Third tourist visa, got a remark in my passport

I got a third tourist visa from Vientiane recently and got the stamp (not in red):

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in a refusal of a visa in the future."

I understand they're concerned about people working on tourist visas and whatnot, which is not the case, but even with savings in the bank I imagine it's unlikely they'd grant me a further tourist visa. (Elite visa is a bit too expensive and I'm not sure where I'll be in a few years.)

Just wondering if this would affect me applying for an ED Visa at all?

Anyone have any experience with this?

They didn't do another stamp telling you that you will need financial proof and proof of residence to get another visa?

It would have no effect on you getting an ED visa at all.

You could also get another tourist visa somewhere else to break the chain of back to back visas from there.

• Like 1

They didn't do another stamp telling you that you will need financial proof and proof of residence to get another visa?

It would have no effect on you getting an ED visa at all.

You could also get another tourist visa somewhere else to break the chain of back to back visas from there.

No other proof stamp no, noticed when Googling that it usually accompanied the initial remark but just got the first part.

Cheers, should I avoid Vientiane when applying for an ED Visa or should it be OK? I read other embassies are a bit hit and miss granting Ed Visas sometimes.

Edited by mynameisphil

Just for the record

So there is a limit to the number of Tourist Visa one can get in the same place. (contrary to what has been said for months here), and this has nothing to do with suspicion of working illegally here.

Here is one among many

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644242-double-entry-tourist-visa-whats-the-limit/

Posted 2013-06-05 04:19:15

There is no published numerical limit. The published information says that when a consulate suspects that you may not be using a tourist visa for its designed purpose, ie for tourism, they can reject your application. In other words, it is at the discretion of every consulate.

Here is one among many

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644242-double-entry-tourist-visa-whats-the-limit/

Posted 2013-06-05 04:19:15

There is no published numerical limit. The published information says that when a consulate suspects that you may not be using a tourist visa for its designed purpose, ie for tourism, they can reject your application. In other words, it is at the discretion of every consulate.

You had go back 2 years to find that post.

I do not see how it supports your earlier post.

It is a well known fact that some nearby embassies and consulates do have a limit on back to back visas from them.

• Like 1

Here is one from you dated 2015

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788273-is-there-any-limit-on-back-to-back-tourist-visas/

Posted 2015-02-26 06:52:17

There is no limit on how many tourist visas you can get. Some embassies and consulates set there own limit on how many you can get from them. For example Vientiane count the ones you get back to back from them and have a limit of 3 but with financial and address proof you can get more.

Just for the record

So there is a limit to the number of Tourist Visa one can get in the same place. (contrary to what has been said for months here), and this has nothing to do with suspicion of working illegally here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788273-is-there-any-limit-on-back-to-back-tourist-visas/

There is no limit on how many tourist visas you can get. Some embassies and consulates set there own limit on how many you can get from them. For example Vientiane count the ones you get back to back from them and have a limit of 3 but with financial and address proof you can get more.

Compare your post and the one you quoted.

When I said there was no limit it meant overall from various locations which is obvious.

End of discussion for ,me.

Just for the record

When I said there was no limit it meant overall from various locations which is obvious.

you said that " but with financial and address proof you can get more."

The OP shows you it's not true

Some of you guys would make great lawyers, trying to get off on every technicality. Perhaps in hindsight UbonJoe could have said '....but with financial and address proof, you can possibly get more' and it would be more clear. But he has also said that each consulate can create their own limits as to how many visas in a particular category they will issue, or limit if they will issue them at all.

Plus the recent crackdowns on visa exempts and back-to-back tourist visas over the last 3 years or so has made it clear that multiple visa exempts and multiple tourist visas back to back, especially if it appears that the person is living/working illegally, are being frowned upon by immigration.

Look at the bright side. At least they issued the visa with a note. If they had denied the visa with a red stamp, then the title of the thread would likely be 'red stamp at Vientiane' and it would quickly become some 20 page thread ranting on how thailand doesn't want your money anymore. There may have been a time where some consulates issued 'unlimited' tourist visas back-to-back. Or you could get unlimited visa exempt entries. Those days have passed. It might return in the future, but who knows.

It would be nice if the OP could scan the stamp and words written by immigration. Also some more context: what dates did you get all 3 tourist visas issued?

Three back to back tourist visas, looking for more and inquiring about an ED visa now???

It makes one woder what the OP's real reason for being in Thailand is.

If it is education, why so many of the back to back tourist visas?

Obtainng visas has become more and more difficult due to people abusing the system ( especially the ED visa recdently ).

Just sayning.....coffee1.gif

Some of you guys would make great lawyers, trying to get off on every technicality. Perhaps in hindsight UbonJoe could have said '....but with financial and address proof, you can possibly get more' and it would be more clear. But he has also said that each consulate can create their own limits as to how many visas in a particular category they will issue, or limit if they will issue them at all.

