World acclaim for Thai students' invention to help coral reefs

webfact

EDU UPDATE
World acclaim for Thai students' invention to help coral reefs

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- After recently winning three domestic and international awards, two Burapha University students have received a prestigious honour at a Geneva contest for their latest invention.

It's a computer-controlled lighting system to stimulate and speed up the growth of coral in threatened reefs.

The system's LED bulbs can generate light in different shades and frequencies that simulate natural surroundings of sunlight and moonlight. The result is coral can reach growth maturity weeks and even months faster than normal.

The award-winning students are Natthakorn Kasemsamran, a freshman at the Faculty of Engineering at the Chon Buri-based university, and Natthaphol Chaimark, a fourth-year student at the same faculty.

They said the Golden Award from the 43rd International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva at Palexpo convention in Switzerland would always be remembered as their first global achievement.

Their preparation for the presentation include translation of explanations into French, for the judges and guests in the French-speaking sector of the country.

Natthakorn and Natthaphol said the judges' inquiries and inspection of the |invention at the Geneva contest had been intense.

The Golden Award was a surprise to them both as the other inventions presented in this contest were products of senior researchers or students with master's or doctorate degrees from many countries.

Their invention, titled "computer-controlled LED lights for rearing and propagating corals", had previously won an award from the office of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT), an award titled The Best Invention on Bio Technology from an event in Japan, and the Honorary Award from an event in Macau.

Natthakorn said the invention had already drawn interest from Australian scientists at the event. Their country was experiencing coral bleaching at a very large scale at speedy rates due to changing climate, he said.

An Indian engineering institute had also contacted the pair for information. Plus a Switzerland-based firm, Air Gomm GmbH, had made inquiries into their invention as it wanted to adapt the bulb-related technology to speed up growth of grasses for use as animal feed, or for grass on football pitches or golf courses.

A Burapha University lecturer, Norrarat Wattanamongkhol who is an adviser to both Natthakorn and Natthaphol, said the |technology, however advanced, would be even better as an achievement when combined with Thai unity on protecting the |environment and conserving energy.

YouTube link for more information on the invention:

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/World-acclaim-for-Thai-students-invention-to-help--30261839.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-08

Good to see something positive coming out of the system. They should milk this for all it's worth and hopefully inspire others.

Thai education bashers; You can have a day off

it,s a fantastic story for these 2 students but dont forget out of how many,a young friend of mine yesterday finished university for her masters told she has already passed without before officially knowing..rather quick dont you think.no-one fails.thats why i had to go to london to get my masters in business management because a thai masters is not recognised...why could that be..whistling.gif .thats not to take away from the achievement of these students though..

Good to see something positive coming out of the system. They should milk this for all it's worth and hopefully inspire others.

Just one day, though, because most bashing of Thai education is fully warranted.

Well done, students. Lets just hope two things; 1. More innovation comes out of Thailand and 2. more environmental concerns are addressed in Thailand.

Congratulations to the 2 students. But honestly, I cannot see where the invention is. The use of LED lights for rearing corals is not new.

Take it up with the judges at 3 competitions. I reckon they would know if something is not original.

I think it had to do with the computer controlled timing, and the combination of sunlight and moonlight. Corals are nocturnal.

it,s a fantastic story for these 2 students but dont forget out of how many,a young friend of mine yesterday finished university for her masters told she has already passed without before officially knowing..rather quick dont you think.no-one fails.thats why i had to go to london to get my masters in business management because a thai masters is not recognised...why could that be..whistling.gif .thats not to take away from the achievement of these students though..

Just to be clear....some degrees are recognised overseas. My wife's MA from PSU is accepted in New Zealand. Had it been from, say Thaksin University, she may as well have stayed home and photoshopped a degree saying she had a PhD in unicorn husbandry for all that would be worth.

(And because some will be curious...Thaksin means Southern and has nothing to do with a notorious fugitive.)

Congratulations to the 2 students. But honestly, I cannot see where the invention is. The use of LED lights for rearing corals is not new.

Seems to be related to using different wavelengths and cycles of light. In particular simulating Moon cycles seems to be the main thing, since corals utilize those cycles to regulate their reproduction.

They said the Golden Award from the 43rd International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva at Palexpo convention in Switzerland would always be remembered as their first global achievement.

