Retirement visa

Yesterday I went to my immigration office(Isaan) to get my new 12month extension to my Retirement Visa.Half way through she asked me for my old Passport.Now that one expired last year and the new one has got its first page with a retirement stamp for July2014-- July 2015.so I do not know and could not understand why she would want the old one.Not only that but all the papers have now been sent to BKK and I have been given a one month temporary ext from 23 july to 22 Aug instructing me to ----"contact this office again in person on 22 Aug". Can anybody tell me what on earth this is all about? thanks Dougal

Not sure why she asked for your old passport. Your new one has all the info needed if you had them transfer your stamps to it.

If you are in Isaan the approval would be done by division 4 headquarters in Korat not Bangkok. But I think it is still a local approval for an extension based upon retirement.

Was this at Kap Choeng or Udon immigration?

This was all done in Udon Thani.I have been doing this exact same transfer for the last 8 yrs with no trouble.Udon does it all there normaly,albeit sometimes a 1 hour Q,but due to lack of customers yesterday was in and out in 20 mins,thats why I cannot understand the sudden change and of cause asking for a "cancelled" passport

There have been other reports about the 30 day under consideration stamp at Udon. It seems they may have lost their authority to approve them.

I have no idea why she wanted your old passport. Immigration has not seen my old passport since they transferred the stamps to the new one.

Ah thanks Joe for that bit of info.As you say there is seemingly no reason to require my old one and good job I did not destroy it!!!!!!!! Anyway at least I do not feel now that I have been singled out for something,and feel a bit happier.Will send report when I get Ext next month.Thanks and feel happier now Dougalwai.gif

"I do not know and could not understand why she would want the old one."

The only reason I can think of is that she wanted to see the original non 'O' visa which I assume is in your old passport.

The question arises as to whether we are extending the stay granted when originally entering or we are extending the stay of the last years extension. If the former then I understand why she might need/want to see the original visa. If the later then as long as she sees the previous extension stamp I don't understand why the visa would still be relevant.

The only reason I can think of is that she wanted to see the original non 'O' visa which I assume is in your old passport.

The question arises as to whether we are extending the stay granted when originally entering or we are extending the stay of the last years extension. If the former then I understand why she might need/want to see the original visa. If the later then as long as she sees the previous extension stamp I don't understand why the visa would still be relevant.

NO the original one was in 2 passports ago nearly nine yrs ago

• Like 1

All the info needed about the visa used to get the entry that has been extended is annotated in the new passport when the stamps are transferred.

There is no need for the old passport with the visa in it.

• Like 1

maybe want to see tm6 in the old one.

wbrroobaa01

Nope

They move the TM6 to the new passport. I have a TM6 in my passport that still has the old passport number on it.

Last time I got a new passport and had the extension and TM.6 transferred, I got a mini-lecture at the departure Immigrations kiosk because the old passport number was on the TM.6. Might want to cross off the old passport number and write the new one to keep the gods happy?

wbrroobaa01

Nope

They move the TM6 to the new passport. I have a TM6 in my passport that still has the old passport number on it.

Last time I got a new passport and had the extension and TM.6 transferred, I got a mini-lecture at the departure Immigrations kiosk because the old passport number was on the TM.6. Might want to cross off the old passport number and write the new one to keep the gods happy?

I wouldn't do that.

That would be tampering with a document.

It's a dated document so to change anything at a later date seems dodgy.

wbrroobaa01

Nope

I wouldn't do that.

The half of the TM.6 that is stapled in your passport can be blank when you enter Thailand and filled in later -- haven't you ever been in queue for departure and had the Immigrations Officer deflect passengers to the side so they could fill it in? -- so how would they know when you wrote anything on there? Heck, it could genuinely be that you wrote the wrong passport number after they had already transferred the TM.6 form to the new passport, and you simply corrected your mistake.

The Immigrations Officer was quite insistent that I should have "corrected" the passport number before approaching his kiosk.

