anyone else having 3BB disconnections all day today

smedly

and as sods law would have it, just after I posted the above all modems lost their dsl connection for about 30 mins

If they all lost it, then you can't blame your modems and its a outside problem.

With the cheaper modems this happened a lot to me.. mostly overheating and stuff.

yes mate I am fully aware of that, I am trying to get a feel for whether it is a street - city - regional or national issue, as not many are reporting the issue on here then I have to assume it is very localised

Recently I had an outage because they were trimming the trees outside the village.. and took down a complete pole by accident. Even the best modem in the world could not have helped me.

and as sods law would have it, just after I posted the above all modems lost their dsl connection for about 30 mins

If they all lost it, then you can't blame your modems and its a outside problem.

With the cheaper modems this happened a lot to me.. mostly overheating and stuff.

yes mate I am fully aware of that, I am trying to get a feel for whether it is a street - city - regional or national issue, as not many are reporting the issue on here then I have to assume it is very localised

Recently I had an outage because they were trimming the trees outside the village.. and took down a complete pole by accident. Even the best modem in the world could not have helped me.

With a new router at least it would be easier to configure and manage.

How much would a decent router cost in Pattaya? The router supplied by 3BB is ADSL 2+

That depends on what you want to have, but if you want a lot better you pay more. But it really depends on your use.

Also switching a router can be a bit of a problem for people that are not used to it. You will have to set it up and get your passwords and such. I would not advise it unless you have someone to help you.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/adsl-networking/asus/

I got the most expensive one, it was even more expensive before. But I demand a lot from my network. The cheaper version would be good too but not the cheapest. (if your not that demanding go for the middle one should be good enough)

But this is just my opinion here and really depends on your use and the kind of trouble you have with your previous one.

In my case I had loads of overheating problems and had to reset the router quite often. That totally changed after a new router and download speeds and stability went up. Plus tons of extra options on the new router.

With a new router at least it would be easier to configure and manage.

I am not in my router a lot because it works good, but I do like that I can hook up an USB drive to it and a printer and share it on my network. I can also download newsgroups on it at night and stuff and see they have now built in option that you can have it work from an usb dongle with 4g as a backup.

So yes the options are more as with the cheaper ones but in reality it just works good so I don't have to go in often.

How much would a decent router cost in Pattaya? The router supplied by 3BB is ADSL 2+

I bought a gigabit Zyxel NBG4615 for under 2500B from JIB in Tukcom, but it is only a router not a modem/router. So I use that with the 3BB router in bridge mode (ie just the modem part functioning). For me the 3BB modem works OK and it was OK as a router as long as only one or two devices were connected to it. However it wasn't fast enough to handle many connected devices, NAS drives etc., and I particularly needed the gigabit functionality for local data transfers. I did use it in conjunction with a very cheap gigabit switch prior to getting the Zyxel, and that setup worked OK too.

I also bought a TP-Link gigabit modem/router in the UK for just over GBP30 which I have as a spare.

If you only have one or two devices on your router and no real requirement for gigabit connections (this covers most domestic users) then the 4-port 3BB one is probably as good as any. The modem part certainly works well for me.

Not sure that your problem is actually down to the router part of your set up though.

I bought a gigabit Zyxel NBG4615 for under 2500B from JIB in Tukcom, but it is only a router not a modem/router. So I use that with the 3BB router in bridge mode (ie just the modem part functioning). For me the 3BB modem works OK and it was OK as a router as long as only one or two devices were connected to it. However it wasn't fast enough to handle many connected devices, NAS drives etc., and I particularly needed the gigabit functionality for local data transfers. I did use it in conjunction with a very cheap gigabit switch prior to getting the Zyxel, and that setup worked OK too.

I also bought a TP-Link gigabit modem/router in the UK for just over GBP30 which I have as a spare.

If you only have one or two devices on your router and no real requirement for gigabit connections (this covers most domestic users) then the 4-port 3BB one is probably as good as any. The modem part certainly works well for me.

