn't learnt from his mistakes.  And on that note, i thought all the four backs on monday night were piss poor!!!????

yeah, forget about not signing anyone  getting 50 mil for a defender that couldn't make our  starting 11 kept me amused for an age .. 

10 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah, forget about not signing anyone  getting 50 mil for a defender that couldn't make our  starting 11 kept me amused for an age .. 

Did you read Bredbury Troll going on about them buying another left back and they've paid 50m odd for that Mendy.  Are they going to end up with 100m worth of left backs and nearly the same in right backs!!!! ????

The Sun claiming Pochettino is no1 choice for Real Madrid....no surprises there.  I don't read that evil rag anyway but i doubt they are reporting anything original.

But why would they want a manager that hasn't won any silverware sugar daddy club supporters might well ask!!  

31 minutes ago, carmine said:

The Sun claiming Pochettino is no1 choice for Real Madrid....no surprises there.  I don't read that evil rag anyway but i doubt they are reporting anything original.

But why would they want a manager that hasn't won any silverware sugar daddy club supporters might well ask!!  

Madrid will win nothing this season and their purse strings remain tight as well.

I predict their next manager will suffer a similar fate.

30 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Madrid will win nothing this season and their purse strings remain tight as well.

I predict their next manager will suffer a similar fate.

Remember are a team in need of a rebuild.  But despite any approach i'm really not getting concerned because if he goes he goes.  My focus will immediately turn to who's replacing him, despite the fact that i will be very disappointed.

However he deserves to be managing right at the top and certainly shouldn't be having to defend his position against nitwits questioning the fact he hasn't won anything, no matter how daft the argument.

My only question would be whether we did enough to keep him.

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The reason you'd be asking that question is because you already know the answer.

No i don't.  What i am pretty sure about is Poch would have known the restrictions at Spurs before he signed.  What i don't know and neither do you is whether promises made have been broken without fair justification which is a completely different thing.

Not everything in football starts and finishes with throwing hundreds of millions of cash at things that a club hasn't properly generated

Edited by carmine

8 minutes ago, carmine said:

No i don't.  What i am pretty sure about is Poch would have known the restrictions at Spurs before he signed.  What i don't know and neither do you is whether promises made have been broken without fair justification which is a completely different thing.

Not everything in football starts and finishes with throwing hundreds of millions of cash at things that a club hasn't properly generated

All we really need at this point is a top quality replacement for Dembele and a good 2nd striker.

Just now, RonniePickering22 said:

Yes he deserves more....no question about that.

Can Levy deliver? Wait and see.

I'm not convinced he signed up to 5 years without assurances on funds for the squad in the sense of new players. I think promises may have been broken already. 5 years does ensure levy can extract maximum value should madrid come knocking and we all know this is the Levy playbook.

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

All we really need at this point is a top quality replacement for Dembele and a good 2nd striker.

i think its nailed on Winks will take over. And he's improving as a player, game by game.  I been really impressed with him and the way his game is developing.  Plus he's another one from the academy that lives and breathes the club.   As for the second striker who knows.  We might get Crouchy back!!!????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

i think its nailed on Winks will take over. And he's improving as a player, game by game.  I been really impressed with him and the way his game is developing.  Plus he's another one from the academy that lives and breathes the club.   As for the second striker who knows.  We might get Crouchy back!!!????

I was thinking more about Winks partner in that midfield for the years to come.

CARMINE: "And on that note, i thought all the four backs on monday night were piss poo r!!"

Don't  agree with you as i thought  Stones and LaPorte were both excellent (though they did have Fernandinho covering for them which helps). Both got 8/10 in most reports i read. Think Carmine could only have been watching his back 4...and Walker of course.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

We might get Crouchy back!!!????

Bit offtopic but on the subject of Crouchy, have you heard any of his recent series of BBC podcasts? If not and you get the chance have a listen. There are about half a dozen so far giving an insight into all sorts of things from the dressing room, to transfer deadline day. He does them with two other guys and it’s like mates chatting down the pub but with real stories from Crouchy. Some really funny insights. 

He even tells the story of when he met Prince Harry and Harry asked him “how did you manage to bag Abby?”

Anyway back on subject....,,,,,

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Bit offtopic but on the subject of Crouchy, have you heard any of his recent series of BBC podcasts? If not and you get the chance have a listen. There are about half a dozen so far giving an insight into all sorts of things from the dressing room, to transfer deadline day. He does them with two other guys and it’s like mates chatting down the pub but with real stories from Crouchy. Some really funny insights. 

He even tells the story of when he met Prince Harry and Harry asked him “how did you manage to bag Abby?”

Anyway back on subject....,,,,,

Yes he seems a good guy and worth listening to.

11 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I was thinking more about Winks partner in that midfield for the years to come.

Well Oliver Skipp is a shoe in.  Luke Amos is out for the season but he'll be back.  

We could conceivably field a side next season containing four players from the academy.  Now that would be something!

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, carmine said:

to everything starts and finished without throwing hundreds of millions of cash a club hasn't properly generated

"Properly generated" You're living in the past again. Our owners "invested". Now, investing in financial terms  means putting money into a commercial business with the aim of achieving a profit. They invested and we are now turning a profit, meaning we are generating our own funds in the way you consider to be "properly generated". Your argument is now well and truly null and void and you need to move on

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

"Properly generated" You're living in the past again. Our owners "invested". Now, investing in financial terms  means putting money into a commercial business with the aim of achieving a profit. They invested and we are now turning a profit, meaning we are generating our own funds in the way you consider to be "properly generated". Your argument is now well and truly null and void and you need to move on

I thought it meant funneling in vast amounts of cash from the owners other businesses that happen to be your sponsors?

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

I thought it meant funneling in vast amounts of cash from the owners other businesses that happen to be your sponsors?

Indeed that's what a cynic would assume. Fortunately, FFP have trawled through everything thrice and found everything to be nicely above board. So put your mind at rest and move on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Do you honestly believe that the owners actually invested in City to make a profit ? if so it's going to take a hell of a time to get back their investment and any returns, i mean lets face it 10m on an investment of 1.4B isn't great is it ? at 10m per year and looking on the bright side, it will only take 140 years to get back the initial investment ????

Edited by alfieconn