Alabama's stand against gay marriage crumbles

Lite Beer

Alabama's stand against gay marriage crumbles
By KIM CHANDLER

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's stand against gay marriage crumbled Friday as judges in most counties sided with federal courts rather than their own chief justice, a Republican who once called homosexuality an inherent evil.

Many counties in the Bible Belt state reversed course and began issuing the licenses to same-sex couples after the latest strongly worded order from U.S. District Judge Callie Granade. She said Thursday that a judge could no longer deny marriage licenses to gays and lesbians, reiterating her ruling striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

"These numbers represent a seismic shift in favor of equality and justice. Resistance to happy, loving and committed same-sex couples getting married is quickly crumbling throughout the state," said Fred Sainz, a top spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, which has been lobbying to expand gay rights nationwide.

Granade's ruling enabling gays to get licenses went into effect Monday after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene. But even then, Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore said county judges were not bound by her decision.

"It's my duty to speak up when I see the jurisdiction of our courts being intruded by unlawful federal authority," Moore insisted in an interview with The Associated Press later Monday.

About 20 of Alabama's counties allowed gays and lesbians to wed on Monday. By Friday that number had jumped to at least 47, the Human Rights Campaign said. Other counties said they would revisit the decision next week.

Granade's ruling made Alabama the 37th state where gays and lesbians can legally wed. It also continued her family legacy of bringing sweeping change to a place where many people didn't yet welcome it.

Her grandfather was Richard Rives, a federal appellate judge whose rulings helped desegregate the South despite resistance to the Civil Rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s.

"Judge Rives, my grandfather, really is my personal hero," Granade said during her 2001 Senate confirmation hearing. She denied then that "judicial activism" describes what her grandfather did — or what she might do.

"The issues on which he more or less broke with precedent were ones which really flew in the face of the Constitution," she said. "I think a judge will always be correct if the decisions that he or she makes are consistent with the plain language of the Constitution."

While many Republican politicians in Alabama criticized her ruling last month and tried to link her to Obama administration policies, Granade was appointed to the federal bench by President George W. Bush.

Granade could have stayed her decision pending a final U.S. Supreme Court ruling, as federal judges in Mississippi and Arkansas did. Instead, she rejected Alabama's argument that keeping gays and lesbians from marrying benefits the state's children. And after Moore urged judges this week to ignore her ruling, she reiterated that they are bound by the U.S. Constitution to treat all couples equally.

Lee County's probate judge, Bill English, said Friday that Granade's order "makes it clear" he had to open his courthouse doors.

Moore's stand against federal authority surprised no one in Alabama, where the 68-year-old jurist who twice ran for governor burnished his conservative image a decade ago with a losing fight to keep his Ten Commandments statue inside the Alabama Judicial Building.

While Moore again appeared on the losing side Friday, a longtime supporter said the 81 percent of Alabama voters who chose to ban gay marriage in 2006 would appreciate his stand.

"I think this lady judge is scaring the daylights out of these people," Orange Beach businessman Dean Young said. "The people are very thankful that Judge Moore is standing up."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-14

The KKK chapter has just issued its support for the homophobic Chief Justice Moore, and these people in Alabama have a way of enforcing their beliefs ...

They are at odds with the new progressive KKK then. wink.png

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/11/10/us-ku-klux-klan-group-brands-itself-as-gay-friendly-and-non-racist/

" mperial Wizard of the United Klans of America Bradley Jenkins said: “That man’s going against everything the bylaws of the constitution of the KKK say. He’s trying to hide behind the KKK to further his political career.” "

But not at odds with the rest of the KKK

• Like 1

I have no real problem with what two men or two women get up to in private ,as long as i do not have to watch or join in (i may make an exeption for the ladies) but there is a reason homosexuality was illegal ,but now homosexuals can marry adopt kids ect ect ,so if now in this enlightened age that is ok and normal ,how long before it becomes "normal and acceptable say to have sex with children ,or animals" is that to just a motter of time ? and to you gay people out there i was born in a time when it was considered a bit "suspect" to even wear suede shoes ,but as i say i have no problem with your choices ,but i do not believe gay people should "marry" or have children ,sorry .

• Like 1

I think the criteria that is used is 'consenting' adults. Children are not adults and having sex with an underage person results in major criminal problems.

I would suspect that most animals would not be cooperative either.