Not sure that your problem is actually down to the router part of your set up though.

Yes it depends on the use. I got a NAS drive 3 computers a few phones and tablets connected to it.

So depending on how much you use it and how much your willing to spend and your situation you can buy anything. I personally go for more expensive things as I use the computer a lot. If I had a shortage of money or not use it as much id go cheaper. But I never safe on things that i use for business (internet is also used for business).

.... they have now built in option that you can have it work from an usb dongle with 4g as a backup.

My TP-Link modem/router does this. It seems like quite a handy function for those who have a dodgy DSL line but who are well covered by 3G/4G.

.... they have now built in option that you can have it work from an usb dongle with 4g as a backup.

My TP-Link modem/router does this. It seems like quite a handy function for those who have a dodgy DSL line but who are well covered by 3G/4G.

Only if you got a good plan for your 3g/4g. I would see it more as a backup just in case. Now I just use my phone for times like that and set it up as a mobile hotspot. Truth be told, I seldom have problems (not since i dumped the el cheapo modem/router from 3bb) so getting an extra usb dongle would probably not my first choice.

People are saying they were working on the servers in Bangkok. Let's hope it makes a difference.

exactly, so folks - don't be going out and buying expensive equipment when you have absolutely no need for it in a domestic environment

People are saying they were working on the servers in Bangkok. Let's hope it makes a difference.

without actually calling them I had an idea it was something like this going on, it might be a good idea for them to post on their website that they are doing some maintenance and some outages are possible but TIT

I had a rare 8 hour stoppage the night before last which is rare. THe line was connected and responding completely correctly but no dns. I have a strong suspicion they were implimenting new monitoring and access controls as some sites seem harder to access.

Have had a problem here in the north east (Loei) for over a week now. First off, started with very slow speed and then last Wednesday went off for over five hours, contacted call centre and they rebooted and had service within 30 minutes. Later the same night it went of again for over two hours but after a reboot it came back

They also sent a technician out two days later, checked everything, which he found to be running ok and told me that they were carrying out upgrades and that may have been the problem. So far so good since Friday.

It will, most likely, be impossible for you to generalize where the problem is nor will you be able to get 3BB to clear it up as it's an intermittent problem, but you should try until 3BB refuses to help anymore.

The plain fact is if it is a total disconnect 3BB can and will find the problem. That kind of problem is simple to find. Hell, I could find the problem with two pieces of simple test equipment. I did this kind of stuff at one time for a living. 3BB actually has more sophisticated test equipment, but the problem is they rely on them too heavily. Many of them have zero critical thinking skills to find and fix the most difficult problems and once it's in their head as to what a meter is telling them they won't change their minds. Given an intermittent problem 3BB is, IMO, usually incapable of dealing with it unless it is affecting more than one customer then they have much greater incentive to find the problem.

We have had a problem for over a year which I know is between the box in front of our house and the street (the connection at the front of the Moo Baan). We are in a small Moo Baan and 3BB refuses to fix problems if they deem them to be inside the Moo Baan. Our problem has now settled into a fairly consistent pattern. From late at night until around mid-morning to noon the internet is mostly good here at our home. But from around noon until later at night the internet is either slow to respond or it needs the modem rebooted to get anything at all or it's just on or off, up or down. When it is rebooted it is only good for about 30 second at it's worst and then it becomes impossible again so I have to reboot it again. BTW, the problem is not the modem or our Wi-Fi router as they have both been replaced temporarily and the problem persisted. This is also not indicative of a slow down because the line is being shared. This is a technical issue somewhere along the line.

I've had 3BB out many times...they have no clue, they don't believe me as to the problem because they are incapable of finding the problem. They said it was the line from the box in front of my home to inside my home so they put in a temporary line (twice) and that second line has been there now for over 4 months and the problem still exists. They can't admit being wrong and they won't believe a customer has the ability to reason through a problem like this as well or better than them.

