The Hand Flap

grumpyoldman

For those of us that motor around on motorcycles I am sure you are familiar with the hand flap. This is a phenomena generally done by pillion rider which means, we might be turning right (if drifting in that direction) or it could be we're going left but be aware we are going to do something anyway.

The other day coming toward Chalong the signal prior to Rolly Tasker, 60 something male Westerner passes me on the right on a newer pink Scoopy (has to be the Thai stepdaughter's,right?) gives me the extended arm hand flap cuts across the entire lane in front of me to make left at the signal at which point GOM yells "just use your signal !"

Now I'm no angel on the roads 100% of the time but I do believe as drivers trained in our home countries we should try and practice proper road etiquette at least 90% in hopes that others will emulate. In the meantime good luck with the pink Scoopy, dude.

I agree, the number of times I have been passed at high speed by a westerner on a motorbike on my left side is outrageous. This was when there was plenty of room to pass on the right.

When you hear a bike behind you, the natural reaction is to ease to the left.

Now that headlights on motorbikes are always on, at least the squid sign is now extinct......

Edited by KarenBravo

It's not just bikes. How about the car/truck drivers cruising along in the outside lane who then execute a left turn without warning. I guess some drivers need the full 2 lanes to turn left. Pity help any bike cruising along the inside lane.

My favourite 'hand flap' is the one the Bib use at Chalong circle when they're waving you on to certain death in the path of a large vehicle.

To do the 'hand flap' effectively the officer should be wearing grubby white gloves 3 sizes too big so that his fingers don't reach the end of the glove - hence 'flapping'!

smile.png

Most of the time I feel like I'm the only one on these roads who actually checks the traffic behind himself (plus of course indicators) before doing any kind of turn or sideways change. You should be grateful you at least got some weird hand signal.

I'm looking to buy one of these horns that cruise ships and big tankers have to put on my bike. Anyone know where to get this?

Most of the time I feel like I'm the only one on these roads who actually checks the traffic behind himself (plus of course indicators) before doing any kind of turn or sideways change. You should be grateful you at least got some weird hand signal.

I'm looking to buy one of these horns that cruise ships and big tankers have to put on my bike. Anyone know where to get this?

I think you're gonna need a bigger battery.

biggrin.png

I like the indolent flick of the wrist. The arm dangles lazily by his side, then the hand slowly flutters up to about 45 degrees, it twitches a second - yawn - to indicate a left turn, and then flops - yawn - down again. And think yourself lucky he's even conscientious enough to do that. :) Almost as effective as the security guards with tiny torches on a busy, well-lit road.

I've seen the flappy hand signals many times I always thought they knew me and was saying hi, just come back from the school run and as usual strong wind and rain means drive as fast as <deleted> possible!

Anyone ever get confused with what the police are trying to tell you with their spasmodic hand signals at check-points. I can never tell if they are telling my to pull over or move on. My girl and I had a laugh the other day when a cop, for the first time ever, made a very understandable hand signal to move on.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I hate those hand flutters, but as someone said, at least they are giving you some indication they are going to do something.

THe pillion passenger should not be indicating at all, that is for the driver. The paassenger could indicate a right turn and the driver goes left.

Remember the throttle is on the right, if the driver lets go, no power, bike slows down suddenly - so turn right signal not possible. If not automatic, left hand works the clutch - left turn signal often not possible.

The turn signal bulbs are dead, or left accidentally on, so blinking turn signals are absent, or meaningless if present.

Position on thr road means nothing, cutting across three lanes of traffic is standard practice, preferably without looking or signaling.

Cars are just as bad, plus driver can see nothing because windows are tinted black as night, AND it's wearing sunspecs,especially at midnight 'cos moonburn really hurts.

An ideal body design for Thai bike riders would resemble a well known Hindu deity. One arm for the throttle, one for the clutch, one for the mobile phone, one for the helmet, one for the drink in a bag, one for the shopping, a couple to flap, and the fag goes in the trunk.

"just use your signal !"

Not correct. In a previous life one of my many accomplishments was that of a driving instructor. When I did the course we were told to use not only the "signal lights"...but also to use "hand signals" (at the same time) ....and that is in a car. All the more so on a motorbike, I would imagine and certainly on a push bike.

Anyone ever get confused with what the police are trying to tell you with their spasmodic hand signals at check-points. I can never tell if they are telling my to pull over or move on. My girl and I had a laugh the other day when a cop, for the first time ever, made a very understandable hand signal to move on.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I hate those hand flutters, but as someone said, at least they are giving you some indication they are going to do something.

