Electrical Power Surge Protection Device recommended by PEA manager

kamalabob2

My wife is self managing the building of a very modest 300,000 baht house on her land in a village near Khaen Dong in Buriram Province. I steered clear on product selection on this project other than windows, doors and electrical items. A Provincial Electricity Authority crew manager also lives in her village and he got the "contract" to install all the service cable, Phelps Dodge NYY and Phelps Dodge VAF grounded electric cable for the Schneider wall sockets and Schneider Load center. I was concerned about Power Surges in the village on the 15/45 electric service meter. The PEA supervisor drove my wife with him to a Buriram Builders Merchants Store down Highway 2074 from Putthaisong to insist she bought and he installed the made in the USA Square D QOSP20 Surge Breaker with SurgeLogic printed on the Schneider Electric boxes. He claimed, and the paperwork in English back up the claim that the Square D QOSPD20 will fit in all Square D Schneider Electric Load Centers that are single phase. I am not thrilled with the design of the little house, nor the choice of roof tiles, yet it was not a stretch of the budget, nor a "special order" to obtain a genuine Schneider Electric Surge Protective Device in Issan Thailand. There must be plenty of electrical shops that sell this model of surge protector or SPD which is not to be confused with an STD in Buriram. That is a different forum topic. Getting family members to lay Dynasty Top floor tile in a straight line that has been a challenge for my wife.

post-20604-0-82312300-1436160284_thumb.j

post-20604-0-25311900-1436160343_thumb.j

Great post.

Think I've got a few of those surge supressors, but don't have the pamphlet with me a the moment.

Someone else is keen on getting some.

Can you post a copy of the specs sheet or the Imax current rating please?

What a cute little house. Any specs on this sq. metres or inside shots. Did she exceed her budget of 300,000 bahts. After I snuff it my wife is going to build a small house and I although gone by that time am always on the lookout for ideas to help her. She has the land already. Did family and friends do a lot of the work and was their payment figured in the budget. Great job. I told her to make sure my successor shells out the bahts to build it. Tuck my/your money in the bank.

Edited by elgordo38

Great post.

Think I've got a few of those surge supressors, but don't have the pamphlet with me a the moment.

yackeg.jpg

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

Well, i see that picture, clear and close up. The Square D QO SPD20 is real. But I have searched the internet and can find no reference whatsoever to this product. Do you happen to have a link? It is not in the 2012 Schneider catalogue for Thailand. The 2012 catalogue shows the QO SPD225 which is rated at 18kA. Is the Square D QO SPD20 in a newer one?

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

Well, i see that picture, clear and close up. The Square D QO SPD20 is real. But I have searched the internet and can find no reference whatsoever to this product. Do you happen to have a link? It is not in the 2012 Schneider catalogue for Thailand. The 2012 catalogue shows the QO SPD225 which is rated at 18kA. Is the Square D QO SPD20 in a newer one?

My Google finds it smile.png

http://www.ebigthailand.com/detail.php?id=850

http://www.ranfaifa.com/product/960/surge-protection-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9C%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2

http://tkmultiply.com/product-2/%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C/square-d/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9B%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83/

And here's a tech doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5AxGqLEJ3zdVdVTDlCM1VaV28/view?pli=1

Edited by IMHO

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

Yeah, great, they are the same ones I bought from Muan Thai Outlet in Roiet.

As I said before, took a few weeks to order from Bangkok, but now in and firing.

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

http://www.ranfaifa.com/product/960/surge-protection-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9C%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2

http://tkmultiply.com/product-2/%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C/square-d/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9B%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83/

And here's a tech doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5AxGqLEJ3zdVdVTDlCM1VaV28/view?pli=1

IMHO you're a very good smart arse. (This comment is meant in a very nice manner.)smile.png

How come you can find things on the net that us mortals can't?

What did you google to find it, or do you have a certain number of sites you keep for reference?

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

I hope that makes you happy PattayaClub.

Now you can throw out the old one you bought and install the new one.

It's only money.

IMHO you're a very good smart arse. (This comment is meant in a very nice manner.)smile.png

How come you can find things on the net that us mortals can't?

What did you google to find it, or do you have a certain number of sites you keep for reference?

Maybe it's because I search in Thai? smile.png

However, in this case just the model number gets the results too - so not sure...

Great post.

yackeg.jpg

Brilliant! Now can you find the instruction bulletin for the QO SPD225?

