Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

Some oldies care a lot about leaving money to relatives. One of my Grandads more or less aggressively avoided medical care at the end so that all his money would wouldn't be sucked out in his last days. Not for himself but so that there would be something left for his heirs.

My mother 81yo died a few weeks ago from cancer...she refused chemo for 2 reasons firstly it would only prolong her agony and secondly the oncologist wanted money in the thousands.She wasnt willing to part with that.But because the cancer had spread very fast (within a month)it wasnt a cure and there was no guarantees it would even prolong her a few more weeks.We got a 2nd opinion and that Oncologist was more blunt and told her not to waste money on Chemo because it had spread too quick.

So yes she left it to me which im very grateful for.

Sorry about your mother, but perhaps that money will allow you to get decent hotel accommodation instead of spending 150 baht to share a room with a 75 year old man.

No I have been sick the last few weeks so i wanted to be around people.

Secondly money from inheritance doesnt move that fast,it takes awhile waiting for death certificates etc.

Depressed being around depressing people is hardly a cure

• Like 1

My Mom would treat me to expensive stuff in her later years. She even said you know I'm spending your inheritance. Personally I was quite a free spender in my 30s and 40s but that's not sustainable for me now. Patterns can change.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing wrong with living frugally. Anyone of a certain age will remember the early post-war years in UK when rationing was still in place. That's what taught some of us how to live easily on very little, also to lower expectations. Having said that -- everyone is different and some people just can't survive without being "consumers" in one way or another. Each to their own, but don't expect everyone to be able to live on so little - but others should not scoff at such frugality - it is a mind-set, not a need. As for savings -- there is a good chance that the older ones of us are "self-insured" for health issues and that's what the savings are for. Only a complete fool would sit around in their pensioners years with no safety net.

• Like 1

JPINX Your right about the safety net and thats what Larry the guy i boarded with for a few nights told me.

The point is this,you need money for medical care,particulary if you dont have insurance in Thailand AND not all treatment is covered by insurance,its ok saying you have health insurance in Thailand but when shit hits the fan does it cover say different types of Cancer treatments? Is Chemotherapy covered? Radiation ? Etc..what about when the Oncologist says sorry i cant do anymore for you? Is Palliative Care covered ?Is home nursing covered? Pain injections ?.if not then you either go back to your home country which in some cases certain Cancer treatment is still not free from the Govt or there is a big waiting list for hospital radiation etc then you pay out of your own pocket to get fast treatment from a private facility.

Thats when you need money behind you,not that they can do much for you anyway once you get that insideous disease but at least you have options with money.

Of course once they suggest Palliative Care treatment in which thry tell you "sorry we cant do anymore for you,you probaly have about 3 to 4 months to live you can go home from the hospital theres nothing more we can do for you here""..thats when you need money behind you to arrange home care...your better off staying in Thailand anyway to die because I can see no sense in going back to your home country where you will either go into a hospice or a nursing home to pass away, far better to have money behind you and emply home nursing in Thailand.Does your health insurance cover home nursing?

Dont think it will never happen to you.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Strange, yesterday the same OP troll told us that he stayed for free in his girlfriends appartment, who also let him bring other girls to the room.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796498-i-got-mentally-sick-and-left/#entry9011704

A new resident troll has joined, don't feed him.

I tried to read that OP, but that was way too hard!

75 and still saving ? For what ? Next life ?

Seem ridiculous to me, he already had 75 years to save...

I agree, I'm 72 and now buy what I want, within reason. If I want lamb shanks and a good bottle of red I buy it. Just bought a brand new Mitsu pickup as well. I had enough scrimping and saving in my younger years when 50% of my income went on my mortgage and I was so broke I couldn't afford to put new tyres on my car, now is the time to reap the benefits of my savings. Some people have been tightwads all their lives and find it impossible to spend a dollar unnecessarily. Only their surviving kin benefit from their money.

You are yoo young, but what about your Parents?

They lived through the Great Depression of the 1920's.

I've heard the stories from those times and maybe that has ingrained a level or frugrality not experienced by the generation who didn't live through those times?

I agree, I'm 72 and now buy what I want, within reason. If I want lamb shanks and a good bottle of red I buy it. Just bought a brand new Mitsu pickup as well. I had enough scrimping and saving in my younger years when 50% of my income went on my mortgage and I was so broke I couldn't afford to put new tyres on my car, now is the time to reap the benefits of my savings. Some people have been tightwads all their lives and find it impossible to spend a dollar unnecessarily. Only their surviving kin benefit from their money.

You are yoo young, but what about your Parents?

They lived through the Great Depression of the 1920's.

I've heard the stories from those times and maybe that has ingrained a level or frugrality not experienced by the generation who didn't live through those times?

Aren't we talking about the living? Not too many people of my age still have living parents, but you don't have to live through a depression to experience hardship. Nobody gave me squat in my life, whatever I have, I earned and saved and went without so I could retire in reasonable comfort.

