Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke

Lite Beer

Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke

LONDON (AP) — The family of World Cup winner Jimmy Greaves says the former England and Tottenham striker is in intensive care after suffering a severe stroke.

A statement says the 75-year-old Greaves had "appeared to have made a full recovery" from a minor stroke in 2012 before being taken ill again on Sunday.

The Greaves family has "asked for privacy during what is a worrying time."

Greaves was part of England's 1966 World Cup-winning squad and, with 44 goals in 57 games, is the country's the fourth-highest scorer of all time.

He also scored 266 goals in 379 matches for Tottenham and was due to inducted into the club's hall of fame on May 13.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-04

I still admire him for this legendary quote:

"Arsenal have class. I remember when I was at Spurs, the Arsenal players would arrive for matches in their navy blazers with the gold gun emblem sewn into their pockets and grey slacks. We couldn’t match their ground with that beautiful main entrance, marble halls and spiral staircase. Even in 1961 when we won the Double, we were never as big a club as Arsenal."

I think he only got his World Cup-winning a few years ago.......... yer great Poacher player, & the first player to get 1,000 quid a week wages, when they brought him back to the UK. Did that ever cause some screams in the daily rag................w00t.gif

I was goalkeeper for the first football team, there were four teams, of Lake Shore Manor Boys Club, Hainault, Essex, in the 1950s. Jimmy joined and was a member of the fourth team as he could not play good football at that time. Suddenly, during a practice game, he changed completely and his game took off. Being born in Fulham, I was a supporter of Fulham and had met Johnny Haynes, known as The Maestro. Haynes and Greaves developed a great partnership when they played together for England.

From here, all DailyMail.co.uk content is blocked, including the link above (I'm using 'True' internet).

The Daily Mail's 'Home', 'Health' and 'Australia' are always blocked if you are viewing the website in Thailand. Its other pages such as 'News' 'America' 'Celebrity' and 'Sport' pages are occasionally blocked, but then only for a short time.

I am posting from Koh Samui with my iPad, and I am not using any apps or special devices to evade the block. I have just checked again, and THIS LINK still works.

Edit: I have just googled 'True' internet, as I did not know what you meant. I see that "True Internet" is "the ISP arm of Thailand's premier communication company, True Corporation Public Company Limited. Originally incorporated as Asia Net Corporation Co., Ltd. in 1995, the company was subsequently renamed as True Internet Co., Ltd. in 2004." It may well be that the whole Daily Mail website is blocked whilst using the True Internet. I guess that you will have to use an alternative ISP.

Edited by silver sea

From here, all DailyMail.co.uk content is blocked, including the link above (I'm using 'True' internet).

The Daily Mail's 'Home', 'Health' and 'Australia' are always blocked if you are viewing the website in Thailand. Its other pages such as 'News' 'America' 'Celebrity' and 'Sport' pages are occasionally blocked, but then only for a short time.

I am posting from Koh Samui with my iPad, and I am not using any apps or special devices to evade the block. I have just checked again, and THIS LINK still works.

Edit: I have just googled 'True' internet, as I did not know what you meant. I see that "True Internet" is "the ISP arm of Thailand's premier communication company, True Corporation Public Company Limited. Originally incorporated as Asia Net Corporation Co., Ltd. in 1995, the company was subsequently renamed as True Internet Co., Ltd. in 2004." It may well be that the whole Daily Mail website is blocked whilst using the True Internet. I guess that you will have to use an alternative ISP.

Blocked

get well soon jimmy greaves at his peak next to gazza best english player i've ever seen.

Great player Jimmy get well soon......rigit............so you never saw Bobby Charlton play whistling.gif

[sNIPPED]

The article has not been blocked. It's worth reading and it's a great tribute to a fine man, by someone who knows him well.

Get well soon, Greavsie.

post-171664-0-61196800-1430813994_thumb.

Edited by mrbojangles
Snipped to keep on topic

I think he only got his World Cup-winning a few years ago.......... yer great Poacher player, & the first player to get 1,000 quid a week wages, when they brought him back to the UK. Did that ever cause some screams in the daily rag................w00t.gif

I seem to remember reading one of his books. Apparently he turned up pissed one day and scored three goals, and still got told off by the manager.

Legend.

One of the all time greats of the English game. Geoff Hurst took over his place in the 1966 World Cup team, though he really wasn't fit to lace Greavesie's boots. He didn't get along with Alf Ramsey.

Get well Jimmy!

Saint & Greavesie's, the odd time the Saint was on his jack as seemingly Jimmy had been on a bender? This episode one had me in stitches when they got him on the back of a bike with Barry Sheen, class! And for anyone who loves bikes look at the mint Katana (brand new the day it was filmed in early 80s)

Edited by Lokie

A few posts tidied up and some removed. Lets keep on the topic please gents.

ok i must have missed that boj mate. apologies if i said something untoward. get well soon greavsie.

Edited by StevieH

Greavsie is due to be inducted in Spurs Hall of Fame on May 13. I can' t understand why he isn' t already. I was at Spurs in March when they honoured the passing of Dave Mackay. Very sad to see that now Jimmy Greaves is seriously ailing.

The Thai Government must be Greavsie fans because they are not blocking THIS article by the UK's top sports journalist.

Martin Samuel is not a journo i like at all but thats a good piece. On reading that piece i was left wondering why he rights so much garbage, so called sports writer of the year or not.

Jimmy Greaves has greater respect from me for the way he manager to stopped drinking at the age of thirty-eight and re focus his life. Always had to take on the challenge daily. He successfully batled the most acute alcoholism.

As a striker, Best said he was the finest he played against and my father says the best he's seen.

Theres still hope Gazza.

Greaves should of course be in our Hall of Fame and is not far behind the most iconic figures in our club, Bill Nich and Dave MacKay

Edited by carmine

The Thai Government must be Greavsie fans because they are not blocking THIS article by the UK's top sports journalist.

Martin Samuel is not a journo i like at all but thats a good piece. On reading that piece i was left wondering why he rights so much garbage, so called sports writer of the year or not.

Jimmy Greaves has greater respect from me for the way he manager to stopped drinking at the age of thirty-eight and re focus his life.

When Greaves and St. John were available for after dinner stuff, the first question on a booking enquiry was "Will there be alcohol served at the event?". If the answer was yes, you would be offered St. John only.

And that was in the 90's.

Jimmy Greaves has greater respect from me for the way he manager to stopped drinking at the age of thirty-eight and re focus his life.

When Greaves and St. John were available for after dinner stuff, the first question on a booking enquiry was "Will there be alcohol served at the event?". If the answer was yes, you would be offered St. John only.

He stopped in '78 i think i read. By his own admission he'd reached the depths of going through the garbage bin looking for dregs in empty bottles.

Must be incredibly strong willed for staying sober all these years dealing with it day to day.

Where do you get this crap from ? i would imagine 99% of these events would have alcohol involved so if what your saying was true then they'd be no point in Greavsie doing the circuit !

He stopped in '78 i think i read. By his own admission he'd reached the depths of going through the garbage bin looking for dregs in empty bottles.

Must be incredibly strong willed for staying sober all these years dealing with it day to day.

yeah think i remember reading a story about him driving round with half a can of petrol in his car boot and mixing whatever he could get his hands on with that to just get whammoed.

Where do you get this crap from ? i would imagine 99% of these events would have alcohol involved so if what your saying was true then they'd be no point in Greavsie doing the circuit !

I get 'this crap' from trying to book them and ending up with St. John for the reason given (although he still did a great show).

Next stupid question?