Someones used my Atm card

I had my Kasikorn card skimmed for approximately USD$2000. I didn't notice it at first as I hadn't lost my card and wasn't looking at the balance at the time, but when I thought something was wrong I went through the transaction history carefully. First they took 1000baht, then 2000baht, 5000baht then 10000baht onwards. It's like they were chancing but didn't know the bank balance. It all went from the same ATM outside of a nearby shop (not a bank), and it wasn't the pattern at all of my own ATM behaviour.

After a long long effort with the bank they said they couldn't produce video evidence, but if I went to the police then they could. They also said that if it showed no wrong doing then I would be charged by the police for wasting their time... I decided to drop the case and empty the account to another bank. That sounds like a weak hand I know, but anyone who has had dealings with the police will know that every move costs more money, so decided to cap it and move on.

I use electronic baking, and only keep enough in the card to cover a few days worth of shopping. Transferring from another account is not a problem, and it can't be accessed by others.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Bangkok Bank debit card to charge a ticket on Green Bus in Chiang Mai. When I gave the card to the person who booked my ticket, she left and went into an office saying she would make the charge on another computer. She came back saying the card was not accepted so I paid in cash and thought nothing of it until I looked online and saw a charge for the ticket. I went to my local Bangkok Bank and had copies of the bus ticket that showed I paid in cash. After a few back and fourths with the bank, I was refunded the money but it took several weeks and probably was not worth my time however it pisses me off to get scammed. Now I only pay cash for bus tickets to avoid a repeat experience.

Someone found your card and swiped it for purchase small items to 2k where no one is interested in security as they will be paid. Just call the bank with Thai speaker handy and cancel. Youve done well just to lose 2k.

This post isnt worth 2000 baht. You worry about that??

I would rich guy.............rolleyes.gif

Wow .. I have seen some rediculous posts on Thai Visa, but Sead, congratulations, you are in first place .. and with only half a year to go .. stand a good chance of being on top of the Mount Redickisless at year end.

Tip, meet Iceberg, iceberg ... meet tip.

Didnt know so little words would make me climb on your famous toplist. Im happy you vented or you wouldnt sleep good tonight

Wow .. I have seen some rediculous posts on Thai Visa, but Sead, congratulations, you are in first place .. and with only half a year to go .. stand a good chance of being on top of the Mount Redickisless at year end.

Didnt know so little words would make me climb on your famous toplist. Im happy you vented or you wouldnt sleep good tonight

555 .. OMG, it is not bad enough ... most people would look at that original post and think "Do not drink and type" .. but not you!

Bravo ...

"So little words?" How many words does it take to make a point?

The reason i am being this way is, Thai Visa can sometimes fill its mission as a meeting place for Expats to solve problems and ask advice when their teats are in a wringer.

This guy needed real help, in real time .. and not your lame arse attempt at humor, which only made you seem, frankly ... a bit childish and silly ... really.

Now go out an play, the adults are trying to solve a problem.

Edited by Guest

Sounds weird ,the bank don't know your name.When you give the bank your name they should then know it.

I thinkI would stop doing business with them.number 1 rule don't have more then 2 bank or credit cards in your wallet.

If your using Thailand banks and someone uses your ATM it might take quite awhile to get the money back in your

Account.Some people have had to take the bank to court.

I believe you need to get in sinc with your bank.So when your card disappears it only takes 1 call to stop all transactions,freeze your account etc.

Try losing your cards or being a victim of unauthorized usage then come back and give us a report.

My CC got copied here and used in HK. My home CC company cancelled it and refunded me, but it was not the local banks.

Learned my lesson and will look into further how to safeguard all my doc's, as I've scanned all with the applicable contact #'s and web sites, since this can be ultra stressful.

Glad you've posted, as many on here will look into thier own situation.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

I don't know if I would accept a Thai debit card, evenif they were free, and they are not. It's well known you don't get fraud protection. Having one linked to 50K or more is poor judgement. CC protection is outstandingin the US...chip or no chip, so are the exchange rates...the free plane tickets, too. Why monkey around?

I am not sure how it work in Thailand but usually you should be responsible fro the amount if they use your pin to carry on the transaction. You should only be responsible if you either used your code or signed the bill.

Now probably they have used the card in a shop and then sign the bill. In this case you should not be responsible. It is responsibility of the shop to check your ID card to make sure the card is yours and also they should check if the signature match with the one on your card. Even if you have not signed the back side of your card then the shop should ask for your ID card.

Now the person who has misused your card is either another farang who pretend to be you or is a Thai person using your card in a shop where he has some friends.

In all the cases the bank can find out which terminal has been used, there is probably some camera in the area and they can find it out.

2000 Baht. Are you sure it isn't some other charge?

What bad guy with some brain would take 2000 Baht if he can get 40.000?

