Thai govt revokes Thaksin's passports, citing 'damaging' interview

webfact

>>Due to Thailand’s strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

What a stupid and sad old man Mr T is!!

Even a farang arrived yesterday would know better than to insult the institution.................

according to the information that I read, he did not insult the institution. He wouldn't do that anyway, he is - like so many others in the elite class - a royalist.

his statements were about other people not implicated under Art 112.

this is just being used against him as a rather crude club... Art 112 always is used as a political club...

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically he is not Thai anymore after passport is revoked. So, can he enter the country with some other African republic passport onThaiVisa ?

ROFL. Wildly untrue and a fairly stupid thing to say.. Whether someone holds a passport or not has absolutely nothing to do with their citizenship. A passport is merely a travel document, nothing more. And while a passport is a practical necessity for most of us, there's nothing to stop any country from admitting Thaksin or from not admitting him, passport or no, completely at their own discretion (except for Thailand, which might transport him directly to jail, but could not refuse to admit him).

Edited by hawker9000

Well guess Thaksin S won't be to concerned about losing his Thai passport. I suspect his PR team will now have a field day publicizing to the world the reasoning cited by the General for this action. Illustrates even further to the free world what this current General thinks about free speech, irrespective of what various people think about Thaksin.

There is no such thing as free speech. Everything has a cost attached to it.

Go run around America or the UK using the N word for a few days, and see what it costs you.

Political Correctness is out of control & has been for the last 20 years.

How I long for the 70's agin, when you could really say what was on your mind.

Personally I don't think this is a smart move. He is now an exile who was overthrown by an illegal military coup who will spouting the charges were political etc etc. He will now take the gloves off as he can play to a Worldwide stage now he is an 'exile'. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's aetting up a government in exile. Prayuth has totally played into Thaksin's hands now. Silly person, Thailand and it's junta will now really be under the international spotlight.

When was Thaksin overthrown by a military coup?

There are 2 clearly discernible groups on ThaiVisa....The vehemently ant-Thaksin camp who seem to regard politics in the same way as one might support a football team.........and the other camp, those who understand, or at least try to understand Thai politics and history.

One has to say that the lack of thought by the anti-Thaksin camp is blatantly apparent when one becomes aware of their main tenet; that anyone who disagrees with their mouth-frothingly simplistic points of view must be pro-Thaksin....a premise that unfortunately compels them to fall flat on their face at the first fence of any meaningful discussion

Yeah right.

I have never made that assertion. The same as claiming all those anti-Thaksin are right wing extremist junta fans, as if that somehow legitimizes their defense of the Shins.

Good job we have totally objective, highly educated political scientists who've studied Thai politics and can rationalize and contextualize the complexities like your self of course.

Some posters on here just love saying " I'm not a Thaksin supporter but.............." They usually give themselves away by claiming only they really understand things, attacking Shin opponents at any chance, and of course trying to dismiss anyone who is remotely anti-Thakisn or won't ignore the inconvenient truths.

Your taxonomy is wrong. You missed Shin supporters group, they do come and go, and those who like yourself try and pretend some superior knowledge.

I watched the video of his interview. The LM charge is bogus Bull S**t, as Thaksin didn't say jacks**t about the monarchy. But, as has been noted, by slapping the LM charge on him, that stops the video from being shown in Thailand.

A post bringing HM the King into the discussion has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.
Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Good but I can't understand why the government doesn't automatically revoke the passports of any Thai who jumps bail on a serious charge. There are a number of other criminals at large overseas, e.g. Wattana Asavahame, Jakraphob Nualkhair, Pracha Maleenont etc etc. If their passports are revoked they are still Thai citizens and are liable to be deported to Thailand by their host countries, if they have not obtained another citizenship. Of course, it is academic in Thaksin's case, as he has Montenegrin and possibly Nicaraguan, Fijian and Ugandan passports as back-ups. But it would be more significant to less wealthy criminals who escape across the border to Laos or Cambodia.

Edited by Dogmatix

Well guess Thaksin S won't be to concerned about losing his Thai passport. I suspect his PR team will now have a field day publicizing to the world the reasoning cited by the General for this action. Illustrates even further to the free world what this current General thinks about free speech, irrespective of what various people think about Thaksin.

if he would travell back to thailand, he would need a passport,

but now he would have to use his Montenogro or Columbia passport -

for this passports he will need a Visa !!

Which Ambassy will give him a Visa ??

or can the aircontroll allow his plain to land if he have not the correct passport - visa ??

As a Thai citizen, he doesn't need any passport to enter Thailand.

He may not need a passport to enter Thailand, which I doubt is correct anyway, but he will need a passport to leave whichever country he is currently hiding in.