Near enough the exact reasons I dropped 3BB, they even resorted to telling me it was my PC, Ipad and Phone were all defective. Very very shoddy customer service.

It will, most likely, be impossible for you to generalize where the problem is nor will you be able to get 3BB to clear it up as it's an intermittent problem, but you should try until 3BB refuses to help anymore.

The plain fact is if it is a total disconnect 3BB can and will find the problem. That kind of problem is simple to find. Hell, I could find the problem with two pieces of simple test equipment. I did this kind of stuff at one time for a living. 3BB actually has more sophisticated test equipment, but the problem is they rely on them too heavily. Many of them have zero critical thinking skills to find and fix the most difficult problems and once it's in their head as to what a meter is telling them they won't change their minds. Given an intermittent problem 3BB is, IMO, usually incapable of dealing with it unless it is affecting more than one customer then they have much greater incentive to find the problem.

We have had a problem for over a year which I know is between the box in front of our house and the street (the connection at the front of the Moo Baan). We are in a small Moo Baan and 3BB refuses to fix problems if they deem them to be inside the Moo Baan. Our problem has now settled into a fairly consistent pattern. From late at night until around mid-morning to noon the internet is mostly good here at our home. But from around noon until later at night the internet is either slow to respond or it needs the modem rebooted to get anything at all or it's just on or off, up or down. When it is rebooted it is only good for about 30 second at it's worst and then it becomes impossible again so I have to reboot it again. BTW, the problem is not the modem or our Wi-Fi router as they have both been replaced temporarily and the problem persisted. This is also not indicative of a slow down because the line is being shared. This is a technical issue somewhere along the line.

I've had 3BB out many times...they have no clue, they don't believe me as to the problem because they are incapable of finding the problem. They said it was the line from the box in front of my home to inside my home so they put in a temporary line (twice) and that second line has been there now for over 4 months and the problem still exists. They can't admit being wrong and they won't believe a customer has the ability to reason through a problem like this as well or better than them.

... and if all else fails (3BB), they will point you to the fine print on your contract explaining how speed is not guaranteed as the line is shared between many. I had 3BB premium for many years, and it's great if everything is ticking along fine, but customer service is woeful.

exactly, so folks - don't be going out and buying expensive equipment when you have absolutely no need for it in a domestic environment

There is however quite a difference between wifi router performance though and paying more can often be beneficial if you live in a multi-level home with concrete floors. (that Apple Airport time-capsule does look nicesmile.png ).... however, my TP Link router is as good signal wise.

The new TP Link routers never get hot and never fail. I think most new modems/routers run cool these days unlike the ovens of a few years back.

There is however quite a difference between wifi router performance though and paying more can often be beneficial if you live in a multi-level home with concrete floors. (that Apple Airport time-capsule does look nicesmile.png ).... however, my TP Link router is as good signal wise.
Yes I think the wireless component is the big difference, as said DSL is standard across the board but if you got the older router you might not even have N Wi-Fi. Also the tp link antennas are quite good. I swapped out my old Linksys for a tp recently, noticeable improvement.

Funny story about 3bb. I got my DSL reconnected recently after being away. Engineer comes round says straight off "oh your line in condo no good need new 1500 baht pls" I said well how do you know, you didn't test to my room. Course, they just "knew" so I got a girl to explain that I used to do this stuff myself so maybe they should just get out their metre and show me this test. And miracle! It was fixed ? I gave them 200 baht for the entertainment.

Down at VT2a for last 30 hours,<deleted>. Anyone in that building still have their 3B running?

I am tolerable here at VT5. I would just turn everything off for one minute and the turn the router on and then the computer.

Down at VT2a for last 30 hours,<deleted>. Anyone in that building still have their 3B running?

All DSL lines in that building are entirely independent of each other. You should contact 3BB who would normally be quick to respond.

I know some people in that building with 3BB DSL and none of them have any particular problem at the moment.

Archived