Governor under fire as rains bring Bangkok to a standstill

webfact

Now if only half of those who chose to drive their private cars, mostly one person per vehicle, in the city were to leave them at home and use public transport then, rain or not, the traffic congestion would be sorted.

All that lovely desperately needed water going to waste, what would those in the drought areas give for good downpours like that ?

Anyone who can come up with a method of efficiently moving water to where it is needed will be a national hero.

Spot on, Robby. Next time you're on the road and in a jam or at lights, have a look at the cars around you. More than 80% of them have only 1 person: the driver.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my g/f Skype is motto ; "We have a time"

Now I am starting to understand my Thai g/f motto on Skype and all LOS problems that's what she says ; " We have a time"

They are more healthy people over there ....no stresses .....wai2.gif

coffee1.gif

Quite ridiculous watching all the people sitting in their cars in the rachada area. They have only got themselves to blame with a perfectly good underground system below their feet. Me and the missus went to the gym on a motorbike naturally utilising the footpaths that, too, were devoid of pedestrians cos it is too hot for anyone to walk. Bless, the only way to cure the traffic woes is to stop the cars and as we all know that is never going to happen. Meanwhile let's all blame the governor for rain and global warming, how terrible of him!

Now if only half of those who chose to drive their private cars, mostly one person per vehicle, in the city were to leave them at home and use public transport then, rain or not, the traffic congestion would be sorted.

All that lovely desperately needed water going to waste, what would those in the drought areas give for good downpours like that ?

Anyone who can come up with a method of efficiently moving water to where it is needed will be a national hero.

And those that already rely on the way overburdened, undersized and under-invested MRT and SRT to get to work will tell you that it's already bad enough spending 60% of your 'fast' commute standing on crowded platforms, waiting for the next, late-running and overcrowded, train without a new wave of suddenly socially aware car drivers eschewing their right to drive to work all alone and jumping on the train. Forget about BMTA and their millions of multi-sized but mostly malfunctioning buses.

If the former ruler of Turkmenistan, the late President Saparmurat Atayevich Niyazov managed to build an ice palace in the desert, I am pretty sure that diverting Bangkok's floodwater to the dried out Isaan rice paddy will be a similar piece of piss. All you need is a cult of personality, thousands of your pictures plastered all over the shop, edit history and the alphabet and have your own vain and obscure ruminations published and enforced as the primary learning text in all schools....

Hold on a minute.

More people should just try to work from home. I live pretty much on top of Asoke and didn't even realise that it was flooded as I avoid going out during the day due to the heat and traffic and pollution.

When I went out for dinner on Monday night, Sukhumvit was eerily quiet - I guess because a lot of people turned around and went home instead of going to work.

Also encourage greater use of bikes as opposed to cars. I own both but put about 1 km in my car for every 20 km I do on my bikes.

Khun Governor if you like your job make sure your roads are sweep clean and the drainage system is free flowing. I see many men on the road suppose to clean. If they clean and remove harmful waste. Get workers who care about flooding and not about breaks. Streets clean and drains open no flooding!

Khun Governor if you like your job make sure your roads are sweep clean and the drainage system is free flowing. I see many men on the road suppose to clean. If they clean and remove harmful waste. Get workers who care about flooding and not about breaks. Streets clean and drains open no flooding!

I do not know where you live, me Bang Na. Every morning early on; I like to walk ouside early in the morning, the good ladies are sweeping the paths and roads.

A few weeks ago, prisoners on a day's outing were cleaning all the drains.

Too much rubbish on here!

I agree with the earlier posts about the importance of renovating and clearing the drainage infrastructure. But the posts I agreed most with, and which I consider to be the most critically important, are the posts relating to cars versus public transport. The cars model of commuting is unsustainable, and based on the sales of cars and not the use of cars, the use of cars line actually stops entirely when mapped against the urban population growth line. People are being sold a dream which does not function in waking reality. This is of course a worldwide issue, and has been discussed for fifty years. People need to be sold the idea that commuting in cars is not a badge of success, and that public transport is not a badge of failure. This is the job of government, to constantly upgrade and prioritise public transportation, and to sell the shiny new travel options to commuters, as a badge of success. Many people already see that sitting in miles of gridlock is the true badge of failure, but in many areas they feel that public transport options are either too weak, or simply non-existent. Blaming rain for miles of gridlock is just ridiculous, when the real issue is modes of transportation.

