Government health card thingy.

Crossy

Is that a Social Security card? I can't see it clearly enough to tell for sure.

I was hoping someone may be able to tell me, click on the thumbnail for a bigger view.

How does one allocate a hospital etc. etc.

Yes, that's a SS card. It's good through 2016 - but only if you remain in the system. In the past they issued cards every year, but stopped that practice a number of years ago.

When they gave you the card you should have been told which hospital you are assigned to.

Depending on where you're at, there might be several hospitals available. They let you change the assigned hospital once a year. Novemberish, as I recall.

If you need some treatment that your assigned hospital can't do, they will give you a referral to another hospital to get it done at. You need the referral letter prior to getting the treatment done, or they won't cover it.

In my experience, that wasn't a hassle.

I've had several surgeries at a non assigned hospital with no problems. the only thing I had to pay was the difference in cost between a shared room and a private room. Like paying for the upgrade.

You are probably being charged 750 a month (plus your employer pays a like amount).

When you become ineligible through employment, you can sign up and pay on your own. 432 baht a month for the same full health coverage.

SS also includes retirement, unemployment and a number of other things. The health coverage is the biggee, though.

It's well worth having.

At some point, you can even get your money back, plus interest.

Terry

• Like 1

Is that a Social Security card? I can't see it clearly enough to tell for sure.

I was hoping someone may be able to tell me, click on the thumbnail for a bigger view.

How does one allocate a hospital etc. etc.

From reading the card it clearly states, hospital Pathum (abbreviated) followed by what looks like Wet?

Sorry the writing isnt that clear.

Card valid from 1 Jan 2558 (this year) to 31 dec 2559 (next year).

Yes, that's a SS card. It's good through 2016 - but only if you remain in the system. In the past they issued cards every year, but stopped that practice a number of years ago.

When they gave you the card you should have been told which hospital you are assigned to.

Depending on where you're at, there might be several hospitals available. They let you change the assigned hospital once a year. Novemberish, as I recall.

If you need some treatment that your assigned hospital can't do, they will give you a referral to another hospital to get it done at. You need the referral letter prior to getting the treatment done, or they won't cover it.

In my experience, that wasn't a hassle.

I've had several surgeries at a non assigned hospital with no problems. the only thing I had to pay was the difference in cost between a shared room and a private room. Like paying for the upgrade.

You are probably being charged 750 a month (plus your employer pays a like amount).

When you become ineligible through employment, you can sign up and pay on your own. 432 baht a month for the same full health coverage.

SS also includes retirement, unemployment and a number of other things. The health coverage is the biggee, though.

It's well worth having.

At some point, you can even get your money back, plus interest.

Terry

That's a strange thing. When you're employed you pay 750 Baht on top of what your employer pays, but when you're not eligible anymore you pay a total of 432 Baht for the exact same coverage.

The 432 baht doesn't cover retirement allowance, unemployment and some other stuff. Just health coverage.

I guess the government expects that it is more affordable when you are actually employed and making moneyarrow-10x10.png.

The 750 B per month is the maximum you would have to pay. Many Thai's pay less than that because they don't all earn as much as some foreigners earn.

It's 5% of your salary, with 750 B being the maximum. If you only make 10k a month, you'd pay 500 B, as would your employer.

"If it is a SS card, you have both in and out pt cover but only at the hospital you register with, and you need to be registered. (There is usually some choice of hospital)."

Your coverage is at the hospital that you are assigned to. No need to pre register. You'll be registered at the time of your first visit, as is anyone else going there for care.

A lot of people don't have a choice, especially during the time they enter the system. Some employers choose the hospital for the employee. sometimes that's good, sometimes not. Sometime during the year you can ask to change hospitals if the one you have doesn't suit you. You may or may not be allowed to change. Sometimes a hospital that is in the system has too many SS patients, and will stop accepting new ones. sometimes there just aren't any other hospitals in the area that are in the SS system.

"...but when you're not eligible anymore you pay a total of 432 Baht for the exact same coverage."

It's not that you aren't eligible, just not eligible through employment anymore.

Hard to argue that it's not a good idea.

Edited by TerryLH
  • Like 1

"... interesting note: if you are enrolled for 2 years.. even if you retire or lose your job you can continue the cover.. "

After paying into the system for 12 months you can continue paying on your own if you lose eligibility through employment.

432 baht a month.