• Like 1

I have no real problem with what two men or two women get up to in private ,as long as i do not have to watch or join in (i may make an exeption for the ladies) but there is a reason homosexuality was illegal ,but now homosexuals can marry adopt kids ect ect ,so if now in this enlightened age that is ok and normal ,how long before it becomes "normal and acceptable say to have sex with children ,or animals" is that to just a motter of time ? and to you gay people out there i was born in a time when it was considered a bit "suspect" to even wear suede shoes ,but as i say i have no problem with your choices ,but i do not believe gay people should "marry" or have children ,sorry .

Which bit of 'consenting adults' don't you understand?

• Like 2

The KKK chapter has just issued its support for the homophobic Chief Justice Moore, and these people in Alabama have a way of enforcing their beliefs ...

Endorsement by the KKK essentially brands the man a bigot of the extreme kind.

If the KKK supported anything I said or did, I would have to reconsider my position because there must be something terribly wrong with it.

• Like 2

Read it,I said I have no problem with what adults do in private,but I do not agree with marrying or adopting kids and do not forget in the 1800s gay sex was banned but child brothels were legal

Read it,I said I have no problem with what adults do in private,but I do not agree with marrying or adopting kids and do not forget in the 1800s gay sex was banned but child brothels were legal

What on earth does that have to do it?

In the 1800s slavery was still legal in the US.

It really is none of your business what two adults get up to unless it is in your back garden.

Getting married is hardly public indecency.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

So you don't marry a same sex partner and don't adopt kids, problem solved.

• Like 1

Mark my words, it won't stop with children and animals. No doubt some enterprising deviants will find ways to legally have sexytimes with cabbages in supermarkets. Then our very food supply will be threatened.

T

• Like 1

Read it,I said I have no problem with what adults do in private, but I do not agree with marrying or adopting kids .........

Better to languish in a succession of care homes until adulthood, than placed with a same sex couple right?

Edited by Lissos
  • Like 2

Mark my words, it won't stop with children and animals. No doubt some enterprising deviants will find ways to legally have sexytimes with cabbages in supermarkets. Then our very food supply will be threatened.

T

I think that's already covered under Public Indecency.

biggrin.png

T

I think that's already covered under Public Indecency.

biggrin.png

"Public indecency"

They'll legalize THAT too -- wake up, sheeple! Don't you see? Don't you see that giving loving same sex couples equal rights is a slippery slope? Nay! It's a slipperier slope--it all began with giving plebs the vote, then women and blacks.

It's an inexorable road to ruin; next, we'll be having to eat sexually violated spunky cabbages! I hope you're happy, you liberal do-gooders.

T

T

I'm sure they also insist on it only being halal cabbage too. And it will be all the democrat femonazi Islamic liberal wetbacks fault. And Obamas. And clintons. And society as we know it will fall to bits....

Oh the horror.

I did read.

You are conflating pedophiles who rape minors with consenting adults.

typical water muddying. Seems you can't help yourself.

T

I'm sure they also insist on it only being halal cabbage too. And it will be all the democrat femonazi Islamic liberal wetbacks fault. And Obamas. And clintons. And society as we know it will fall to bits....

Oh the horror.

Grrrr...you had to mention that uppity Obummer. The usurper is handing out equal rights like they were God-given endowments. WHERE in The Constitution does it say THAT, huh?

T

I did read.

You are conflating pedophiles who rape minors with consenting adults.

typical water muddying. Seems you can't help yourself.

"Water muddying"

That ain't mud, my friend. Those who can't swim in the lake of logic and love, crap in it.

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 1

Here is a sweet story from the Deep South:

http://forward.com/articles/214756/deep-in-dixie-synagogue-stands-up-for-gay-marriage/

HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA — What happens when you marry frigid weather, a deep-in-the-heart-of-Dixie battle over same-sex nuptials and a synagogue determined to take a stand for equality?

Welcome to “Wedding Week” in Huntsville, Alabama, where the city’s only Reform congregation stepped up to host the celebration of all things matrimonial after the state’s top judge resisted a federal court order to allow gay marriage to go ahead — and plunging temperatures made outdoor plans impractical.

Chris Ward and Joe Harden traveled 100 miles to Huntsville from Chattanooga, Tennesseeto to get married legally.

“The South gets a bad name, but this day shows that many of the stereotypes are misleading,” Harden said after tying the knot with his partner of four years. “People who love each other are making families, and even strangers stand up to clap for them.”

Edited by Jingthing