Not correct, think there is an international convention that will allow him to leave what ever country he is in with documentation confirming "right of entry to Thailand".

Technically he is not Thai anymore after passport is revoked. So, can he enter the country with some other African republic passport onThaiVisa ?

He is Thai until such times as he revokes his nationality.

I'll be more impressed when they issue an international arrest warrant. But in a country where transfers are favoured over actual punishment, I doubt that will ever happen. China have show some fortitude that is sadly lacking here.

As for corruption battles I find most of them are one sided in China and possibly elsewhere. It does not pay to be out of favor in China. If your in power its a great way to eliminate people you do not like.

This is not a question about free speech in general, but about the lese majesty law, which has been in place even under previous elected governments, who all have used it to promote their own agenda!!

"The ministry agreed that the interview violated the ministry's regulations regarding the holding of a passport."

So it is not a question not of the lese majeste law, but of free speech regarding the holding of a passport. Unbelievable!

I have not seen the interview in question, but possibly it went something like this:-

Question :- "I believe that although you are a convicted criminal in Thailand you still hold a Thai passport?"

Answer :- "Yes"

Not any more Mr T!

I thought he had his passport taken off him years ago and travelled around on a Serbian passport or something like that?

Montenego, a small Balkan country of 600.000 souls if I remember.

>>Due to Thailands strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

Even a farang arrived yesterday would know better than to insult the institution.................

Thaksin is a wily old fox and knew that interview would get right up Prayuts nostrils. Seems to have worked, Thaksin certainly won't be losing any sleep on what farangs write on TVF. Best to go back to your bar stool.

I believe he has a close family member engaged in a legal issue as we speak. Do you think he might see that the loss of his passports to be an indication that his family has little sway over the workings of this government?

He might lose his sister for 10 yrs in the near future. How's he going to sleep thinking about that?

Its an ill wind...

I don't think he gives a rat's arse about his sister, if he did he should have thought about it before screwing her life completely in his megalomaniacal pursuit of power and graft. It's a shame that it is unlikely he will ever serve the 10 or more years in goal that he is entitled to by his actions.

>>Due to Thailands strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

Thaksin is a wily old fox and knew that interview would get right up Prayuts nostrils. Seems to have worked, Thaksin certainly won't be losing any sleep on what farangs write on TVF. Best to go back to your bar stool.

No Mr T is an old fool!!

By making himself a 112-suspect, he has closed all doors for a possible return.

Even if an amnesty ever takes place, lese majesty suspects are always excluded!!

PS. I don't drink...........

I doubt the man will have a difficult time living out his life outside Thailand. Money can buy happiness.

Not Thaksin's happiness - that only revolves around power with him in the centre.

This is giving him a spanking and letting him know that if he tries to cause trouble, he will be punished.

Next we will have an 'unconnected' terrorist event and the red-shirts here will try to blame the junta again.

There is no cure for stupid.

Personally I don't think this is a smart move. He is now an exile who was overthrown by an illegal military coup who will spouting the charges were political etc etc. He will now take the gloves off as he can play to a Worldwide stage now he is an 'exile'. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's aetting up a government in exile. Prayuth has totally played into Thaksin's hands now. Silly person, Thailand and it's junta will now really be under the international spotlight.

Keep up the red mantra. He is free to return at any time with or without a passport. As a fugitive criminal he is not entitled to a passport from this country. nor can he claim that as a passport holder there are not serious charges and a conviction waiting him.

wow, you hear something you don't like or disagree with and instead of saying why you think my opinion is msitaken you start with "red Mantra" b/s. I'm not shouting any mantra, I'm just saying what I think. Doesn't mean I'm right, it means it's what I think. He was overthrown by an illegal coup, this is the crux of the matter as far as the west is concerned. Nothing else. Get back to your Chang.

>>Due to Thailand’s strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

Well google what his lovely son said when the police took him drunk and on narcotics.....that will make you understand things easier

Keep up the red mantra. He is free to return at any time with or without a passport. As a fugitive criminal he is not entitled to a passport from this country. nor can he claim that as a passport holder there are not serious charges and a conviction waiting him.

wow, you hear something you don't like or disagree with and instead of saying why you think my opinion is msitaken you start with "red Mantra" b/s. I'm not shouting any mantra, I'm just saying what I think. Doesn't mean I'm right, it means it's what I think. He was overthrown by an illegal coup, this is the crux of the matter as far as the west is concerned. Nothing else. Get back to your Chang.

That's just your biased opinion, the West know well what's been happening but they will always promote the 'democracy' line.

Even John Carey has said 'democracy is more than elections'.

The coup was not illegal....per definition only unsuccessful coups are illegal....

And it is the question if this was a coup. He was an expired caretaker PM who opened the parliament with less than required MPs.....That was all total wrong and illegal......