Tottenham Thread

chonabot

dalglish's 'vision' for liverpool? not sure what you mean by that but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick. we immediately replaced torres with two players. you likely to do that with modric?

Simply saying Dalglish would have sold him anyway £50m or not.

As to us spending the cash on two players that's why any transfer fee will need to be high. I'd like to see Cahill and a quality striker brought in with any transfer money.Lottery winner if you can guess which one Harry would want.

Huddlestone will fill the Modric role with Krancjar as back up. Love to see us sell Keane and Defoe and bring in Forlan as well but that's a step too far I suppose..

Edit: Just to add if Parker is available on a season loan for £3m its a great deal given the injury to Sandro and we should explore the possibility...

Edited by smokie36

....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

We all know he is a very good player indeed.

He attempted the 4th most passes of any player in the Premiership.

He had a completion rate of 86% which was the second highest completion rate of any player after Michael Essien.

And he ranked in the top 10 for 'key passes' - those that led to scoring opportunities (so he wasnt just passing it around to his nearest player.)

Ranked 5th for most successful passes in the final third of the pitch.

So in terms of being a creative midfielder he must rank up there somewhere around the best in the Premiership.

Anyway absolutely no way Levy will take 30m (especially if Man U dont buy Sneijder). He should probably take 35m to end the matter. But it wouldnt surprise me if he turned down 35m just out of the principle of it.

smile.gif I like this post.

....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

He had a completion rate of 86% which was the second highest completion rate of any player after Michael Essien.

And he ranked in the top 10 for 'key passes' - those that led to scoring opportunities (so he wasnt just passing it around to his nearest player.)

So in terms of being a creative midfielder he must rank up there somewhere around the best in the Premiership.

Anyway absolutely no way Levy will take 30m (especially if Man U dont buy Sneijder). He should probably take 35m to end the matter. But it wouldnt surprise me if he turned down 35m just out of the principle of it.

I dont know if you are taking the piss. But be careful statistics are a deadly virus.

Over on the Liverpool thread things have reached the stage that both Stevie and Devil actually quoted statistics today.

After the irritation boredom argument phase little statistics creep up on you and give you a warm fuzzy feeling because they support your argument

Then you start to wonder if they might mean something, Like Modrics most important statistic is his 5th ranking in completed passes in the final third of the pitch which is one of the holy grails of football statistics.

And you start to look up statistics.

And then instead of thinking statistics are meaningless you try and find out what the meaningful ones are. So the reason I know Modrics statistics is because someone said they were bad (so they were clearly looking at the wrong statistics) and the question was what was he doing that makes him so good.

And when I hear that Hodgson has greater possession, more passes and more pass completions than Kenny Dalglish I want to know the reason why Kenny Dalglish scored so many more points and won so many more games and I am not going to tell you because you are not interested (yet)

And if I was a Spurs fan I would want to know why if I am ranked number 1 in the league for chances created, why cannot I score more goals than Blackpool who got relegated (and you couldnt even score the goals against the worst teams in the league). Now I can tell you it is not bad luck. And there is an answer (but I dont happen to know it.)

And the sad thing is that all the football fans claim they hate statistics while the league is 20 teams playing 19 others home and away to see who scores the most points. What a fuc_king geeky competition is that? Anyway I warn you it is a virus and it is going to spread.

I dont know if you are taking the piss. But be careful statistics are a deadly virus.

Over on the Liverpool thread things have reached the stage that both Stevie and Devil actually quoted statistics today.

After the irritation boredom argument phase little statistics creep up on you and give you a warm fuzzy feeling because they support your argument

Then you start to wonder if they might mean something, Like Modrics most important statistic is his 5th ranking in completed passes in the final third of the pitch which is one of the holy grails of football statistics.

And you start to look up statistics.

And then instead of thinking statistics are meaningless you try and find out what the meaningful ones are. So the reason I know Modrics statistics is because someone said they were bad (so they were clearly looking at the wrong statistics) and the question was what was he doing that makes him so good.

And when I hear that Hodgson has greater possession, more passes and more pass completions than Kenny Dalglish I want to know the reason why Kenny Dalglish scored so many more points and won so many more games and I am not going to tell you because you are not interested (yet)

And if I was a Spurs fan I would want to know why if I am ranked number 1 in the league for chances created, why cannot I score more goals than Blackpool who got relegated (and you couldnt even score the goals against the worst teams in the league). Now I can tell you it is not bad luck. And there is an answer (but I dont happen to know it.)

