Should I Open?

Stranger2Isaan

What I don't really understand is why would they need so much money. I always ask myself this. I come from a well educated Chinese family and am well aware what is happening here. Her mum has no gambling habits, that's ok. She tells my gf she has many things to pay, I ask her back. Like what? Water? Electricity? That's all paid by me. Insurance? Ok, that's perhaps once a year. Food? Her tuk tuk driving dad always brings food home after work. I just don't <deleted> understand what is there to pay every month. I asked my gf if her mum had taken a loan and refinanced her house, she said no. So what is there to pay? My gf gives her mum approx 2k Malaysian ringgit a month which is equivalent to 20k thb and that's not enough?

Believe it or not, most small farmers families live well with just 20.000 THB/month......

20000 Baht/month for small farmers?

Many here still dream about that.

E.g. offseason they are working up to 12h on broom making. 0.7 Baht net per piece.

200 per day is a good performance.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Well then, I'm a 27 y/o which moved in with my thai gf and her parents. She was working as a receptionist in Malaysia before I met her. I told her to go back to Thailand and I would start a business here.

On what visa/ permission to stay are you living here?

I'm wondering if I open this cafe, would her mum would want to join in?

Your question seems designed to stir the pot here at TV, whether by design or in innocence, I wouldn't want to speculate.

Run forrest RUN!!

The only chance!

A drunk mother complaining for more money?

What else do you need as warning sign?

Get a distance no less than 10h by bus.

If your GF follows you, OK.

If not: forget her.

run forest RUN back to malaysia otherwise you toooooooooooo will become a drunken skint ex.

O.P. being of Asian origin yourself you will be well aware of the culture that children are expected to care for their parents. The fact that your g/f sent 20k baht a month to her family is evidence of that. Nothing you will do or say will change that. Unfortunately you have had the bad luck to met a woman whose mother appears to be a drunken lazy cow.

You have been in the country less than two months and already you are contemplating an enterprise that can only (IMO) end in disaster. Your residence here in Thailand on tourist visas is tenuous at best. You're young, go back to Malaysia, if your g/f goes with you well and good, you can visit Thailand on your holiday breaks.

Not bad young man 38 replies plus mine...had you brought up the idea of a dual pricing menu for the restaurant with Thai prices on one side and farang prices (doubled) on the other you may have roped in another 30 or more posters! Well done though.

May I please interrupt this thread? I have a girlfriend who has a no good drunken mother and brother too. I am thinking of building a restaurant on a vacant lot to rescue them from themselves. My girlfriend doesn't work because I moved her and myself into a hellhole where her drunk mother and boyfriend brother live. I have just one question:

Who is this OP troll? crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just open a cafe, it'll be busy all the time. Give the gf mum money for more booze to keep her quiet. Pay all bills & work like a dog continuing to live at the parents house. Do this for a minimum of 20 years.

Then, after that, look back & realise you made massive mistake & also realise you've got no assets & it's too late for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You friends are right. You are stupid.

But they are also right. You are blind.

You can't see the big, red, flashing warning sign and you're about to hit it.

Mum's a drunk. Brother is a drunk. They always have their hand out for money. You think this will change or get worse?

Plenty of good advice. Let's just see how dumb you are and if you take it, or not.

Get the hell away from the leeches. If the girl comes, then great, if not, you will get over it.

A week or 2 of misery if she leaves you, or a lifetime of misery if you stay.

Your call kid....do you want some thinking music?

What I don't really understand is why would they need so much money. I always ask myself this. I come from a well educated Chinese family and am well aware what is happening here. Her mum has no gambling habits, that's ok. She tells my gf she has many things to pay, I ask her back. Like what? Water? Electricity? That's all paid by me. Insurance? Ok, that's perhaps once a year. Food? Her tuk tuk driving dad always brings food home after work. I just don't <deleted> understand what is there to pay every month. I asked my gf if her mum had taken a loan and refinanced her house, she said no. So what is there to pay? My gf gives her mum approx 2k Malaysian ringgit a month which is equivalent to 20k thb and that's not enough?

An honest answer to your question.No. 20 K is really good money for an ordinary Thai family in Isaan, where a Thai teacher usually starts with 10K/month.

Somebody working 6 days/week at a 7 Eleven might take home 8 to 12- K. Or less.

Without wanting to hurt you, but you do seem to pay for having sex with your girl friend. plus on your best way to lose even more money. And your mind.

Your visa status seems to be a big problem, as the always changing laws could make it impossible for you to get another visa soon.

Mukdahan seems such a nice place to live, C'Mon.....it's only convenient, because you can take off to Laos to get another extension.

Run away as fast as you can. Or just rethink your relationship. You can't buy love, nor friends.

How often do you sleep with your gf a month? Take 20 K, divide the times you have sex with her and you now how much you're paying her...

And please stop taking over the responsibility, they're trying to give you, to support all of them. You will never win this battle.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

If you and your GF what to make a go for it , try it. But not with the rest of the family. If they are in Muk , the closest I would settle is Ubon or Udorn. Close enough to visit family. Far enough they are not living with you. Just rent till the GF is the TW. Then buy.

Your girlfriend might be a better source of an answer to that than TV.

mum gets drunk easy , please how old is mum , kap .

papa salesman , he sell what? maybe paracetamol ..??

you lucky , you find good lady and family . rolleyes.gifwai2.gif