Honda CBR 650f

kannot

I have a bunch of dog puppies I take care off - cannot let them with Thais. so I have one more excuse, with the wet Monsun weather, why I still have not bought a bike.

Still undecided, I look for all kind of second-hand bikes in facebook and Internet and think of the Honda CB650F

and the Ducati Monster 821.

If there would not be such a big price gap, I would go for the Thai-Italian. On the other hand - my Test rides had shown,

the Honda is also enough for my needs. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you're enjoying the bike. I Bought mine last weekend and have just put 260km on the clock. I'm going for the hard break-in though. I've taken it up to 10/11k through 1-4 gears, haven't managed to get near that in 5th or 6th though.

You're right the turnng cicle isn't great however I can live with that, this bike loves to be riden fast, I think it pulls pretty well on anything over 3000 rpm to be honest.

I'm loving mine so far.

You've done an oil change already?

I did an oil change at 200km (but not filter) to get any muck out of the engine but to be honest it looked pretty clean to me, I dont believe the hard break in theory but I do vary the speed a lot.

At 1000km Ill change oil and filter

What colour did you get?

When I say hard break in I guess it's more semi hard, I've just been making sure I use full rev range and the occasional couple of fast starts. For the first 200 km I was pretty gentle and kept it under 5000 revs but read all kinds of contradicting info on the matter.. I evdentually resorted to the owners manual which makes no mention of keeping within certain rev ranges and more or less says no hard acceleration and no heavy engine braking.

I used to change oil in may cars very regularly (500 miles) so I'll make an early change now replacing with 10w30 mineral as it won't do any harm.

This is my first bike so trial and error for me at this stage ;)

I went for the matte black, how about yourself?

Alfredo, you can buy a new CBR for less than a used Ducati, new bike, less problems ;)

When I say hard break in I guess it's more semi hard, I've just been making sure I use full rev range and the occasional couple of fast starts. For the first 200 km I was pretty gentle and kept it under 5000 revs but read all kinds of contradicting info on the matter.. I evdentually resorted to the owners manual which makes no mention of keeping within certain rev ranges and more or less says no hard acceleration and no heavy engine braking.

I used to change oil in may cars very regularly (500 miles) so I'll make an early change now replacing with 10w30 mineral as it won't do any harm.

This is my first bike so trial and error for me at this stage wink.png

Alfredo, you can buy a new CBR for less than a used Ducati, new bike, less problems wink.png

Looks good, I was torn on which colour to purchase btu went with black. I also bought the seat cowel, looks much better and well worth the 3000 Baht.

How long have you been waiting on your number plate for?

Edited by iBike

Alfredo, you can buy a new CBR for less than a used Ducati, new bike, less problems wink.png

great bike. best value bike in Thailand.

but if one can live with the looks!

I wonder who will go first? Honda designers or managers/directors that assigned these guys and approved their design?

cb650f looks better somehow!

great bike. best value bike in Thailand.

but if one can live with the looks!

I wonder who will go first? Honda designers or managers/directors that assigned these guys and approved their design?

cb650f looks better somehow!

Yeah, great value machine.

I must question the brand of eyewear you use though? I don't know many people that think it's an ugly bike. Ting Tong! blink.png

You right,

but I would only buy a new Ducati Monster 821, not one of previous Monster models second hand.

On the other hand,

I would buy a second hand Honda CB 650 F with small miles and some goodies, - louder exhaust ect. already fitted on, for a good price. thumbsup.gif

You right,

but I would only buy a new Ducati Monster 821, not one of previous Monster models second hand.

On the other hand,

I would buy a second hand Honda CB 650 F with small miles and some goodies, - louder exhaust ect. already fitted on, for a good price. thumbsup.gif

You still haven't bought a bike? How many months has this process being going on already? After tons of comments, feedback, advice, recommendations, and test rides you have identified the 1 or 2 bikes you want to buy. When will this drama end? You open your wallet, you buy one, you ride it, hopefully you don't crash, end of story.

you have identified the 1 or 2 bikes you want to buy. When will this drama end? You open your wallet, you buy one, you ride it, hopefully you don't crash, end of story.

