Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

Just back from I/O at Promenada.

Online queue appointment for 1330. Called my name at 1355. The officer was curt but efficient. Didn't acknowledge my "Sawasdee", and definitely wasn't interested in any small talk. Just the same, he did smile a couple times and checked all my paperwork. Passport copies, Photo, Bank letter and book and copies (although he did return the copies). Did not ask for any address verification, in fact, asked for nothing at all as this is my 13th year and I do supply correct paperwork as required. He took a computer photo and my payment. It was good to see that it only takes one person to do this now instead of separate steps at the old office.

He stamped my passport and filled in the blanks as necessary. Very efficient. This took exactly 15 minutes and technically was finished. NOT! He told me to come back about 4:30 to collect my passport as he added it to the pile of waiting paperwork. If only they would use common sense and give their officers or someone in the office the authority to complete this process and just hand you back your passport it would be a basically painless 15 minute task.

I came back at 4:00 just as they called my name. Finished for another year. How will it be in 2016?

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chingmai331 : Agree with you; Promenada is by far the worst mall in CM - at least near the old Airport Imm. there is Airport Central Plaza that is way better Mall than Prom.

No doubt Prom. made a deal with Imm. just to survive - they had, before Prom. Imm. came, no customers what so ever ...

I will - like another member - also try to write to my Embassy and describe how the situation is here in CM.

Edited by Kannikapor88

I arrived this morn, after a difficult journey finding the damn Prom. This at 5.30 am, still dark and frankly outrageously poor road signs. I parked the car after seeing numerous signs announcing IMMIGRATION with a big arrow. Since these signs were on wheels and (probably) few security guards read English the signs pointed in opposing directions and were not helpful. But finally, after trotting around in the dark Prom, hoping to smell the goats, i found the office and took a seat in the queue. 4 Qs were on offer, each with signboard of different color: Tourist Extension, 90 day Notify, Re-Entry Stamp, and Retirement/Medical extension. I took seat 4 in the Retirement Q at 5.45am.

I did see some of the first seats in the 90 Q occupied only by book bags. That was not my Q, i was not concerned. By 8 am the numbers were approx: Tourist 8, Reentry 4, Retire 12 and 90 Day 35 folks. At 8.25 signs of life in the office and on schedule the Immig Team arrived. At the head of my Q the Officer, with his aide who held a pile of numbers on Blue labels, asked all to stand and hold his/her passport. The Officer inspected each passport and i heard him say to Seat 2, 'you are more than 45 days prior' which told me that between 45 and 1 day prior to extension cancellation, OK to apply. He looked at my psprt and gave me 004, Blue. Wait till called. Now the time was 8.45. So far so good. The weather cool and cloudy, the chair adequate (much better than a stool) and gave me no trouble.

Since most of the folks wanted 90 extensions and perhaps these were easier to process, this group shrunk fast. The retirees took the longest time and i was called at 10.20. However, on the tannoy, at 10 am i heard a name called, 'Herman XXX, from Germany, 10 o'clock' and a chap, fresh from the taxi, trotted into the office. So i guess he had one of the elusive appointments. I went in and did not have a copy of my first entry stamp so went out a got a copy, 3 baht, and then he made all the needed stamps and scribblings, took my 1900 baht, fooled around with a computer and told me to go out and wait. "how long? can't say", I went out and bought a coffee but before it was half drunk i was called back in. More stamping and my computer photo taken and then told to return at 1.30 to collect passport.

I moped around the mall (very boring, very loud) and bought some food. At 1.15 the office called my name to collect passport. Finished. Foolishly i brought only one photo, or would have applied for Re-Entry stamp, which i think could have been done on the spot. Leave that for another day.

Drove out of Prom and got lost again. Did i mention the terrible road signs here?

Conclusion: Went well for me at Immig. Prom sucks.

You can't blame Promenada for the road signs or you getting lost. You can use a computer so you could have looked up a map of how to get to Promenada.

Sorry, but it's actually very easy to find Promenada, though getting into the parking area from the highway can be tricky with the traffic.

Agreed that Thai roads are very bad for signs, which is why it is essential to use good maps like google interactive maps, and if possible do a recce before having to go for the real thing.

BTW, they do passport photos nearby, so you could have got your re entry same day.

Online queue appointment for 1330. Called my name at 1355. The officer was curt but efficient. Didn't acknowledge my "Sawasdee", and definitely wasn't interested in any small talk. Just the same, he did smile a couple times and checked all my paperwork. Passport copies, Photo, Bank letter and book and copies (although he did return the copies). Did not ask for any address verification, in fact, asked for nothing at all as this is my 13th year and I do supply correct paperwork as required. He took a computer photo and my payment. It was good to see that it only takes one person to do this now instead of separate steps at the old office.