How can they not do nothing? They are doing things from the moment they jump on their bikes

until they jump back off.

They have it at 7°53'44.75"N, 98°18'13.46"E. I got one (actually it is two horns) installed in my PCX. It works wonders. Look up the coordinates in Google Maps or open the attachment in Google Earth. The location is Patong, Sai Nam Yen, about opposite of the former Wiset Hotel.

Bike Garage.kmz

They have it at 7°53'44.75"N, 98°18'13.46"E. I got one (actually it is two horns) installed in my PCX. It works wonders. Look up the coordinates in Google Maps or open the attachment in Google Earth. The location is Patong, Sai Nam Yen, about opposite of the former Wiset Hotel.

attachicon.gifBike Garage.kmz

I have heard those horns and can confirm that the sound gives an illusion of an tug boat riding on the road.

THe pillion passenger should not be indicating at all, that is for the driver. The paassenger could indicate a right turn and the driver goes left.

Remember the throttle is on the right, if the driver lets go, no power, bike slows down suddenly - so turn right signal not possible. If not automatic, left hand works the clutch - left turn signal often not possible.

The turn signal bulbs are dead, or left accidentally on, so blinking turn signals are absent, or meaningless if present.

Position on thr road means nothing, cutting across three lanes of traffic is standard practice, preferably without looking or signaling.

Cars are just as bad, plus driver can see nothing because windows are tinted black as night, AND it's wearing sunspecs,especially at midnight 'cos moonburn really hurts.

An ideal body design for Thai bike riders would resemble a well known Hindu deity. One arm for the throttle, one for the clutch, one for the mobile phone, one for the helmet, one for the drink in a bag, one for the shopping, a couple to flap, and the fag goes in the trunk.

That is why you have the circling motion to indicate you are going the opposite side. They used to teach you the same thing in you car driving test, now it has been taken out. I hear what you are saying but I do not agree that it is acceptable. What if there is no pillion rider? What happens then?

people are waving at you, the bus driver does it and the conductor on the left hand side, I always open my window, shout hallo in a kooky voice and do a show biz style wave back, they are so friendly , also motor bikes, trucks, I love the friendliness of the people on the road

I agree, the number of times I have been passed at high speed by a westerner on a motorbike on my left side is outrageous. This was when there was plenty of room to pass on the right.

Now that headlights on motorbikes are always on, at least the squid sign is now extinct......

Go back to school, it is legal to pass a car on the Lhs in Thailand illegal to pass on the RHS if on a motor bike, you know it all know nothing people should be living else where.

attachicon.gifBike Garage.kmz

I have heard those horns and can confirm that the sound gives an illusion of an tug boat riding on the road.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnRMW6P9nc

Edited by csabo

Go back to school, it is legal to pass a car on the Lhs in Thailand illegal to pass on the RHS if on a motor bike, you know it all know nothing people should be living else where.

Here are the Thai rules for over-taking.

2. Overtaking and Passing

Section 44 (500B)

A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.

[When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.]

Section 45 (400-1000B)

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Section 46 (400-1000B)

[The driver shall not overtake another vehicle when:

a. driving up a slope, bridge or curve, except where there is a traffic sign permitting overtaking

b. within a distance of 30m from a pedestrian crossing, junction, circle (rotary) or railroad crossing

c. the fog, rain or dust prevents visibility of 60m

d. entering a congested area or safety zone.]

Section 47 (400-1000B)

No driver of a vehicle shall drive his vehicle to overtake or pass another vehicle by, in doing so, going beyond the roadway's middle line that is marked or where there is a traffic sign indicating a danger area or an area in which carefulness is required on the roadway.

In the event of the left-hand side traffic lane is obstructed while the traffic lane on the right-hand side has sufficient space, a driver of a vehicle may avoid the obstructions by driving his vehicle beyond the roadway's middle line prescribed by the traffic officer in so far as he does not obstruct the traffic of the vehicles moving in the opposite direction.

Section 48 (400-1000B)

[No driver shall enter the bus lane in order to overtake another vehicle, except when there's an obstacle ahead or guided by a police officer.]

Section 49 (1000B)

[upon receiving a signal for overtaking from a vehicle immediately behind, on condition that the road ahead is safe and there's no vehicle coming from the opposite direction, the driver shall display a responding signal (left blinker or corresponding hand signal) and keep the vehicle close to the left to let the vehicle behind to pass.]

You forgot the arm for cradling the new-born baby....

You forgot the arm for cradling the new-born baby....

Otherwise known as a "Thai air-bag".