Long waits ahead for driver's licenses in Phuket

webfact

Long waits ahead for driver's licenses in Phuket
Matt Pond

1433840273_1-org.jpg
The queue of people applying for driver's licenses stretches out the door at the PLTO this morning.

PHUKET: -- Those wanting to get a new motorbike or car licence in Phuket will have to wait longer than than they probably expected, as a reporter at The Phuket News found out today (June 9).

After waiting since 7:30am, she was told to come back on July 28 just for her training class – a whole day spent watching training videos.

Supatra Sutham has been learning to drive for some time and was well prepared for her much-anticipated visit to the Phuket Land Transport Office Department (PLTO), where the tests are conducted.

She arrived at 7:30am with all the necessary paperwork and was expecting to spend the day completing her mandatory traffic law and road safety training. She thought she would then be able to return tomorrow (June 10) for her driving test.

Ms Supatra handed in her documentation and signed in on the daily log. It was explained to her that although the sign on the entrance stated that only 70 people per day were accepted for the training, the office actually accepts 80. She was the 71st person to sign the log today.

However, that’s when the procedure started taking unexpected turns.

The first change in procedures from those previously reported was that it was no necessary to hand over your doctor’s certificate during “the registration stage̕”. The medical permit is required only when you come in for the training – which was what Ms Supatra thought she was there for, so the doctor’s certificate was duly refused and handed back to her.

Next, everyone on the registration list was sent for an eye examination, where applicants waited until their name was called, one by one.

After Ms Supatra passed the eye test, all her paperwork was handed back to her and she was told to come back on her allocated training day. To her astonishment, on July 28.

Not only did this mean that Ms Supatra spent the morning waiting for basically nothing, but also that by the time her appointment date arrives, her doctor’s certificate will no longer be valid and she will have to pay for another one.

It was not only Ms Supatra who was annoyed with her wasted morning, one teenager, Nicom, said “I should have gone to Phang Nga to do my licence with my friends. Now I will have to wait until next month to do my licence in Phuket.”

PLTO staff told Ms Supatra that a large number of licence applicants arrive each day and that all applicants are given a later training date. Those applying now will have to wait until the end of July to do their training.

“If you come in early and sign the daily log it doesn’t mean you will train on that day. It is impossible. You have to come in and register first then we schedule you for the training session,” said one member of staff who asked to remain anonymous.

The Phuket News contacted both the Bangkok and Cha-am LTOs, who advised us that those new drivers who are registering now are likely to sit their training and do their test at the end of June or early July.

However, it is not only those wanting new licences who will are facing a wait, one woman who had visited the PLTO office today to renew her licence was told that she will have to return on June 11.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/long-waits-ahead-for-driver-licenses-in-phuket-52690.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-09

Thank God I renewed my five year license this year already.

I renewed mine a few weeks ago. Took a few hours for registration, tests and video.

And yes, the wait for the temporary license practical part was about 1 month. Very helpful people at the DLT BTW.

Edited by stevenl

I was there at 08:30 am and out at 10:00 am with my new license.

This was before they made the test more complicated.

5 year renewal takes longer because you have to watch the video.

Not when I did it. Just did the reaction test and that was it.

Only watched the video when going from 1 year to 5 year.

Most of the time was spent waiting for reaction test and waiting for the photo.

This is for a motorcycle license. Can't drive a car.

Edited by KarenBravo

Not when I did it. Just did the reaction test and that was it.

Only watched the video when going from 1 year to 5 year.

Most of the time was spent waiting for reaction test and waiting for the photo.

This is for a motorcycle license. Can't drive a car.

You were lucky.

The usual stuff.........

the right hand doesn't know what the left does........

No! Not correct. Renewed my dl 2 month ago. It was smooth and easy. They offer a good and friendly service and have to handle 1000s of people each month.

So in detail, how is the new standard procedure to renew a 5 year license and how long before it expire can or shall it be renewed.

I renewed recently, procedure was exactly as outlined in another thread on this forum: regsitration before 09.00 hours, I did 2 tests: depth perception and colour recognition, wait a bit, watch video, after 1 hour back down again for photo. I was back in Kata around noon.

In Bangkok I recently renewed my license and it took a morning, that was for a full 5 year license

Do you really think that getting a driving license increases the quality of driving?

I guess this question was in response to my post.

I have no reason to think that, even if you've decided it's what I was alluding to.

My statement was more about the self defeating nature of the Thai way of doing things.

Renewed my driving licence 2 weeks ago at Phitsanulok, from 1 yr to a 5 yr . Never had to sit thru any videos, just the vision and reaction tests, only headache was getting the residency cert from Immigration as they wanted an official request for this from the LTO.

Took a few hours and 615 baht but all finished by the afternoon and the good thing for me is that my new licence is actually valid for 5 years and 11 months (expires April 2021). Apparently the LTO now issues licences to begin/expire on your birthdate rather than the original issuance date