And the sad thing is that all the football fans claim they hate statistics while the league is 20 teams playing 19 others home and away to see who scores the most points. What a fuc_king geeky competition is that? Anyway I warn you it is a virus and it is going to spread.

Yes its good to see an argument backed up by stats but even without them the argument for selling Modric is weak given his long contract. See my reply to Stevie's post.

Even if we did the majority of the money needs to be spent on strikers which is obvious to anyone watching us last season...and you mention Blackpool....a game I remember with absolute horror.

We don't watch to see our stats improve though.....we have played ourselves and enjoy watching a game almost as much as taking part......except when Wigan are playing obviously! biggrin.gif

Yes its good to see an argument backed up by stats but even without them the argument for selling Modric is weak given his long contract. See my reply to Stevie's post.

Even if we did the majority of the money needs to be spent on strikers which is obvious to anyone watching us last season...and you mention Blackpool....a game I remember with absolute horror.

We don't watch to see our stats improve though.....we have played ourselves and enjoy watching a game almost as much as taking part......except when Wigan are playing obviously! biggrin.gif

One of your problems you face is that Modric's stats are really good - he is doing the work of about 3 players. I dont have the average data so I cant show you. The other problem you have is that he is a Central Midfielder who is making very productive passes. Nearly 600 completed passes in the last third of the pitch. So what worries me is that say Aaron Lennon appears very creative in terms of 'key passes' (he is top 15) but my suspicion would be that his key passes originated from passes from Modric. Essentially what I am saying is that you risk doing the opposite if Villa. You have about the most creative midfield/wing etc in the Premiership. All it needs is two strikers to start banging them in the back of the net.

The problem and I admit I am guessing without looking up the stats is that Modric is so 'productive' and so 'central' that you risk ruining your entire creativity to gain two strikers who then find they dont have the opportunities. If I was to make it very simple Modric has 64 chances created, Aaron Lennon has 64 chances created but Modric has almost 600 passes into the final third of the pitch - you start to wonder how many of those went to Lennon that he then made the 'key pass'.

And a lot of these are key stats, they are not nonsense like 'assists'. You look at Modric's number of passes (the number of passes doesnt mean much because players pass it amongst themselves but he is a central midfielder). Then he is producing 600 completed passes in the top third, he is up their with the top 'key passes' and on top of that he has the second highest completion rate of all passes while his passes are far more creative and less likely to be successful.

Anyway on Modric I am going to go a bit off wall and say that Levy isnt going to sell him at all. This is partly because the trash news says the deal is basically done and I know Levy wouldnt take it. He actually cant afford to - Harry has successively undermined his credibility over the past 4 months so I imagine fans who dont have much time for Levy are looking for him to perform - he cant afford to lose his credibility too. I also get the hunch that Levy doesnt want to sell Modric because he would then have to give the money to Harry. It makes some sense to store it in Modric and then hand it over to the new manager when he arrives. BTW that is a totally made up conspiracy theory based no evidence whatsoever.

One of your problems you face is that Modric's stats are really good - he is doing the work of about 3 players. I dont have the average data so I cant show you. The other problem you have is that he is a Central Midfielder who is making very productive passes. Nearly 600 completed passes in the last third of the pitch. So what worries me is that say Aaron Lennon appears very creative in terms of 'key passes' (he is top 15) but my suspicion would be that his key passes originated from passes from Modric. Essentially what I am saying is that you risk doing the opposite if Villa. You have about the most creative midfield/wing etc in the Premiership. All it needs is two strikers to start banging them in the back of the net.

The problem and I admit I am guessing without looking up the stats is that Modric is so 'productive' and so 'central' that you risk ruining your entire creativity to gain two strikers who then find they dont have the opportunities. If I was to make it very simple Modric has 64 chances created, Aaron Lennon has 64 chances created but Modric has almost 600 passes into the final third of the pitch - you start to wonder how many of those went to Lennon that he then made the 'key pass'.

And a lot of these are key stats, they are not nonsense like 'assists'. You look at Modric's number of passes (the number of passes doesnt mean much because players pass it amongst themselves but he is a central midfielder). Then he is producing 600 completed passes in the top third, he is up their with the top 'key passes' and on top of that he has the second highest completion rate of all passes while his passes are far more creative and less likely to be successful.