You right, thumbsup.gif

Soon, this week? It will end! tongue.png

BUT the price difference between these 2 bikes on one hand is big

and the performance difference on the other hand, is small.

Surely, a Honda is no Ducati, there is also reputation - appearance factor

and the different sound to think off. wink.png

Also, since nearly one month, I wait for an answer of a thaivisa member who just then,

advertised a nearly new Honda CB650F on thaivisa, but was for long not online,

was now once and did not read my PM regarding the bike. bah.gifblink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Zzzz..zzz...z .

Oh sorry fell asleep

I should have known from some of your previous postings,

that you are no nice guyblink.png , now, I know it for sure.

But I have to be lenient as you 100+ years old. Regarding to your Thai visa profile.

=Born 1. Jan. 1915=

On your future motorbike trips, I wish you Piston seizure and chain crack-tear and a lot of flat tires. tongue.png

Zzzz..zzz...z .

Oh sorry fell asleep

I should have known from some of your previous postings,

that you are no nice guyblink.png , now, I know it for sure.

But I have to be lenient as you 100+ years old. Regarding to your Thai visa profile.

=Born 1. Jan. 1915=

On your future motorbike trips, I wish you Piston seizure and chain crack-tear and a lot of flat tires. tongue.png

Haha, Don't hold back Alfredo

Just changed the Oil again at 1000km and that will do for another few thousand, Ill go over the nuts and bolts to check all are ok, tickover is ok and thats it for the first service, throwing in Hondas synthetic now, this old oil was pretty grubby compared to the first oil change I did at 200km

I got the Honda workshop manual servicing is pretty easy really, only pain is all the bodywork removal.

See how it goes on the synthetic, probably wont notice anything at all

Looks good, I was torn on which colour to purchase btu went with black. I also bought the seat cowel, looks much better and well worth the 3000 Baht.

How long have you been waiting on your number plate for?

Number took about 4 weeks Its on it now in the last pics

Thanks for the photos Kannot, I've had my CB650F about five months now and I like most everything about it. It took me about four weeks also to get my plates and green book from Pattaya Big Wing. I only had 500 kilometers on it when I made a 1,200 kilometer RT trip to Sihanoukville so I waited until I had 1,700 km for my first oil change, I little too much but I wanted Big Wing to service it instead of the Honda dealer in Sihanoukville.

Just changed the Oil again at 1000km and that will do for another few thousand, Ill go over the nuts and bolts to check all are ok, tickover is ok and thats it for the first service, throwing in Hondas synthetic now, this old oil was pretty grubby compared to the first oil change I did at 200km

I got the Honda workshop manual servicing is pretty easy really, only pain is all the bodywork removal.

all i know, honda voids the warranty is services are not made at Honda bigwing and issued to the book and signed by honda mechs.

all i know, honda voids the warranty is services are not made at Honda bigwing and issued to the book and signed by honda mechs.

owners manual that comes with the bike says you can do somethings yourself and then goes on to say if you are competent, something like that anyway.

Id rather do it myself, Ive stripped and rebuilt bikes before, warranty is only one year anyway.

Honda would have to prove my work was at fault, I used Honda oil and filter

Also nearest bigwing is 240km away so hardly practical

Edited by kannot

warranty is only one year anyway.

As far as I know. Honda warranty for CB650F is same as the Ducati warranty, 2 years.

Just bought a second-hand CB650F in Bangkok and arrived today a bit wet, wink.png near Sawang Den Ding Sakhon Nakhon.

11986500_938764046161888_490880659952445

Edited by ALFREDO

As far as I know. Honda warranty for CB650F is same as the Ducati warranty, 2 years.

Just bought a second-hand CB650F in Bangkok and arrived today a bit wet, wink.png near Sawang Den Ding Sakhon Nakhon.

Amen. The saga ends. Ride it in good health and keep the ribber side down.

My service book says 1 year Thailand made, 2 years grey import thru BIGWING

Everyone I know that has one is selling it. I think it looks good but that's all. Lots of used ones for sale online.

