Mcdonald's Serves Up Wi-fi

george

McDonald's serves up Wi-Fi

Singapore--You can now have a new side order with your Big Mac.

SINGAPORE: Following a bloom of hotspots in Singapore over the past year, McDonald's Restaurant today launched wireless Web surfing in its fast food outlets.

The new facility will be extended to all 125 of the food retailer's outlets by mid-April this year. It comes as part of the company's efforts to give the restaurants a new modern image, following the introduction of Internet terminals, flat-screen televisions and music videos in various outlets including the one at East Coast Parkway.

Teaming up with technology partners including SkyNetGlobal, ANTlabs, Qala Singapore and iWorld Networking, the new wireless initiative will allow owners of notebooks or handheld devices that support 802.11b technology to access the Internet during visits to McDonald's outlets.

Until the end of April, the service will be free for existing subscribers of other wireless providers. Subsequently, users will be charged S$3 (US$1.78) per hour, with StarHub the only confirmed roaming partner.

According to Jonathan Soon, chief executive officer of SkyNetGobal, discussions are currently ongoing with other providers.

With McDonald's going full steam on the wireless bandwagon, Singapore may not be the last destination. The company revealed that there is a likely chance of similar roll-outs in other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and South Korea.

--CNET Asia 2004-03-23

I went to McD's a few times in Singas, and turned away because there was no room left after all the schoolies doing their home work. McD's and Burger King seem to be spot of choice rather than the study in their HDB Flat, I guess it makes sense for the Schoolies, but what about the rest of us who just want a quickie? Burger to munch on that is...you know what I mean :o