He stamped my passport and filled in the blanks as necessary. Very efficient. This took exactly 15 minutes and technically was finished. NOT! He told me to come back about 4:30 to collect my passport as he added it to the pile of waiting paperwork. If only they would use common sense and give their officers or someone in the office the authority to complete this process and just hand you back your passport it would be a basically painless 15 minute task.

I came back at 4:00 just as they called my name. Finished for another year. How will it be in 2016?

NB that the requirement for proof of address is now written on the piece of paper that details what documentation to bring.

NB that the requirement for proof of address is now written on the piece of paper that details what documentation to bring.

I didn't see any piece of paper stating any requirements. HOWEVER, as I had heard of this possibility I did bring it (lease agreement) with me. At the old office they usually at least asked my address and a few other questions. As I posted above, This time I wasn't asked anything.

In my experience it is best to be prepared for every possibility. Taking into account what is posted here over the previous months, everyone's experience may differ. I brought a copy of my Q online appointment, I made a copy of every used page in my passport. I made sure I did a money transfer from my account on the day I obtained my bank letter (the day before going to immigration as has always been my practice). Checked the letter and the current balance matched, made copies of each page in the bank book, brought a copy of my lease, brought my old passport and my old bank book. You never know, so bring everything.

I didn't see any piece of paper stating any requirements. HOWEVER, as I had heard of this possibility I did bring it (lease agreement) with me. At the old office they usually at least asked my address and a few other questions. As I posted above, This time I wasn't asked anything.

In my experience it is best to be prepared for every possibility. Taking into account what is posted here over the previous months, everyone's experience may differ. I brought a copy of my Q online appointment, I made a copy of every used page in my passport. I made sure I did a money transfer from my account on the day I obtained my bank letter (the day before going to immigration as has always been my practice). Checked the letter and the current balance matched, made copies of each page in the bank book, brought a copy of my lease, brought my old passport and my old bank book. You never know, so bring everything.

It's at the desk outside where they issue the q tickets.

I use the guaranteed income system. I have never been asked for proof of it or proof of my residence. Yet I always have them with me. I take no

chances when dealing with them. The headaches just are not worth it.

You are so right - on my next trip to Prom. Imm. I will bring a letter from my old Mom saying what a good boy I am - never know if they are gonna ask for it ... This place is a Waste of time or what ...

Slightly off topic perhaps, but is there any reason why the annual retirement visa extension cannot be done at another immigration office such as Chiang Rai or Bangkok ?

Were I to be traveling around Thailand and not at any one fixed abode what would I do for "proof of address", perhaps get a letter from the hotel I was resident at to say I was staying there?

Also,the proof of residence seems to be a Chiang Mai requirement only from my limited reading.

Slightly off topic perhaps, but is there any reason why the annual retirement visa extension cannot be done at another immigration office such as Chiang Rai or Bangkok ?

As I understand it, generally you're required to handle your extension in the province where you live. But.......I'm wondering if anybody in the north has tried it recently at another province as, if it were successful and relatively painless at that other province's office, that could be the beginning of a reasonable side-trip to avoid the current ugliness here in Chiangmai.

The TM 28 and TM 30 are submitted at Prom. Imm. at the desk on the extreme right. You don't need a queue number to do this, but it would be a good idea to come in soon after Imm. opens at 8:30 because it looks like a drawn-out process. I watched a small group -- houseowner and French tenants go thru this filing yesterday. Hotels and condos are usually set up to file the TM 30 on line.

If you can establish residency (with TM 28/TM 30) in another province, then you can do your annual visa extension there. But you'd have to do your 90 day reporting in that province. If you move around Thailand, you have to redo the TM 28/TM 30 routine with each move.

Personally, I just don't think it's worth it unless you have a second home elsewhere in Thailand. Instead, just steel yourself for one day of hell a year or throw in the towel and hire a visa agent. I was at Imm. Prom. yesterday early and they didn't pass out all 20 retirement queue cards at the 8:30 am opening. The final 4 that weren't claimed by customers were given to a visa agent. Anyone in the queue at 8:30 am got a queue card for a retirement extension.

Edited by NancyL

NancyL

As ever thanks for your input.

Do you have info on what the Visa Agents (Visa Assist & the Promenada one) are charging for the annual extension "process"?