That's a very inspirational statement. Hopefully all Thai students will feel empowered and energised by the actions of these two brilliant young people. I am truly humbled to read this story, I congratulate them and wish them further great successes in the future.

Take it up with the judges at 3 competitions. I reckon they would know if something is not original.

I think it had to do with the computer controlled timing, and the combination of sunlight and moonlight. Corals are nocturnal.

Yes, that is what I thought too when I read the article. Must be the computer-controlled timing. I am happy for the students.

"the |technology, however advanced, would be even better as an achievement when combined with Thai unity on protecting the |environment and conserving energy. "

Maybe the Junta regime can put rings of this LED technology around the nine coal-fired power plants it plans for Thailand.

more information and references need to back up your comments. wai2.gif

"Natthakorn said the invention had already drawn interest from Australian scientists at the event. Their country was experiencing coral bleaching at a very large scale at speedy rates due to changing climate, he said."

I'll bet they did, Australia nearly put on the UNESCO {or some UN body} shit list over the decline of the Great Barrier Reef recently.

Anything to revive it is of interest to them.

Just to be clear....some degrees are recognised overseas. My wife's MA from PSU is accepted in New Zealand. Had it been from, say Thaksin University, she may as well have stayed home and photoshopped a degree saying she had a PhD in unicorn husbandry for all that would be worth.

(And because some will be curious...Thaksin means Southern and has nothing to do with a notorious fugitive.)

some....but lets not get carried away..

I have no doubt whatsoever that Thai students have the exact same POTENTIAL to excel in ANY educational pursuit as long as they can get the proper education and teachers that know how to teach and mentor. These students were one of the few that happened to have a good education, parents and teachers along the way.

Most Thais will never have these advantages.

Congratulations!

Give those fellows a good, high-paying job. I wish that I could do so. I congratulate them for their achievement.

This is the first instance, that I have seen, of Thai "culture" honoring technological innovation by Thai people. Usually, the leadership is telling everyone to go back to the cave and plant more rice.

Edited by maderaroja

Has anyone verified the statement from the Nation?

Funny how just like Thai's we believe what we are told, without checking the facts

I couldn't find much and that Video looks like it was from the Thailand Inventors Day

Funny how just like Thai's we believe what we are told, without checking the facts

I couldn't find much and that Video looks like it was from the Thailand Inventors Day

Well then you can go and check the facts, in the video they provide an address to their website: easyhomeLED.com

You know, that is a great question"thhMan". I actually thought the same thing when I read the headline, but after reading the article I just took it at face value. It was so nice and positive.

I just did a diversified search using different search criteria and couldn't find anything. I did find three or four other news websites regurgitating the same article from "The Nation". They all had a link pointing back to "The Nation". I could find no other independent publication or any website at all detailing this accomplishment or anything about this award.

Next I tried to find this "Golden Award" in Geneva and the ONLY reference I could find to a Golden Award was in the city of Montreux by Lake Geneva for awards given for an Advertising and Multi-media competition.

I also did a search on the name of one of the winners and found only references to something called "Idolbin".

Please let us know if anyone else finds any independent references.

You know, that is a great question"thhMan". I actually thought the same thing when I read the headline, but after reading the article I just took it at face value. It was so nice and positive.

I just did a diversified search using different search criteria and couldn't find anything. I did find three or four other news websites regurgitating the same article from "The Nation". They all had a link pointing back to "The Nation". I could find no other independent publication or any website at all detailing this accomplishment or anything about this award.

Next I tried to find this "Golden Award" in Geneva and the ONLY reference I could find to a Golden Award was in the city of Montreux by Lake Geneva for awards given for an Advertising and Multi-media competition.

I also did a search on the name of one of the winners and found only references to something called "Idolbin".

Please let us know if anyone else finds any independent references.

Is this it?

http://www.inventions-geneva.ch/images/pdf/E-Depliant-exposants.pdf

http://eventegg.com/inventions-geneva/

Though seems to have been held in April.

Edited by Bluespunk

Great work but is it feasible to use in the open sea to repair damaged coral???

I believe it is for coral nurseries based onshore. The grown corals are then transplanted to damaged reefs.

I think it is about repairing reefs, not corals.

more information and references need to back up your comments. wai2.gif

How about a 2 year old article?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/aafeature

This isn't the first time I've come across a "Plagiarized in Thailand" story.

"The Land of Xerox"

wai.gif