Sophon Cable? Worst Cable TV provider?

alocacoc

The Chinese-Thai owners do speak English and their children have gone to English International schools so have perfect English. I think the family does not care about doing their best in service and quality, they just look at their bank account. They know better.

• Like 1

who wants to use a cable tv provider these days when you can watch all the streamed content you want online ? As long as your internet is fast enough just subscribe to one of the expat packages.

who wants to use a cable tv provider these days when you can watch all the streamed content you want online ? As long as your internet is fast enough just subscribe to one of the expat packages.

Me. No wifi and no decent internet connection. And I like just having it on in the background while I use the internet or do other things.

I can understand that if your internet is slow and not reliable. But I watch Tv-shows on one laptop connected to my 42" tv while I read the news online on another device. All you need is a fast internet line and you can say goodbye to overpriced cable tv subscriptions.

The Chinese-Thai owners do speak English and their children have gone to English International schools so have perfect English. I think the family does not care about doing their best in service and quality, they just look at their bank account. They know better.

Just check out the Political affiliations of the owners and you'll see why Farangs are on their I don't give a @*&k list.

• Like 1

Do Sophon have an English speaking customer service department?

I would guess, "no." Mainly because, they would have to address grievances then.

You would guess wrong. They have people who speak English, however if its internal problem, it takes time to fix.

They also now have a marketing manager, who welcomes all feedback. If anyone wants his number, PM me and will try to find it.

Had a meeting with him and he gave me his card, so happy to share.

However from personal experience, they are having some tech difficulty at the moment in some areas, not all.

3 road is fine, Sukhumvit road has been some problems for past couple of days.

If anyone thinks 200 baht per month cable is the worst, they need their head examined, or switch over to True, where having movie channel and some english channels will cost close to 3000 baht per month

True gold costs 1500 baht a month ,we hardly watch most of it but its there if we want it ,nowhere near 3000 baht ,personally i think its a waste as i download everything but the wife likes the history channel and nat geo.

Not sure of pricing in Pattaya or package deals, in Bangkok, Gold was 2500, plus box rental 300 plus extra movie channels option, from memory 400.

I turned off true some years ago, useless customer service, outrages pricing and hardly anything worth watching.

150-250 baht Sophon at least is dirt cheap, and shows latest movies.

• Like 1

Bloomberg is still on. There are location shuffles from time to time. I think that are in channel 23 slot tonight. Sophon has improved a lot in the past 10 years. What is your better alternative?

I could not find Bloomsberg, S23 is the Australian Channel.

More recently I think Sophon has deteriorated, from an English language perspective.

The 3 film channels now seem to be padded out with disco and condo adverts and the stuff off the old Pattaya promotional Channel.

The picture quality I get is up and down, seems to depend on the time of day, when one is very good and another barely visible.

As others said films can suddenly end in the middle, or are being played with Thai soundtrack or director's commentary. The DVDs themselves are often poor picture quality.

Yes they are cheap, but after 10 years I am beginning to think time for a change.

Edited by jacko45k

Can you give examples of these online services?

I subscribe to ntv.mx. which is the most popular for British and Scandi TV, also with lots of US channels. You can choose between several packages . HD-quality most of the time. You can also buy a Mag250 box if you don't want to use your computer.

http://ntv.mx/?c=2&a=0&p=10#

This is my package:

Entertainment
5 Star 5 USA Alibi BBC Four BBC One BBC One HD BBC Three BBC Two BBC Two HD CBBC Channel 4 Channel 4 HD Channel 5 Channel TV Comedy Central Dave Drama E! entertainment E4 Eden Fox Gold Home ITV 1 ITV 1 HD ITV 2 ITV 3 ITV 4 ITV Be More 4 Pick Really RTE 1 RTE 2 Sky 1 Sky 2 Sky Atlantic Ulster TV Watch Yesterday
Sports (29)
At The Races Box Nation British Eurosport British Eurosport 2 BT Sport 1 BT Sport 2 CTH Stadium 1 CTH Stadium 2 CTH Stadium 3 CTH Stadium 4 CTH Stadium 5 CTH Stadium 6 CTH Stadium X ESPN NBC Extra 1 NBC Extra 2 NBC Extra 3 NBC Extra 4 NBC Extra 5 Racing UK Setanta Ireland Setanta Sports 1 Sky Sports 1 Sky Sports 2 Sky Sports 3 Sky Sports 4 Sky Sports 5 Sky Sports F1 Sky Sports News
Music (2) VH1 Viva
Documentary (15)
Animal Planet GB Crime and Investigation Discovery Channel GB Discovery History Discovery Home and Health Discovery Science GB Discovery Turbo H2 History Nat Geo Channel Nat Geo Wild GB NTV Cars HD
NTV Guns HD NTV Hi-Tech HD Quest
Lifestyle (7)
Good Food NTV ClubMusic HD NTVFitness HD Sky Arts 1 Sky Arts 2 Sky Living TLC GB
Kids (5)
Cartoonito CBeebies Disney Junior Nick Jr Nickelodeon GB
Movies (12)
CBS Drama Film 4 Movies4Men Sky Action Sky Comedy Sky Drama Sky Family Sky Premiere Sky Sci-Fi and Horror
Sky Showcase Sky Thriller TCM
News (5)
Al Jazeera English BBC News CNN Euronews Sky News
Edited by balo
  • Like 2

