Chinese tourist arrivals boost income of Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

Chinese tourist arrivals boost income of Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI, 21 Feb 2015 (NNT) – Business operators in Chiang Mai are enjoying a dramatic jump in income during the Chinese New Year thanks to the arrival of Chinese tourists.

Chiang Mai province has welcome hundreds of thousands of Chinese people who have helped stimulate the local economy. Local shop operators and peddlers have reportedly earned three times more during this holiday season.

Must-visit tourist spots for the Chinese are mostly natural attractions and elephant camps in Mae Taeng district. Their favorite activities include rafting, sightseeing, shopping and fruit orchard tours.

Kasikorn Research Center has forecast that the number of Chinese tourists arriving in Thailand during the first quarter of the year would reach 1.35 million, an increase of 30.2 percent year-on-year. Their spending is expected to generate 54 billion baht in revenue for the tourism sector.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-21 footer_n.gif

Do Thai people travel to China for the Thai New Year?

No,because it's not an official holiday for Thais. But many Thai Chinese celebrate CNY.

Do/did you travel at your holiday time?

Don't think too many of the business owners here on TV will benefit from the influx apart from the very few that had the business sense to change with the times.

pity elephants. they must have had a hard time being confronted with hords of yelling and screaming CN mainlanders. this makes elephants actually very nervous and even aggressive.

That reminds me when I was at the Panda sanctuary in Chengdu a few years ago very early in the morning.

everything was kinda quiet and peaceful, and there were plenty of signs alerting people to be quiet, not speak loudly a.s.o. as the Pandas suffer a lot from such kind of noise and disturbances.

Then the local tour groups including Thousands of school kids arrived. it was like a giant Tsunami wave of noise approaching.

when they finally arrived at the Pandas compound, it was Thousands of people screaming, yelling , shouting and you weren't able to understand your own word.

I particularly remember the weird picture of a school teacher, standing just in front of such a huge signboard alerting the people to be quiet and adhere to proper behaviour, screaming yelling and shouting at her students for several minutes. I actually took a Video of that but unfortunately I left my camera a few weeks later on board of an aircraft in Indonesia.

At that moment I thought, if the Pandas ever become instinct, it was the Chinese people who actually erased them.

Ah, CHOK DEE to the elephants of Northern Thailands...... please tell them CNY is luckily only a few days per year

• Like 1

Do Thai people travel to China for the Thai New Year?

No,because it's not an official holiday for Thais. But many Thai Chinese celebrate CNY.

Do/did you travel at your holiday time?

Don't think too many of the business owners here on TV will benefit from the influx apart from the very few that had the business sense to change with the times.

"Do Thai people travel to China for the Thai New Year?"

Your answer "No,because it's not an official holiday for Thais. But many Thai Chinese celebrate CNY."

​Your saying that Thai New Years is not a Thai holiday. Incorrect. It is and its the number 1 holiday in Thailand. http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/thailand/

• Like 1

pity elephants. they must have had a hard time being confronted with hords of yelling and screaming CN mainlanders. this makes elephants actually very nervous and even aggressive.

That reminds me when I was at the Panda sanctuary in Chengdu a few years ago very early in the morning.

everything was kinda quiet and peaceful, and there were plenty of signs alerting people to be quiet, not speak loudly a.s.o. as the Pandas suffer a lot from such kind of noise and disturbances.

Then the local tour groups including Thousands of school kids arrived. it was like a giant Tsunami wave of noise approaching.

when they finally arrived at the Pandas compound, it was Thousands of people screaming, yelling , shouting and you weren't able to understand your own word.

I particularly remember the weird picture of a school teacher, standing just in front of such a huge signboard alerting the people to be quiet and adhere to proper behaviour, screaming yelling and shouting at her students for several minutes. I actually took a Video of that but unfortunately I left my camera a few weeks later on board of an aircraft in Indonesia.

At that moment I thought, if the Pandas ever become instinct, it was the Chinese people who actually erased them.

Ah, CHOK DEE to the elephants of Northern Thailands...... please tell them CNY is luckily only a few days per year

The Chinese don't mind at all eradicating every last wild tiger in the world for the sake of their superstitious medical notions that tiger penis will enhance human male sexual performance. Not to mention elephants for their ivory.

• 3 weeks later...