Bank account in bkk for marriage extension

Try some Kasikorn bank I found these the easiest, also be aware that EVERY branch makes the decision there is no central ruling, so if one Kasikorn wont open it move right down to the next Kasikorn

• Like 1

Most of the branches act independently and like many things there are no consistencies and depends entirely on who you speak to on the day. the best advice, is just if one says no, go to the next and keep asking and trying.

MOVED to Banking

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage talking about a farang opening a Bangkok Bank account whether staying a short or long time. Link. Note where it says a reference letter from a person acceptable to the bank. The OP may want to try the Bangkok Bank branch on Silom Rd on the first floor of the Headquarters Bangkok Bank building. Probably would be best to take along the Thai wife so she can vouch for you.

As already mentioned, if one branch turns you down just go try another branch of the same or different bank. Many, many posts on ThaiVisa of farangs being turned down for a new account at branch ABC but easily opened an account at branch XYZ not too far away. This Is Thailand.

Assuming you have a Thai fiancé, why not ask them to help?

All you have to do is sign.

And if they are going to rip you off, better to find out sooner rather than later, yes?

Funny thing is she is putting 400k of her own money in my name.

Well, once you get that account open don't tell immigration that as that is suppose to be money you have earned/saved to prove you can support the wife vs her (or someone else) putting some money in your account for a couple of months or longer just to get the extension.

Also, the bank is looking at "you" meeting their requirements for an account opening; not so much where the money comes from although if they suspect you might be one of those evil farangs (no I'm not imply that of you) who just wants to laundry/hide money then the bank will probably turn you away.

Anyway I went to a bunch of banks today and kept getting refused...her as a guarantor or not. They said it is easy to open account in tourist places like Phuket, Pattaya etc because they do it there for tourists. Not so in Bangkok.

Now I remember that I do have a bank account in pattaya which is probably inactive since I did not renew my overpriced visa debit card. My question is if it is OK to have 400k in pattaya while living in Bangkok. Will there be any issues with immigration.

I am surprised you are having problems in Bangkok.

I opened a savings account with SCB in Ubon Ratchathani last month, just took my wife along with me, all she needed to show was her ID card, I was on a tourist visa.

I have also managed to register for online banking with SCB.

Previously opened the same type of account at the Head Office of Bangkok Bank in Silom Road, all I needed for that one was my passport, I was in Thailand on a 30 day stamp.

Edited by The Fat Controller

Anyway I went to a bunch of banks today and kept getting refused...her as a guarantor or not. They said it is easy to open account in tourist places like Phuket, Pattaya etc because they do it there for tourists. Not so in Bangkok.

Now I remember that I do have a bank account in pattaya which is probably inactive since I did not renew my overpriced visa debit card. My question is if it is OK to have 400k in pattaya while living in Bangkok. Will there be any issues with immigration.

My question is if it is OK to have 400k in pattaya while living in Bangkok. Will there be any issues with immigration.

If you are living in Bkk and are going to apply for an extension, the only problem I can think of is, getting your bank letter from the bank to confirm your balance which immi at CW will want to see when you apply for your extension.

My best advice to you is head out to immi at CW, go to the ground floor under immi and take your pick of any of the half dozen or so banks located there.

They all speak English, know exactly what you want and why you want it, they are used to dealing with farangs with this problem on a daily basis.

Please be aware after arriving at CW to do your extension, even armed with your bank letter you just picked up the day before, its not uncommon to be asked to go and put 1,000 baht into your account, have the bank book updated and a photocpy made to show the nice immi people.

If you are going to choose a bank other than whats available at CW you may have problems.

• Like 2

Seacon square kasikorn bank no problems or kasikorn Bank On Nut BTS inside BIG C no problems did it last week

My question is if it is OK to have 400k in pattaya while living in Bangkok. Will there be any issues with immigration.

If you are living in Bkk and are going to apply for an extension, the only problem I can think of is, getting your bank letter from the bank to confirm your balance which immi at CW will want to see when you apply for your extension.