Plus the recent crackdowns on visa exempts and back-to-back tourist visas over the last 3 years or so has made it clear that multiple visa exempts and multiple tourist visas back to back, especially if it appears that the person is living/working illegally, are being frowned upon by immigration.

Look at the bright side. At least they issued the visa with a note. If they had denied the visa with a red stamp, then the title of the thread would likely be 'red stamp at Vientiane' and it would quickly become some 20 page thread ranting on how thailand doesn't want your money anymore. There may have been a time where some consulates issued 'unlimited' tourist visas back-to-back. Or you could get unlimited visa exempt entries. Those days have passed. It might return in the future, but who knows.

It would be nice if the OP could scan the stamp and words written by immigration. Also some more context: what dates did you get all 3 tourist visas issued?

I'm all for bright side and I don't deny Ubon Joe is doing a great job on this forum, but am I the only one to see the elephant in the room?

Elite visa was not created so we can just ignore it and continue easily to get tourist visa,or use ED visa, both far cheaper options.

This so called "crackdown" to get rid of people working illegally here, is a total myth. Recently that guy who went to Vientiane after his passport got the "red note", following Thai Visa's advice he brought proof of outside income. Presented with proof that the person is receiving money from abroad, immigration still refuses to grant the visa. And now the OP has a new "note" basically saying "3 is enough"; they don't care if you have outside income, they just want to make it difficult for you, so you opt for other options.

The truth is that if both ED visas and tourist Visas were as easy to get as they used to be, there would be even less candidates ready to part with 500K to stay here . So please don't insult my intelligence and tell me this is all in the name of busting illegal workers out of Thailand.

I'm all for bright side and I don't deny Ubon Joe is doing a great job on this forum, but am I the only one to see the elephant in the room?

Elite visa was not created so we can just ignore it and continue easily to get tourist visa,or use ED visa, both far cheaper options.

This so called "crackdown" to get rid of people working illegally here, is a total myth. Recently that guy who went to Vientiane after his passport got the "red note", following Thai Visa's advice he brought proof of outside income. Presented with proof that the person is receiving money from abroad, immigration still refuses to grant the visa. And now the OP has a new "note" basically saying "3 is enough"; they don't care if you have outside income, they just want to make it difficult for you, so you opt for other options.

The truth is that if both ED visas and tourist Visas were as easy to get as they used to be, there would be even less candidates ready to part with 500K to stay here . So please don't insult my intelligence and tell me this is all in the name of busting illegal workers out of Thailand.

I don't really see it, no.

The advice issued on this forum for years has been that you can obtain up to 3 consecutive tourist visas from Vientiane without providing proof of income/residency. After that you will be asked for those things and you may or may not be able to get additional tourist visas at Vientiane. The advice issued on this forum has typically been that after 2-3 back-to-back, you should go to another consulate instead.

I don't see how any of that has changed.

I don't know the specifics of the guy you describe who got denied but I always got the impression that it wasn't a great idea to go to Vientiane for a fourth back-to-back no matter what documentation you had. There were documented cases of people showing a Thai bank book with foreign income and getting the visa. There were anecdotal statements that an online bank statement could work. I'm not sure exactly what documents they want to see for proof of residence either.

The smart farang at this point reads the above and doesn't go for more than 2-3 tourist visas back-to-back at Vientiane. Which again has not changed.

I also think it's pointless to speculate about the general direction of Thai visa policy in the next let's say 18 months. Political winds change.

• Like 1

I agree that they are pushing people to get the correct category visa for their intended purpose of staying. Too many people were abusing the visa exempt / tourist visa for YEARS to the point that they assumed it was an automatic entitlement. Most people with a valid long-stay purpose qualify for a non-immigrant visa category that covers that purpose, or the TE visa for those that desire a long stay with style and convenience and can afford it.

"I currently/used to spend lots of money and you should just let me stay here" is not a valid long-stay reason from immigration's point of view.

You can still get a multiple ED visa from your home country in some cases, not sure about any regional Thai consulates.

Edited by 4evermaat

I also think it's pointless to speculate about the general direction of Thai visa policy in the next let's say 18 months. Political winds change.

Well I disagree.

In my opinion, Thai Visa policy has been aimed at one thing only for the last 5 years, regardless of the political regime, and that is getting better so-called "quality tourists"" which for Thailand means money.

At first, they were criticized and called greedy when they used the term "quality tourist" so now they are changing their communication and pretend they try to crackdown on illegal workers. The truth is that every time, there is a choice between honesty (bringing proof of foreign incomes) and money (making TR /ED visa more difficult so Elite Visa becomes an option), immigration has showed they always preferred cash.

And I bet that's not going to change in the next 18 months.