Some oldies care a lot about leaving money to relatives. One of my Grandads more or less aggressively avoided medical care at the end so that all his money would wouldn't be sucked out in his last days. Not for himself but so that there would be something left for his heirs.

Man, you guys really need to get some form of universal health care in place!

• Like 2

Yes I agree,I think when most of us get tonover 70yo we would go for that "minimalist" lifestyle if we are still single.

Of course people such as my friend choose to be single rather than have a partner because they are "independent", I was going to say "loners" but that would be the wrong word to describe him/them.

He hated anyone doing anything for him and didnt like to rely on other peo0le,well thats what he kept telling me not to rely on others,not even sure what that means but yes he is too independent.

Im not I need other people around me,I cant live by myself,I wonder how many others live independently and prefer it that way ?

Our needs change as we get older,my friend who was 75yo going on 76 in May,lead a minimalist lifestyle ,well thats the way he described it,enjoyed watching his TV on the balcony most days,had his tuna and cucumber sandwiches for lunch every day with a cup of tea,read nearly a new book every week,went walking every morning at 630am,that was his life but didnt want to use a computer !

I remember he had a scrapbook where he wrote down everything he spent.

He was in bed most nights with a book by 10pm,and i really liked him because he still had all his marbles so to speak and hated whingers and whiners ...such as me lol.

Edited by georgegeorgia

For a hospital bill in the hope one can postpone it.

I do see some examples of miserly behaviour living here in Pattaya, and often feel it has become some sort of obsession rather than necessity.

Better to live frugally in a nice climate and with a view of the sea.

Everyone is different. Dropping into the Thai economy will keep you living here very cheap. Thai economy? Don't spend your money on farang items. Get everything from the local markets. Easy.

My local Thai market is more expensive for fruit and vegetables, also meat, chicken and fish, than Macro. I only shop there if I don't want to make the drive to Macro. I'm also a little put off by the lack of cleanliness, flies cover everything.

GREAT stuff Benmart !!Love your philosphy of life.

On another note I think I could live minimally in Pattaya too...the only thing is im addicted to coffee and I found that expensive in supermarkets..but if your a pensioner in a bad/crime ridden area in the West just as my friend was then I think Pattaya is more preferable.

The only thing is i must say having lived at my friends condo building and a girls Flybird condo i found the neighbours didnt care about noise in those buildings....constant slamming of doors ...lighting smokey fires outside etc etc

I dont think the air was very healthy somehow either.

I think if it was me i probaly would get a house with a small back garden to sit in rather than a small condo.

But yes I think easily you can live on 20k a month,my friend saves nearly 20k from his 35/38k pension each month.

Granted no rent but still budgets for strata fees which i think was 300 baht per quarter ...cable TV ,sorry i didnt ask him much that was.

Then he has electricity which was very low as he very rarely turned lights on,he had water to pay ,then food bill.

Look I went to my favourite place the Punch and Judy pub for my favourite bangers and mash 190 baht,my friend Larry was right when he said do you do this everyday in Farangland and the answer is no of course not...so you wouldnt go out everynight in Pattaya either.

One place I loved was having breakfast at Simple Simons 120 b in Jomtien..i thought you cant get better value than that even making it yourself..but as my friend Larry said you would get sick of this every morning if you lived here in Pattaya...probaly...but i do doubt you can make such a breakfast at home for 120b.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

Hard to say Paddy.The guy im talking about isnt poor he has cash saved in the bank.

But he kept telling me over and over not waste money because you never know when you might really need it someday.

I will say this,I looked up to him as a kind of father figure because he was one of those people who can look after themselves without the need of a support person,im not like that unfortunately.

I wish i could live by myself too but I cant i need people around me,my Mother was the same as Larry and lived alone and looked after herself when Dad passed away.

Sounds like he is saving for self insured hospital visit.This is what i am striving for,binging on Archa is my problem.

I am just assuming that if the guy washes his own clothes by hand he doesn't have significant wealth, period.

You occasionally here stories about homeless beggars who die with multimillion dollar dollar estates.

You hear about them because they are so rare and those people are TOTALLY CRAZY.

Not likely.

Also even when you're living low, you have expected major expenses you might be saving up for ... like medical stuff of course, trips back to the home country, and also things like home repairs, new appliances, etc.

His electric usage is probably that low,he gets it free,way to to.

Edited by louse1953

most of the replies here are really interesting...I am 63yrs old about to retire partime in pattaya...I have worked extra hard,made many sacrifices,have a lttle income and sizeable property investment in nz...I don't intend to scrimp anymore,if I was fit at 75,would still live it up,yes need to save a little for health problems,overwise I think it is crazy taking large amount of wealth to the grave or leaving for family to inherit...I have taught my kids to work hard,live well,lots of travel and invest in good property from early age...they will both be able to retire before 50yrs living off investments....even more importantly,dont be bled by thai females

• Like 2