Village and Tambon Chiefs Petition Against Draft Charter

Village and tambon chiefs all across Thailand protested against a section of the draft constitution that would reform local governments. The group petitioned constitutional drafters and reform panelists to remove the troublesome section of the draft constitution.

Yongyos Kaewkiew, who is chairman of the Village Chiefs, led the group of about 100 administrators in submitting their petition to Thienchay Kiranandana, chairman of the National Reform Council, and Borwornsak Uwanno, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC). The Office of the House Speaker director Weerayut Chareonkul received the letter on behalf of both chairman.

The group is asking for Section 285 to be removed from the draft constitution. This section would completely eliminate civil servants, including tambon and village chiefs, at the local and regional level. Mr. Yongyos called for the retention of a controlled system with local, regional and central administration.

Many village and tambon chiefs are worried that Section 285 would cause local administrative bodies to shut down and anyone working for regional administrations would lose their jobs.

Preecha Watcharapai, a member of the CDC, stated that regional administration would not be affected by Section 285. While Mr. Preecha tried to calm fears that local administration bodies would be removed, he did state that the structure of these bodies would be reformed to make them more efficient.

tvn.png
-- 2015-05-11

Life would become much more difficult for many in this village. Our Puyai ban takes people without transport to the Ampur and helps them with paper work. She helped out when my wife got a new ID with my name on it, actually drove the 25Km there.There are occasional village meetings where things are sorted out as regards to money, new regulations, insurance matters. She was also responsible for us getting a decent road and organises clean up days. Gravy train? I don't think so.

Life would become much more difficult for many in this village. Our Puyai ban takes people without transport to the Ampur and helps them with paper work. She helped out when my wife got a new ID with my name on it, actually drove the 25Km there.There are occasional village meetings where things are sorted out as regards to money, new regulations, insurance matters. She was also responsible for us getting a decent road and organises clean up days. Gravy train? I don't think so.

Then you're VERY lucky not to have one of the self-serving corrupt "chiefs" ... if more were like yours, there wouldn't be a need for changes.

Lucky you. The one in this village is the epitome of all things a normal person should not be, especially a puyai ban.

Wanted,

An electrician to inter connect all the loudspeakers in the district.

I think our local admin are very helpfull and looked up to by all locals.

Would be sad to see them go even if they do make some funny decisions at times.

You are very lucky indeed.

Our Poo Yais house burned down a couple of months ago, due to an electrical fault of course, nothing to do with him leaving his eight year old daughter home alone there while he went to a party.

It is now rebuilt, complete with uPVC windows and doors (the village had a collection, and none of them asked how the village fund was doing)

The Poo Yais are dinosaurs, most of them are on the take and provide no assistance to the people they are supposed to assist.

And get rid of the freaking tannoy systems, that no one likes, but no one dares complain about.

Part of the problem is that the Pu Yai Ban is elected once only and can serve until 60 I believe without EVER standing for election. It should be for a 4 year term and only rened once more to a maximum of 8 years.

Many of them are selfserving and are terrified of losing their jobs and face if they cannot be the Pu Yai Ban any more.

Just how many Pu Yais do most expats on here interact with on a regular basis?

The one our village is a gem, pretty much the same as cooked, but our village is small, and most of the occupants have all known each other a LOT longer than most farangs who set up home there, I'm the only one in our village three a couple in the surrounding villages and we are taking small villages here, less than 50 homes spread out.

There always a friendly and warm atmosphere, and when my wife goes visiting or to a local party they always ask where I am, I feel more welcome there than I did in my local area in Scotland !!

No doubts there are self serving Pu Yais, but it's horses for courses really.

cant wait, maybe it will mean an end to the all night parties he approves, the roads will finally be fixed etc, his house looks great though as well as his new truck, great road in front of his house etc, no wonder these crooks dont want it to change, where will they get all their extra income to support their habits and lifestyle. We constantly complain about the all nighters he allows near our house but as he is no where near them he simply shrugs, as long as they are paying him to let them hold these raves he doesnt care, same with everything else that happens here. They are all simply corrupt and need to be removed even though a few may well be ok, most are not

My wife's uncle is Pu Yai Ban and is a corrupt, self serving, ignorant piece of buffalo poo. He had his village buy him a truck but does not know how to drive, he needed one of course for purpose of face ! My wife won't even let him in to our house and told me the only way he was elected was he paid more money than his opponent ! now why would you pay to be Pu Yai Ban if you weren't going to get a return on your money !