While public transport is the solution to gridlock, I'd have to emphasize the rail transportation is the only viable method in Bangkok. People who already live along the BTS or MRT lines and also work along these lines won't be found moaning in forums or social media. However, these people comprise only a small fraction of the Bangkok commuters.

To imagine that the bus system can be a viable stop-gap for people needing to liaise with the BTS/MRT is a pipe dream. Only those too poor to own a car or those with infinite time on their hands can be found on the buses.

The rapid expansion of rail lines to bangkok's suburbs is a good sign but it might be too little to provide much relief from traffic gridlock.

Prayut takes Sukhumbhand to task for flooding
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Tuesday took Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra to task for repeatedly failing to solve flooding in the capital.

Prayut said the flooding Monday occurred because of poor management because there was huge garbage in the drainage system and only one of four main water pumps could function. Prayut said he might step in to assign the BMA city clerk to be in charge of flood prevention.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-takes-Sukhumbhand-to-task-for-flooding-30261943.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-09

I would have thought that considering Bangkok has the same climate as KL that it would be smarter to seek advise from the Malaysians regarding their flood control measures than going all the way to Holland, but then again I suppose the shopping's better in Amsterdam.

I would have thought that considering Bangkok has the same climate as KL that it would be smarter to seek advise from the Malaysians regarding their flood control measures than going all the way to Holland, but then again I suppose the shopping's better in Amsterdam.

Good grass in Amsterdam, so I'm told by expert sods.

They should do what KL did with the underground flood tunnels that when not in use for that double as traffic routes easing congestion on the roads.

Impossible. KL is on average just under 22m above sea level. Bangkok is on average 1.5 m above sea level with sections at or below sea level.

KL and Bangkok have very different soil characteristics. Bangkok was a natural wetland/swamp that was built over. It has a layer of clay over water. Not the best soil for drainage properties or supporting structures without risk of subsidence.

KL had a strong base of limestone for 1/2 the city and much of the key business areas and sedimentary rock and sand in the Kenny Hills formation. Your tunnel proposal makes use of two holding ponds and they are an integral part of the flood diversion plan because the water has to be held somewhere and then slowly drained. There is nowhere to build drainage ponds in Bangkok. As well, the elevation of Bangkok would preclude the natural elevation drainage method of KL.

The people of Bangkok need to understand that they are living in a place where they do not belong. The swamp land was reclaimed centuries ago for farming use. The structures and drainage was built for farming, not high density urban living. There is no way to save Bangkok unless large portions of the city are given up to build proper drainage and protection structures. None of the land owners will ever agree to that. It's easier to blame the governor than to accept that Bangkok is several million people too large. In 50 years, as the city floods worsen maybe the people will get it. By then the BMA will hold 15-20 million people and they will have to go somewhere.

At last someone talking some sense for once instead of just posting nonsense... there is plenty of internet material on BKK being built on a swamp...

no amount of drains can sort out the problem... as sea levels rise & rainfall increases so will BKK's woes..

People living in the lower elevations had better start looking for somewhere else to live or put up with the queues everyday, at least until it becomes perpetually flooded then it will be go to work on a jet-ski time !!

Governor under fire. Best place to be ,in the warm and dry. Hey, at least he was in the Netherlands and thinking about the problem and not on a junket. Oh and why do I find Asoke a funny word when it pours with rain ? Oh and why do I find miles of traffic jams in BKK amusing ? Rhetorical. I live in the far north ,don't see a traffic jam from one year to the next. I will go now .

He wouldn't have been in the Netherlands with his cronies if he hadn't been invited by the Dutch. The Governor's re-election campaign included a promise to implement flood prevention policies. Not the first politician in the World to make promises without delivering, but then, the sheer magnitude of the water drainage problem in Bangkok will take more than a few sandbags to fix.

Governor under fire. Best place to be ,in the warm and dry. Hey, at least he was in the Netherlands and thinking about the problem and not on a junket. Oh and why do I find Asoke a funny word when it pours with rain ? Oh and why do I find miles of traffic jams in BKK amusing ? Rhetorical. I live in the far north ,don't see a traffic jam from one year to the next. I will go now .