Best wishes,

David

Last reports are that the Promenada visa agent is 3000 thb and ThaiVisa Assist is 5500. That does not include the fee for the extension itself.

Edited by TheAppletons

This is from Don, the force behind "Don's Life in Thailand" website http://donslifeinthailand.com/ and a daily email about CM matters like Immigration and air quality. He sent emails to everyone in CM advertising visa services (agents and lawyers), asking about fees for retirement extensions and 90 day reports and received absolutely no replies. Instead he put together a list based on input from his readers and a personal visit to G4T at Prom. mall:

Assist Thai Visa

(Price 4500 Baht + 1900 Baht for Immigration fee (Total 6400 Baht). They will go to

Immigration early then call you and tell you what time to arrive at Immigration). For 90

day report only - 300 Baht.

Established in 2008, Assist Thai Visa Service is a new company with a new vision. We believe in

comprehensive, one to one service for all our customers.

Address: 410/4-5 Chiang Mai Land Road, Chan Klan A.Muang Chiang Mai 50100

Phone #: 053-272-293 / Mobile 0882-580-139

Email:

___________________________________________________________________________________

OS Visas Co

(Price 7000 Baht which includes the 1900 Baht Immigration fee + four (4) 90 day reports.

They will call you and tell you what time they will pick you up and take you to

Immigration. After the paperwork is finished, they will take you home). For 90 day report

only - 300 Baht.

___________________________________________________________________________________

G4T Company Ltd

(Price 3000 Baht + 1900 Immigration fee (total 4900 Baht). For 90 day report

only - 300 Baht). For re-entry permit - 500 Baht plus Immigration Fee.

Address: Promenada Mall (next to Immigration)

Phone #: 090-321-5005

Email:

Edited by NancyL

The TM 28 and TM 30 are submitted at Prom. Imm. at the desk on the extreme right. You don't need a queue number to do this, but it would be a good idea to come in soon after Imm. opens at 8:30 because it looks like a drawn-out process. I watched a small group -- houseowner and French tenants go thru this filing yesterday. Hotels and condos are usually set up to file the TM 30 on line.

If you can establish residency (with TM 28/TM 30) in another province, then you can do your annual visa extension there. But you'd have to do your 90 day reporting in that province. If you move around Thailand, you have to redo the TM 28/TM 30 routine with each move.

Personally, I just don't think it's worth it unless you have a second home elsewhere in Thailand. Instead, just steel yourself for one day of hell a year or throw in the towel and hire a visa agent. I was at Imm. Prom. yesterday early and they didn't pass out all 20 retirement queue cards at the 8:30 am opening. The final 4 that weren't claimed by customers were given to a visa agent. Anyone in the queue at 8:30 am got a queue card for a retirement extension.

With all due respect Nancy. I am baffled. They only do 20 a day where they used to do up to 50 a day. In your travels have you noticed and exodus of expats from Chiang Mai? At 20 a daythat would be on a five day week 52 week year 5,200 expats in Chiang Mai. I find that hard to believe. Of course I am not including the marriage ones who always saw another officer and still do.

Annual Visa "O" 12 month extension critical date.

Would somebody please advise if the date by which the annual extension has to be completed is the expiry date of the current 12 month visa, OR the "admitted until" date on the current TM6, which in my case is some 2 months after the Visa expiry date.

Many thanks.

Annual Visa "O" 12 month extension critical date.

Would somebody please advise if the date by which the annual extension has to be completed is the expiry date of the current 12 month visa, OR the "admitted until" date on the current TM6, which in my case is some 2 months after the Visa expiry date.

Many thanks.

The expiry date of the visa is the date the visa has to be used by, that is the last date you can enter the country on that visa. The admitted until date is the expiration date of your permission of stay and is the one to follow for your extension. You can extend 30 days before expiration, though more recent reports indicate 45 days before.

This is from Don, the force behind "Don's Life in Thailand" website http://donslifeinthailand.com/ and a daily email about CM matters like Immigration and air quality. He sent emails to everyone in CM advertising visa services (agents and lawyers), asking about fees for retirement extensions and 90 day reports and received absolutely no replies. Instead he put together a list based on input from his readers and a personal visit to G4T at Prom. mall:

Assist Thai Visa

(Price 4500 Baht + 1900 Baht for Immigration fee (Total 6400 Baht). They will go to

Immigration early then call you and tell you what time to arrive at Immigration). For 90

day report only - 300 Baht.

Established in 2008, Assist Thai Visa Service is a new company with a new vision. We believe in

comprehensive, one to one service for all our customers.

