Two Russian tourists injured by fleeing pickup

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A pickup truck that refused to stop at a road checkpoint in Pattaya hit and injured two Russian tourists late Wednesday night, police said.

Police did not identify the two Russians, who were hit by the truck in front of the Ambassador Hotel Jomthien shortly after 11 pm.

The truck driver, Adithep Thongluam, 36, was arrested after the vehicle was hit into the middle by another car, prompting it to be unable to flee further.

The vehicle chase incident started at 11 pm when police and troops were jointly manning a road checkpoint in front of Soi Krom Thidin in South Pattaya.

Officials at the checkpoint spotted the Mitsubishi pickup with a driver and two passengers and the officials asked the truck to stop for routine check. However, the truck sped off.

Officials at the checkpoint chased after the truck. It also refused to stop but slammed through another checkpoint in front of the Pattaya Court. While breaking through the Pattaya Court checkpoint, the Mitsubishi truck hit a police vehicle and another vehicle of the Interior Ministry.

The Mitsubishi truck then hit the two Russian tourists before it was slammed into by a car in front of Sattahib Technical School before it stopped.

Police arrested the driver while two passengers ran into a roadside bush. Over 100 police, troops and Interior Ministry officials conducted a manhunt at the area but have not yet found the two men.

The driver said he already stopped at the first checkpoint but his two passengers shouted at him, telling him to flee. He said he was frightened and tried to flee as told.

• Like 1

I am sure Adithep knows who was with him in his truck and will be suitably induced over the next few days to reveal their names and addresses.

Let's hope the Russian tourists are OK and will return to their homeland with nothing but happy memories of their time in Pattayarski.

Geez, this incident sounds like it should have been on an episode of "World's Dumbest Drivers".

I hope all involved go to jail for a very long time. The destruction and havoc they caused is something you generally only see on TV.

Wanna bet that TV is exactly where he got his hairbrained escape idea from. If it works on TV it must also work for him.

Having watched youtube videos of the mayhem that is the Russian driving I would guess the the two unfortunate Russian tourists thought they were at home.

"Over 100 police, troops and Interior Ministry officials conducted a manhunt at the area but have not yet found the two men" Crikey do they apply these resources to more serious crime?

Pick-up flies through 2 checkpoints and injures 2 Russians in South Pattaya

truck.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Two Russian Tourists were injured as a pick-up truck containing 3 men failed to stop at 2 checkpoints in South Pattaya on Wednesday Night.

The first checkpoint was manned by Army Soldiers and District Officers who were randomly stopping vehicles and their drivers in search of illegal drugs. A Mitsubishi Strada approached the checkpoint and was ordered to stop but failed to do so, and sped through narrowly missing a soldier.

As officers gave chase the pick-up approached a second checkpoint manned by Pattaya Police, in front of the Pattaya Provincial Court also in South Pattaya. Once again the pick-up flew through the checkpoint and struck two Russian pedestrians who sustained minor injuries.

A chase involving Police, Army and District Officers took place and eventually came to an end on the Sukhumvit Road opposite the Ambassador City Hotel in Jomtien after the pick-up driver lost control of his vehicle and slammed into a street pylon. The two passengers in the truck were able to escape leaving the driver Khun Aditaerp aged 36, who sustained minor injuries, to answer for his actions.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/176005/pick-up-flies-through-2-checkpoints-and-injures-2-russians-in-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-13

Ya right! He was scared! Joke..Any compensation for the injured Russians? I doubt it! When I was knocked off my bike by a Thai man, who was far too old to be riding a motorbike, with no helmet, no insurance, no licence, I was accused of causing the accident by his family and they demanded that I pay for damages!!! Although the Police did try to assist me, the family threatened the Police and accused me, of paying the Police off! In the end, I had to pay over 6,000thb to get my bike repaired plus hospitalization bills plus transportation back home, new cloths etc, and what did the that idiot get, a slapped wrist and 500thb fine!!!!!! T.I.T Paradise...