Edit: and why do you have the pin with the card?

I believe that with the correct equipment it is easy to change the PIN on a card. So credit cards get sold.

PIN numbers are not stored on cards.

wrong info there... PIN number are stored on any card, encrypted yes but on your card... otherwise the ATM could not verify with the bank to make connection to your account...

I believe that with the correct equipment it is easy to change the PIN on a card. So credit cards get sold.

In modern chip based cards yes, the chip cards contain a mechanism for local PIN verification, as opposed to host-based PIN verification for the magnetic cards.

It is done using public key infrastructure, and large RSA keys.

Also the PIN is stored in a secure, tamper resistant memory within the card, and practically cannot be extracted, so you shouldn't generally be worried about the PIN being stored on the card.

But this is only if the card has a chip - if not then the PIN is stored on the server.

In both cases the PIN is not stored on the magnetic strip and cannot be changed without the encryption keys.

Also on magnetic cards, the pin is on the card, encrypted with a high secured algorithm, but it is on your card,

Excerpt from his posting: "What are my chances of getting it back? I didn't keep my PIn in my wallet,"

most certain, you will not get your money back, you forgot your wallet , equals neglect ...

Can't you read? He said he didn't and expects it has been used as a debit card in a shop.

Well maybe I wrote it wrong. They can change the PIN that you use on your card, ok?

I believe you need the old PIN to do this at the ATM, likely you can get it reset at the bank if you turn up with passbook and passport.

If you google something like 'criminals change PIN' you will come up with a lot of results. Bangkok Bank is issuing new cards that make PIN hacking more difficult, or impossible.

I have one of the newest generation BKB cards with a chip, I'm glad to hear it's safer but it's only usable at BKB ATMs which are few and far between in my neck of the jungle.

My wife has the previous generation card with only mag strip but can be used at any ATM.

I do not know about Thai banks..but US banks will refund the stolen money in a credit card or ATM after iinfo from you, etc, and its investigation. May take some time, but money will be back....You may help getting info about the merchant that accepted the card, and filling a police report...ASAP.

I don't know how it is now, but before it was stored on the magnetic stripe.

Excerpt from his posting: "What are my chances of getting it back? I didn't keep my PIn in my wallet,"

Than no one could take money from your card.

In modern chip based cards yes, the chip cards contain a mechanism for local PIN verification, as opposed to host-based PIN verification for the magnetic cards.

It is done using public key infrastructure, and large RSA keys.

Also the PIN is stored in a secure, tamper resistant memory within the card, and practically cannot be extracted, so you shouldn't generally be worried about the PIN being stored on the card.

But this is only if the card has a chip - if not then the PIN is stored on the server.

In both cases the PIN is not stored on the magnetic strip and cannot be changed without the encryption keys.

No the pin is on the magnetic stripe, at least it was before. That was big news in Europe a while ago that it was possible to read it with some cheapo equipment. Just the usual Somchai who finds the card won't have a Dr. degree in electronics......People who can do that aren't easy to find and someone who can read the pin won't take 2000 Baht if he can take 40.000 Baht from the card.

I think most banks have a service where when the card is used a message is sent to your phone immediatly.

The cost is only a few baht per month.

I use this service with Bangkok bank and the bank of Ayudhya.

I think most banks have a service where when the card is used a message is sent to your phone immediatly.

The cost is only a few baht per month.

I use this service with Bangkok bank and the bank of Ayudhya.

Yes, thank you!

Waiting in the lounge of a nice hotel, for our friends to meet us.

They rang my card .. Three times ... for the same bill.

Got three instant updates.

Asked to talked to the General Manager .... explaining that without that message, these charges would have most likely not been noticed ... and if I caught it, probably not for a long time.

Smart guy, and knows his business... Dinner for four, on the house, champagne included.

Anyway, there is real peace of mind buying things and seeing the correct debit in a message, and in the case of a lost card .. it would be SWEET to know the instant it was used!

I'll go along with you on that, bangkokequity, it actually was a bit of a jerk post but I did find it among the rare humorous posts I've read on TV.

2000 baht routine bank charge? not sure who you bank with but if you routinely get charged 2000 baht I would suggest you change banks

Alright i'll bite; Could the 2k be routine bank charges (01 July an' all that) & the OP hasn't actually lost anything?

The suggestion was per annum.

https://www.mensa.org

Edited by evadgib

Must be one of the old cards without chip and pins. Shops can accept the card by typing in "Customer present". However, the Card Issuer can identify the details of the Trader who accepted the transaction.

If it's a Thai Bank then it's unlikely they will refund you although UK Banks will provided you notify them immediately and have the card cancelled. However most Countries will not send replacement cards to Thailand due to criminality. Otherwise it's down to your travel insurance.