Address: 410/4-5 Chiang Mai Land Road, Chan Klan A.Muang Chiang Mai 50100

Phone #: 053-272-293 / Mobile 0882-580-139

Email:

OS Visas Co

(Price 7000 Baht which includes the 1900 Baht Immigration fee + four (4) 90 day reports.

They will call you and tell you what time they will pick you up and take you to

Immigration. After the paperwork is finished, they will take you home). For 90 day report

only - 300 Baht.

G4T Company Ltd

(Price 3000 Baht + 1900 Immigration fee (total 4900 Baht). For 90 day report

only - 300 Baht). For re-entry permit - 500 Baht plus Immigration Fee.

Address: Promenada Mall (next to Immigration)

Phone #: 090-321-5005

Email:

The information above for Assist Thai Visa differs from the quotation (see photo below) that I was given at their office 2 months ago. Perhaps with the arrival of G4T they have reduced their fees.. clap2.gifcoffee1.gif

Apologies for the upside down photo, I don't know how to correct it.. whistling.gif

post-126139-0-98471400-1441690844_thumb.

Edited by merlin2002

I think the price Don is quoting for Assist Thai Visa may be based on older information. As I said, he sent emails to all the visa agents (including many I didn't list, who I don't really consider to be "main-line" visa agents) and he didn't receive a reply from any. So, he had to base his email on input from his readers.

G4T seems to have increased their fee quotes since they first opened their doors. They told me 2000 baht for a retirement extension queue card a few weeks ago. Basically all they're doing is snaring the early morning queue cards and helping you fill out the forms. No emails address. No website. No free ride to Prom. Imm.

With all due respect Nancy. I am baffled. They only do 20 a day where they used to do up to 50 a day. In your travels have you noticed and exodus of expats from Chiang Mai? At 20 a daythat would be on a five day week 52 week year 5,200 expats in Chiang Mai. I find that hard to believe. Of course I am not including the marriage ones who always saw another officer and still do.

I agree, NorthernJohn that the rate of 20 per day isn't sustainable. That's less than 5000 retirement extensions per year and there were 5226 retirement extensions done by CM Immigration in 2014. It's got to be higher now. Remember, this is the slow time of year, however. I expect the situation will change come high season and 20 queue cards per day just isn't going to cut it.

I've witnessed the early morning queueing about six times now since Imm. Prom opened and twice there wasn't a need for all 20 retirement queue cards. The other 4 times, retirees were turned away from the back of the packs. What amazes me are the folks who show up at 9 am and expect to be able to complete a retirement extension that day. Clearly this points to the need for CM Imm. to improve their website with just what's needed to execute a retirement extension in CM, including what time to arrive.

Edited by NancyL

Clearly this points to the need for CM Imm. to improve their website with just what's needed to execute a retirement extension in CM, including what time to arrive.

They don't need to improve it, they need to scrap it and start over. This time with an English language editor or proof reader. Why it is nearly all in Thai when the vast majority of users that need to make use of it will be wanting at least English. Probably at least a Chinese/Japanese/Russian option also.

I am starting to think a lot of these problem with 90 day reporting and visa extensions are actually our own fault.

Its got to the stage when people are going at ridiculous hours in the early morning to get a place before anyone else... and they get earlier and earlier... making going at a normal time impossible.

Then, people using agencies and paying all that unnecessary money to them... which then leaves the rest of us with no place in the queue without using an agency.

And, finally, people are giving money under the counter to get what they want... so people don't stand a chance!

It’s getting out of hand really.

If everyone went at a normal time, did not use the agencies, and did not give bribes then it would be a lot better for everyone else.

Yes, of course "it's our own fault" that people keep coming earlier and earlier to queue up and start to pay agents to do it for them. It's how humans behave when they're competing for scarce resources.

Don't you remember how you couldn't find any toilet paper, Coke Zero or kitty litter on the store shelves after the 2011 floods? Do you think people really needed those 72 roll packs of toilet paper they were carting out of the store? Haven't you the first couple seasons of 'Walking Dead'? It's just human nature at work.

Actually, it's my observation that the early morning queue is forming later at Promenada than it did at the old office. For one thing, they don't start to pass out the queue cards until 8:30 am vs. 7 am at the old office. They did it that early there to get everyone out of the parking lot so the employees could get into work. Doesn't matter at Promenada. I arrived at 5:30 am on Monday and about killed myself fumbling around in the dark. No lights. Probably a good thing to wait until 6 am and first light to show up for the early morning queue.

Edited by NancyL