Have you ridden one? I have one and it is NOT FOR SALE. Great bike. Handles brilliantly and has saved me from a lot of agressive, dangerous Thai driving.

I agree very easy to ride , pulls off at tick-over, perfect for Thailand, Im up to 860km now and will start to go over 6k a bit, then another oil and filter change to synthetic and thats it, Im not going to bother taking it to a dealer even if it voids warranty Im quite happy to service it myself and at least that way I know whats what unless I get a major electrical problem ( yes I know about the starter relay)

I bought the oil and 2 filters from Big wing BK and kept all receipts just incase.

At my 6k service my non synthetic was like tar. I have used synthetic since then and runs fine. Just about to hit 10k and it still runs perfectly even as I bunny hop the klongs at 160 ?

Whats that about the starter relay?

Everyone I know that has one is selling it. I think it looks good but that's all. Lots of used ones for sale online.

Have you ridden one? I have one and it is NOT FOR SALE. Great bike. Handles brilliantly and has saved me from a lot of agressive, dangerous Thai driving.

I agree very easy to ride , pulls off at tick-over, perfect for Thailand, Im up to 860km now and will start to go over 6k a bit, then another oil and filter change to synthetic and thats it, Im not going to bother taking it to a dealer even if it voids warranty Im quite happy to service it myself and at least that way I know whats what unless I get a major electrical problem ( yes I know about the starter relay)

I bought the oil and 2 filters from Big wing BK and kept all receipts just incase.

At my 6k service my non synthetic was like tar. I have used synthetic since then and runs fine. Just about to hit 10k and it still runs perfectly even as I bunny hop the klongs at 160 ?

My vin number is not affected, the bikes only 2 months old, made this year

I changed the normal oil at 200km and again at 1000km, now using Hondas own brand synthetic, so its had 3 oil changes in 1000km.

The "6k" in my post was referring to the rev counter

• 3 months later...

I changed the normal oil at 200km and again at 1000km, now using Hondas own brand synthetic, so its had 3 oil changes in 1000km.

The "6k" in my post was referring to the rev counter

Took the bike to Bigwing Honda Hua Hin and they did the 1000km service at 2500km, told them id changed the oil twice with photo proof and bill for oil filter and synthetic oil, they stamped the service book just noting i'd changed the oil, they also fixed the buzzing form the instrument cluster a common fault and checked the part which was a recall issue but as stated before my model wasnt affected as serial number too high.

No other faults but I ldo find Thai roads verrrrrrrrrrrry slippery even when dry the back wheel spins very easily even in 2nd-3rd gear, under full acceleration, guess their highly pollsihed tarmac isnt so grippy.

Does my bum look big in this!!

Have had one since around the beginning of the year. Haven't driven it that much in the last few months because of the heat, but love the bike. Can't think of another bike that I would rather have except an R1 or any Augusta 3 or 4 cylinder sport bike. But none of those make much sense unless your a serious track guy.

I'm thinking about buying bike (something between 400 to 750 cc, my last one back home was a HONDA 750 CB) but when I get into my car and turn on the air cond, I'm thinking will I enjoy being on a bike in such a heat ? I'm in Bangkok, what do you guys think ?

Have had one since around the beginning of the year. Haven't driven it that much in the last few months because of the heat, but love the bike. Can't think of another bike that I would rather have except an R1 or any Augusta 3 or 4 cylinder sport bike. But none of those make much sense unless your a serious track guy.

I'm thinking about buying bike (something between 400 to 750 cc, my last one back home was a HONDA 750 CB) but when I get into my car and turn on the air cond, I'm thinking will I enjoy being on a bike in such a heat ? I'm in Bangkok, what do you guys think ?

In Bangkok I wouldnt buy one except to run to the shops and back ( and that would be a scooter) it is too hot for me I like emptyish roads and a good speed, the 650 has enough power for Thailand accelerating hard sends the wheel spinning and thats only with about 86hp I suppose its the equivalent of a Suzuki gsx750es I had in 1984 but faster and same HP figures

Edited by kannot

• 1 year later...