I am trying to figure the difference. Sure the 20 says it has "Maximum Surge of 20kA," while the 225 has an Imax of 15kA. I assume (but don't know) that maximum surge and Imax are the same, but why different terminology from the same company? I note further that the 20 has an Ln of 5kA,while the 225 has 6kA, the 20 has a Up of 1.2kV and the 225 has 1.5kV, the 20 has a Uc of 270V and the 225 has a Uc of 320V, etc. The 20 uses a single slot, while the 225 is bigger and uses two slots. Finally, the 225 costs twice as much as the 20. Why would this be? Is one of these better than the other.

QO-SPD225.jpg

IMHO: Very good point on using Thai to search for some items in Thailand via google. To Elgordo 38. Many times I use the phrase "Would I rather be Right, or would I rather be Married?" So when my wife started to build the two pickup truck garage, with one bedroom, one bathroom on her land in her village, and did not have a architect or government set of plans, I passed on judgement. I have to "pick my battles". I will not be living in that 300,000 baht house but for a short time while a different larger house with an office and two bedrooms is built on a different part of her parcel of land. The 300,000 baht includes payment of daily labor, or per square meter payment of labor to relatives. The electrical PEA employee is moonlighting and gets paid per point. The building materials were bought by my wife after she worked out a detailed list of products with her Brother in Law. She went to several stores near Khaen Dong and in Buriram which gave her written price quotes that included any fees for delivery. Not every store had every product, not every store had liberal delivery policies, not every store was willing to offer a reasonable return policy. The white blocks cost 28 baht in Satuk, 27 baht in Khaeng Dong and the exact same white AAC wall blocks cost 17 baht in Buriram. Same brand, same size, including delivery to her Village. For the next house I build I would buy the 20cm wide by 20 cm high by 60 cm long light weight Diamond AAC blocks or Q Con wall blocks. Global house in Buriram was the only store that had in stock the gypsum ceiling boards that have insulation attached. Priced at 1120 baht per 1.2 meter by 2.4 meter individual board we only installed this ceiling in the bedroom. Global House charged her 850 baht for delivery of the gypsum boards from Buriram to her village, but they were the only store with an item she wanted in stock and she would not wait for any other stores to take 7 days to order the ceiling boards.

No question on who offered the lowest prices on Mitsubishi fans, Schneider Electric Square D load panel, circuit breakers, outlets, sockets, two way light switches. The cost difference on Eve Lighting LED fixtures and light bulbs was stunning. Same brand, same model can be twice as expensive at one store than a different store. None of the national chain stores had the low price on Eve LED Lights. I believe her building experience would have gone much faster and with much less stress for her had she spent a few baht on a house plan from a Buriram draftsman. When I return to the building site on Sunday I'll take some interior photos and post them on the forum. The rooms are of a decent size for two people. The outdoor Thai kitchen will be modest and this 300,000 baht Isaan home will not have the granite worktops her current home features in two kitchens. It will have the same brand of kitchen faucet and kitchen stainless steel deep bowl sink due to cost and warranty considerations. I'd be 135 years old when the warranty period expires on her kitchen sink. I'd advise any expat to check into real building plans done locally, and to be sure to obtain written price quotes directly from a few builders merchants and take delivery fees into consideration. My being on the building site will add nothing to the builders work quality or completion date, but it might drive me to drink.

post-20604-0-76657600-1436413018_thumb.j

Edited by kamalabob2

Elgordo38: Sunday I shot a few photos in my wife's new two car garage, one bedroom, one bath, one Thai Kitchen house with blue roof tiles in her village near Khaen Dong. The bathroom will have two floor drains and she is using Weber tile Adhesives and Weber Tile Grout. The bedroom is 4 meters by 4.8 meters by 3 meters high and has sliding glass windows with insect screens. The two pick up trucks will be parked in a tiled garage which already has LED ceiling lights installed by the PEA electrician. The budget is still just under 300,000 baht including local family labor. I bought a 2nd hand Teka 3 burner cooktop from a friend who recently did an upgrade to a five burner Teka HOB. Tile from Dynasty Top and a local builders merchant store will go all the way to the 3 meter high ceiling in the bathroom and on the wall of the outdoor Thai kitchen. No granite work top in this budget house, but a free standing Siemens dishwasher will be installed that I already own.

post-20604-0-53630600-1436720001_thumb.j

post-20604-0-96037600-1436720012_thumb.j

post-20604-0-89683400-1436720031_thumb.j

post-20604-0-06564100-1436720045_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