He wouldn't have been in the Netherlands with his cronies if he hadn't been invited by the Dutch. The Governor's re-election campaign included a promise to implement flood prevention policies. Not the first politician in the World to make promises without delivering, but then, the sheer magnitude of the water drainage problem in Bangkok will take more than a few sandbags to fix.

People did not take that view when the PTP Government were in power...... It was all their fault etc etc etc.

This is utterly unacceptable and ridicules that one session of hard rain brought the capital

to a stand still for most of the day,

I was driving out bound on Rama II yesterday morning and I have witnessed the ' grandmother'

of all traffic jam on the inbound lane of the freeways, like 10 km long, solid jam, I could fee

the hopelessness and the frustrations of those derivers stuck there with no where to go, no U turn,

no nothing, just sitting there for hours....

Srinakari. Road was a nightmare this morning...

Don't know if this will work Robby but what about very powerful boats with large propellers, moor them in the flooded drains in Bangkok and start em' up and push the water all the way up to the drought stricken areas ?

I thought if it worked pushing the flood waters out to sea it may work the other way. whistling.gif

Seriously, what can the governor do if it rained almost 200 ml in some spots over Bangkok in a very short time? This is serious rainfall, it is not 20 ml, but 200. I bet that anywhere in the world with such amount of rain flash floods would occur. And I don't see how we could blame him that people own way too many cars, as Thailand government before literally encouraged people buying more cars giving them discounts. These people who say that the governor has to quit because of the heavy rainfall are nuts. It can happen to anyone in power. This kind of rainfall when it rains over 100 ml so extensively (Bangkok metropolis, Bang Na, Klong Toei and Sawarnabhumi) happens rarely, maybe once in 5 years.

Seriously, what can the governor do if it rained almost 200 ml in some spots over Bangkok in a very short time? This is serious rainfall, it is not 20 ml, but 200. I bet that anywhere in the world with such amount of rain flash floods would occur. And I don't see how we could blame him that people own way too many cars, as Thailand government before literally encouraged people buying more cars giving them discounts. These people who say that the governor has to quit because of the heavy rainfall are nuts. It can happen to anyone in power. This kind of rainfall when it rains over 100 ml so extensively (Bangkok metropolis, Bang Na, Klong Toei and Sawarnabhumi) happens rarely, maybe once in 5 years.

The Governor has no control over the weather that's true.

What he is responsible for though is that only one of four large pumps was working, the huge amount of rubbish in the drainage system and the singular failure to address the issue of illegal building on canals.

I am not quite sure what kind of idiot would own a car in Bangkok, but there seem to be millions of them. 'If you dig your own grave........................................................'

I think they all own a car because there is a shortage of buffalo's in Bangkok.

Thais always want to run before they can walk. Building mega malls. But not removing rubbish from klongs. Everything is for show. But the basics are forgotten. And the big flood is coming one day.

Another day.

They should do what KL did with the underground flood tunnels that when not in use for that double as traffic routes easing congestion on the roads.

perfect IDEA !

USE METRO tunnels as flood water tunnels when have a heavy rain !!

so city admin have to expand the metro to the open sea !

If no rain, they can use this metro channel to flood in fresh fish from the sea !

Perfect Idea z42

Great idea! Lets build tunnels under the streets of Bangkok. They would be a meter or two below sea level, and where would the water in them go to drain?

How about this is Bangkok that we are talking about, a city that is at sea level, or just above, and sinking to boot!

I do not know where KL is, or Kenny Hills, do you know where YC is? Thanks bangkokequity , for saying that the KL place is

at least 22 meters above sea level . It surely is a different situation.

I was in Bangkok during the last big flood and it was pretty devastating to everyone!

One of my relatives who lives near the old airport had a meter of water in their main floor, and could

not live in their house for three months. I had to travel out of the city to catch the bus to Hua Hin and south, as the main bus station was flooded as well.

It does not really matter who is in government as this problem as been around for years.

It may help to dredge some of the main klongs, but when a lot of them were filled in, that was when the

flooding become worse.

Fortunately last nights downpour wasn't anywhere as large as Mondays

for years the bangkok governors have been saying that they will "fix" the flooding problem, but nothing has been done. and nthing will be done this time! remember the patti page song manyana?