Can you give examples of these online services?

I subscribe to ntv.mx. which is the most popular for British and Scandi TV, also with lots of US channels. You can choose between several packages . HD-quality most of the time. You can also buy a Mag250 box if you don't want to use your computer.

http://ntv.mx/?c=2&a=0&p=10#

This is my package:

Entertainment
5 Star 5 USA Alibi BBC Four BBC One BBC One HD BBC Three BBC Two BBC Two HD CBBC Channel 4 Channel 4 HD Channel 5 Channel TV Comedy Central Dave Drama E! entertainment E4 Eden Fox Gold Home ITV 1 ITV 1 HD ITV 2 ITV 3 ITV 4 ITV Be More 4 Pick Really RTE 1 RTE 2 Sky 1 Sky 2 Sky Atlantic Ulster TV Watch Yesterday
Sports (29)
At The Races Box Nation British Eurosport British Eurosport 2 BT Sport 1 BT Sport 2 CTH Stadium 1 CTH Stadium 2 CTH Stadium 3 CTH Stadium 4 CTH Stadium 5 CTH Stadium 6 CTH Stadium X ESPN NBC Extra 1 NBC Extra 2 NBC Extra 3 NBC Extra 4 NBC Extra 5 Racing UK Setanta Ireland Setanta Sports 1 Sky Sports 1 Sky Sports 2 Sky Sports 3 Sky Sports 4 Sky Sports 5 Sky Sports F1 Sky Sports News
Music (2) VH1 Viva
Documentary (15)
Animal Planet GB Crime and Investigation Discovery Channel GB Discovery History Discovery Home and Health Discovery Science GB Discovery Turbo H2 History Nat Geo Channel Nat Geo Wild GB NTV Cars HD
NTV Guns HD NTV Hi-Tech HD Quest
Lifestyle (7)
Good Food NTV ClubMusic HD NTVFitness HD Sky Arts 1 Sky Arts 2 Sky Living TLC GB
Kids (5)
Cartoonito CBeebies Disney Junior Nick Jr Nickelodeon GB
Movies (12)
CBS Drama Film 4 Movies4Men Sky Action Sky Comedy Sky Drama Sky Family Sky Premiere Sky Sci-Fi and Horror
Sky Showcase Sky Thriller TCM
News (5)
Al Jazeera English BBC News CNN Euronews Sky News

Incredibly detailed and concise answer. Thank you Sir!

True gold costs 1500 baht a month ,we hardly watch most of it but its there if we want it ,nowhere near 3000 baht ,personally i think its a waste as i download everything but the wife likes the history channel and nat geo.

Not sure of pricing in Pattaya or package deals, in Bangkok, Gold was 2500, plus box rental 300 plus extra movie channels option, from memory 400.

I turned off true some years ago, useless customer service, outrages pricing and hardly anything worth watching.

150-250 baht Sophon at least is dirt cheap, and shows latest movies.

I don't know where you're getting these prices but here is the price of the most expensive package that True offers.

And the reason Sophon is dirt cheap is that it's...well, dirt.

post-73753-0-21836300-1424632129_thumb.g

Edited by MZurf

sound STILL NOT in sync

how hard could that be to fix?

going on weeks now?

Seems like Sophon haven't improved much since I had it installed over 20 years ago. It was removed a month later due their failure to sync sound/picture.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...