If you have transferred visa/extension information the new passport, that would be easily detectable. So it would be clear you altered the card later as well. It's an interesting report but I don't think your solution is a good one.

Not sure why she asked for your old passport. Your new one has all the info needed if you had them transfer your stamps to it.

If you are in Isaan the approval would be done by division 4 headquarters in Korat not Bangkok. But I think it is still a local approval for an extension based upon retirement.

Was this at Kap Choeng or Udon immigration?

several months ago i was held up at the airport for ½ an hour because my BKK issued passport did not show any entry stamp. all 10 extensions were transferred but the date of the last entry stamp was missing.

Would showing your old passport have helped?

I am sure it would have assisted but why would anyone carry an old passport, that does not contain a valid visa, when they believe all required information has been transferred to their new passport ?

of course it would have helped (i was told) but then who would think of potential problems when the new passport shows 10 (TEN) transferred extensions but inspite of that an immigration officer wants to have proof that i was not dropped by a stork or arrived as a blind passenger on an alien spaceship but entered Thailand legally.

TIT! crazy.gif

I am sure it would have assisted but why would anyone carry an old passport, that does not contain a valid visa, when they believe all required information has been transferred to their new passport ?

i usually carry an old passport with me when travelling but in checked luggage. in case a valid passport is lost it makes replacement at an embassy or consulate a breeze. but travelling to my home country i considered it unnecessary. little did i know.

laugh.png

I guess I would carry it as a long term resident here.

in all these years i was never asked for any ID. if asked i'd show my Thai 5Y DL and if that is not enough i'll hand over a document with a portrait of His Majesty the King.

• Like 1

in all these years i was never asked for any ID. if asked i'd show my Thai 5Y DL and if that is not enough i'll hand over a document with a portrait of His Majesty the King.

I meant at the airport.

I wouldn't do that.

The half of the TM.6 that is stapled in your passport can be blank when you enter Thailand and filled in later -- haven't you ever been in queue for departure and had the Immigrations Officer deflect passengers to the side so they could fill it in? -- so how would they know when you wrote anything on there? Heck, it could genuinely be that you wrote the wrong passport number after they had already transferred the TM.6 form to the new passport, and you simply corrected your mistake.

The Immigrations Officer was quite insistent that I should have "corrected" the passport number before approaching his kiosk.

I don't think that the IO's at BKK write the passport number on the TM6 departure card which they staple to your passport upon your arrival back in LOS from foreign parts any more. At least my current TM6 doesn't include my passport number - and neither have any of the previous few to the best of my recollection.

I meant at the airport.

Only necessary for your first trip outside LOS on a new passport, I would have thought. Presumably the exit stamp you receive on that occasion would keep all jobsworth IO's you might encounter on subsequent forays into foreign parts during the lifetime of the new passport happy.

Will definitely bear this in mind after I have next renewed my passport in 2023 - assuming, of course, that I am still in full possession of my faculties and able to travel to foreign parts then!wink.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I wouldn't do that.

I don't think that the IO's at BKK write the passport number on the TM6 departure card which they staple to your passport upon your arrival back in LOS from foreign parts any more. At least my current TM6 doesn't include my passport number - and neither have any of the previous few to the best of my recollection.

Considering that I regularly see foreign travelers deflected to the side of the Immigrations kiosk upon departure to fill in the blank TM.6 in their passport, I've assumed that nowadays if you present the Immigrations Officer on arrival a completely blank departure half of the TM.6 card, they staple it -- blank -- into the passport.

Considering that I regularly see foreign travelers deflected to the side of the Immigrations kiosk upon departure to fill in the blank TM.6 in their passport, I've assumed that nowadays if you present the Immigrations Officer on arrival a completely blank departure half of the TM.6 card, they staple it -- blank -- into the passport.

They do plonk their standard entry stamp somewhere on it before stapling it in your passport, in my experience.