Anyway on Modric I am going to go a bit off wall and say that Levy isnt going to sell him at all. This is partly because the trash news says the deal is basically done and I know Levy wouldnt take it. He actually cant afford to - Harry has successively undermined his credibility over the past 4 months so I imagine fans who dont have much time for Levy are looking for him to perform - he cant afford to lose his credibility too. I also get the hunch that Levy doesnt want to sell Modric because he would then have to give the money to Harry. It makes some sense to store it in Modric and then hand it over to the new manager when he arrives. BTW that is a totally made up conspiracy theory based no evidence whatsoever.

Suggest you check Huddlestone's stats before writing us off! smile.gif

You should never discuss stats with non-statisticians because while you provide all your data to support your argument, they actually ask you to look up their data for them.

You should never discuss stats with non-statisticians because while you provide all your data to support your argument, they actually ask you to look up their data for them.

laugh.gif

wink.gif

Just keeping you busy lad.....

Perhaps someone can help me out here because I've read a few places that Chelski have offered Modric £130000 a week deal.

There I was imagining this was illegal...as he's under contract with us. I must have misunderstood the rules.

Never mind...they willoffer another few mill and Levy will have yet another easy decision to make. Ho hum....

Perhaps someone can help me out here because I've read a few places that Chelski have offered Modric £130000 a week deal.

There I was imagining this was illegal...as he's under contract with us. I must have misunderstood the rules.

Never mind...they willoffer another few mill and Levy will have yet another easy decision to make. Ho hum....

you're not seriously complaining about tapping up and undermining other clubs' players when you have harry redknapp as manager are you smokie? ;)

you're not seriously complaining about tapping up and undermining other clubs' players when you have harry redknapp as manager are you smokie? ;)

This is why Levy does our buying and selling....not so different from Chelsea......only worlds apart.

Today's rumour has them 'preparing' a £30m bid. No need lads really jsut send us a fax and we'll save you the trouble of going down the pawn shop! unsure.gif

I'm really believing now this whole circus is not about buying Modric but simply unsettling our team.

Like Chelsea need to unsettle Spuds (snort). Delusions of grandeur hit WHL again shock horror.

Now SAF saying that Nasri is clearly not on the cards is a serious case of trying to unsettle the Arsenal team. Everyone knows the Great White is at his most dangerous when he's drifting away but looking back over his shoulder.

[i'd use the tounge-in-cheek emoticon if there was one :rolleyes:]

Today's rumour has them 'preparing' a £30m bid. No need lads really jsut send us a fax and we'll save you the trouble of going down the pawn shop! unsure.gif

I'm really believing now this whole circus is not about buying Modric but simply unsettling our team.

Hahahaha laugh.gif love it!

Delusions of grandeur indeed.

biggrin.gif I'll get my coat....

biggrin.gif I'll get my coat....

Right I'm rolling up my sleeves and asking why is Villas Boas saying " You know what the situation is. It is public."

Chelsea aint a football club its a bloody circus.

Take the 30 mil smokes, sell keane, jenas, lennon, palacios for another 20 and buy torres from chelsea ;)

James, Sandro is out for three months so how can we sell Palacios now?

Why onearth would Levy sell Modric for 30m? Should we throw in Kranjcar aswell just to make it an early christmas present!

Robbie Keanes sell will be an almost irrelevent sum with regards our transfer aspirations anyway. Frankly we just dont want his 70k per week wages.

Why would we want to pin our goal scoring hopes on an out of form sicknote? I'm still not convinced the guys physically up to the premier league. We also have a wage structure which could not accodate him.

gallas crocked aswell as Ledly. Can't really sell Bassong now. Good job Caulkers on loan Harry isn't it whwn you simply will not let go of a center back that one has one knee.

How lon will it be before Levy realises (and cockney git for that matter) than its no good for the club to keep a coach wiwho is only thinking short term to protect his own tenure and securing the job as England coach. He has to get rid of Redknapp or we'll end up with a makeshift team to last the necessary six months before he leaves us.

If my memory serves me well, which ofcourse it does, thats your first good post. Amused me that did. :D Well done JD. Can we expect more of the same biting wit? Or will you, as i suspect, flatter to decieve?

biggrin.gif Cheers alf. Meanwhile we continue to build the best U17 team in the country. Is this our new transfer policy?

Wait until Harry's gone...in 5 years time etc etc.....given he's deep in the mire down in SSarf London this week I can only asume this is being done by Levy and his scouts.

Who is in charge at the Lane in terms of first team recruitment nowadays....does anyone know??

Bewildering.....