85% complete at the 300,000 baht village home with one bedroom, one bathroom two truck garage in a Buriram Village. The rain has stopped painting and installation of the stainless roll up doors. The UPVC bathroom Eco door and sliding UPVC windows are installed. A temporary inexpensive table top Teka two burner gas cooker is being used on a wooden table from our current garage. I would have installed a multi point under the counter water heater and used green PPR hot water pipes, but I was not in the loop on that decision. I am not keen about a 3500 watt Toshiba hot water heater on the tiled wall in the shower but it works for my Father in law. I'll have the Brother in law do some exterior eve trim work when he is done with his current rice planting duties. I might have installed the Eve Lighting motion sensor LED lights a bit different than the PEA electrician who has over twenty years experience. My wife is already aware of the pitfalls of a MDF bathroom basin set. The VRH stainless grab bars, bathroom fittings and faucet seem to work fine. Teaching the virtue of waiting to seal, primer and paint after the cement walls cure has been a personal challenge with family. The outside Thai kitchen which will have a deep bowl stainless steel double sink is delayed due to the rain. The lack of a proper house plan has presented challenges for my wife and caused disagreements between her and family doing the actual building construction. I bought a curtain rod at the Buriram Global House and closeout curtains at Thai Watsadu so we can sleep in the bedroom. Door locks might have something to do with a Panasonic Inverter fridge in the bedroom. Village lifestyle is a bit different than town lifestyle it seems to me.

post-20604-0-23497500-1438522399_thumb.j

post-20604-0-09471000-1438522416_thumb.j

post-20604-0-58607900-1438522436_thumb.j

post-20604-0-05736100-1438522495_thumb.j

post-20604-0-06429700-1438522524_thumb.j

post-20604-0-04141600-1438522714_thumb.j

85% complete at the 300,000 baht village home with one bedroom, one bathroom two truck garage in a Buriram Village. The rain has stopped painting and installation of the stainless roll up doors. The UPVC bathroom Eco door and sliding UPVC windows are installed. A temporary inexpensive table top Teka two burner gas cooker is being used on a wooden table from our current garage. I would have installed a multi point under the counter water heater and used green PPR hot water pipes, but I was not in the loop on that decision. I am not keen about a 3500 watt Toshiba hot water heater on the tiled wall in the shower but it works for my Father in law. I'll have the Brother in law do some exterior eve trim work when he is done with his current rice planting duties. I might have installed the Eve Lighting motion sensor LED lights a bit different than the PEA electrician who has over twenty years experience. My wife is already aware of the pitfalls of a MDF bathroom basin set. The VRH stainless grab bars, bathroom fittings and faucet seem to work fine. Teaching the virtue of waiting to seal, primer and paint after the cement walls cure has been a personal challenge with family. The outside Thai kitchen which will have a deep bowl stainless steel double sink is delayed due to the rain. The lack of a proper house plan has presented challenges for my wife and caused disagreements between her and family doing the actual building construction. I bought a curtain rod at the Buriram Global House and closeout curtains at Thai Watsadu so we can sleep in the bedroom. Door locks might have something to do with a Panasonic Inverter fridge in the bedroom. Village lifestyle is a bit different than town lifestyle it seems to me.

That looks like nice anti slip floor tiles in the bathroom.biggrin.png

Anthony5: Those bathroom floor tiles are inexpensive floor tiles my wife bought from the Dynasty Top Tile shop near her village. The tactile properties of that floor tile might not be the same as Cotto, RCI or Duragres Floor tiles. I'll soon have a VRH brushed stainless 304 grab bar installed in the shower for safety. Certainly not my choice of Weber tile grout colors. Thanks for your safety concern. Slips in the bathroom must rate high on expat injuries and fatal accidents.

Anthony5: Those bathroom floor tiles are inexpensive floor tiles my wife bought from the Dynasty Top Tile shop near her village. The tactile properties of that floor tile might not be the same as Cotto, RCI or Duragres Floor tiles. I'll soon have a VRH brushed stainless 304 grab bar installed in the shower for safety. Certainly not my choice of Weber tile grout colors. Thanks for your safety concern. Slips in the bathroom must rate high on expat injuries and fatal accidents.

My comment wasn't criticism but more tongue in cheek, because I see that in every Thai house upcountry, that they use glazed tiles in the bathroom while much less slippery ones ( but of course also less colorful) can have had for the same cheap price.

For one of my bathrooms I purchased real anti slip tiles at 110 Bht/sqm at Kanyong in Pattaya, but they are light gray of color.

Edited by Anthony5

Well, K-bob2, it seems to me that you and your wife got a lot of bang for your buck! Looks like a lot for 300K. Good job!

Great info thanks Kamalb2. Always nice to see what can be done for very little. Must be hard to stay out of trouble with the build. :)

I have seen a few structures going up in the village and they seem to be able to get a lot of bang for their buck!

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...