There is no problem getting the bank statement letter from the bank branches downstairs at Chengwhattana even if your main branch is in Pattaya.... as far as I know you can get the letter from any willing branch, some out in the sticks might not know what you want though.

Remember that Immigration want to see an update of the bank book on that day even if that means the amount stated in the letter is now incorrect ! so best to shuffle some money in the account ( deposit or withdraw making shure not to go below 400,000 baht ) update bank book and then get letter all at the same time.

And if they are going to rip you off, better to find out sooner rather than later, yes?

Why is that funny?

Why is that funny?

because all the smart <deleted> here know Thais only earn a pittance of about 10k a month.........sarcasm intended.

My best advice to you is head out to immi at CW, go to the ground floor under immi and take your pick of any of the half dozen or so banks located there.

They all speak English, know exactly what you want and why you want it, they are used to dealing with farangs with this problem on a daily basis.

Please be aware after arriving at CW to do your extension, even armed with your bank letter you just picked up the day before, its not uncommon to be asked to go and put 1,000 baht into your account, have the bank book updated and a photocpy made to show the nice immi people.

If you are going to choose a bank other than whats available at CW you may have problems.

Never thought about opening an account at CW. Thanks for the tip. I hope it works.

Heck, Bangkok gets more tourists than any location in Thailand, but then again those tourists are concentrated in high rise, central Bangkok. I live in western Bangkok and can go weeks without seeing another farang. At the CW Immigration Bangkok Bank branch you can get the bank letter regardless of the Bangkok Bank branch you have your money in...the fee for the letter is Bt100 and takes about 5-10 minutes to get...I've been doing it for several years now. It' a friendly branch...I have my fixed savings accounts there which I use for my yearly retirement extension and right next door is a Krungsri Bank branch I have another account at....also friendly but very little English capability.

Regarding Krungsri Bank they have a savings account called the Mee Tae Dai saving account that pays higher interest than a typical Thai bank savings account, pays 2.25% (or maybe 2%) right now for balance in the Bt100K to Bt10M range compared to a Thai bank savings account of 0.5%, comes with a debit card and ibanking if desired, no withholding tax if total interest earned per year does not exceed Bt20K, and you can withdrawal funds without an interest penalty like with fixed deposit savings accounts....two free withdrawals per month but the 3d and up withdrawal per month applies a Bt50 fee. They also have a no annual fee debit card although you must take SMS service at Bt19/month....they have some other pricer debit cards that come with accident/life/health insurance which is probably useless unless your accident/death occurs in just the right way on a Sunday between 8 to 9am while your are looking North. Just mentioning this savings account product in case you happen to walk into a Krungsri bank to open an account and they say yes....you would probably be better off opening that account vs a regular low interest paying savings account.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

mate, I opened a bangkok bank account with a multi entry visa and no wp, I had been married a couple of months at the time to my thai wife. She came in with me to the bank and all I had to do was produce my passport and my latest aussie bank statement as well as my thai drivers/riders licences. It was quick and easy.

I know you'll need (more accurately better to have) a Thai bank account for day-2-day use, but couldn't you use evidence of funds in your own country for your marriage extension?

Nope..its gotta be in a Thai bank when using the money in the bank approach for an extension.
  • Like 1

Bangkok Bank Seacon Square and Paradise Park Mall both opened an account for me without a problem. All I needed was passport and the standard recommendation letter from a Thai ( my nephew.) Opened an account at SCB Onnut branch (no english speakers) with just passport with Non-O visa. Kasikorn Seacon Square was our first bank and opened an account 10 years ago with just Visa exempt stamp in passport.

I am likely to need to demonstrate money in teh bank soon, too. Would someone please confirm that the bank account with the 400k needs to be in my solde name, or can it be in joint names? Does it have to be in a commercail bank or can t be in the Thai national savings bank - in an account which benefits from winning pizes in a draw raher than a fixed interest rate (similar to premium bonds). Sorry, I don't know the name.

Must be in your name....funds must be readily accessible vs locked up to where it would take you a while to get funds out. Remember, the money is meant to show you can meet the day-to-day living and support expenses...immediately access the funds at any time; not what you have deposited away is some locked/inflexible account.