Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

Kids don't know they're born these days, when I was at school we had to walk a lot further than 300 metres to buy alcohol!

I'm looking forward to Plan B, in which they relocate all the schools instead...

Edited by lamyai3

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand becoming like Singapore is a journey of a thousand miles. But a journey of a thousand miles still needs to start with a single step.

This IS a very important step, and this is hopefully the beginning of that long journey. We might be seeing history in the making here.

www.singaporevisa.com

You need to read the original article! This is not the law the prime minister put through under section 44 . That law is not yet in force This is a new law brought in by the army. Under this law there are NO exceptions! Also there is no definition of the word 'near' It is open to interpretation by the police, and we all know what that means!

Was on Loi khro last November for a meal in a Mexican restaurant there and talking to the owner he told me that there were rumors going around that something like this was going to happen and along with closing down everywhere in the area they were going to try and set up a bar and food area elsewhere . He seemed to be very sure that because of the Wat near that this was going to happen. Or at least start to happen. Whether it was to be followed through is open to debate. Some people had already moved to this new area and I'm sure someone in here will be able to say more on this issue.

From the map, it looks like the lower end of Nana, Soi 6, Soi 8 and around that side of Suk, and some of Soi 11 all the way to Cowboy and surrounding areas cannot sell alcohol.

I don't see mention of a time limit...like up until 8pm at night. Can't imagine that they would make it 24 hour ban.

Pretty funny if this is in fact true and enforced.

A lot of unhappy Mongers.

555 part of the greater Happiness Initiative. Ban booze and all us sleazy mongers will go to Philly. TAT will come up with new ideas to counter the loss of billions of monger baht.

All the Bargirls will go back home and be hostesses along with the Little Hosts.

Drinkers, smokers, or any drug addict should be re-located in a island so they can continue killing themselves freely.

It would be much simpler to relocate all the puritans as there's a lot less of them.

Also, I believe they did that once before about 400 years ago and it didn't turn out too great.

Now we have better means.

However, the fact that intoxicants are widely consumed in every country does not make it right, I hope you still have the sense of right and wrong in your system. I am not a puritan, puritan is a stupid word and offensive. I used to drink and smoke and do all that shit. I am talking now because I can see clearly. If you are intoxicated you are not you, you are the intoxicant, therefore you are just wasting your life. I will not reply further to this thread, adieu.

Come back Berto.... you forgot your toys

Drinkers, smokers, or any drug addict should be re-located in a island so they can continue killing themselves freely.

It would be much simpler to relocate all the puritans as there's a lot less of them.

Also, I believe they did that once before about 400 years ago and it didn't turn out too great.

Now we have better means.

However, the fact that intoxicants are widely consumed in every country does not make it right, I hope you still have the sense of right and wrong in your system. I am not a puritan, puritan is a stupid word and offensive. I used to drink and smoke and do all that shit. I am talking now because I can see clearly. If you are intoxicated you are not you, you are the intoxicant, therefore you are just wasting your life. I will not reply further to this thread, adieu.

thanks and enjoy your life...

Well, the BKK Post version says the PM issued the orders under Article 44, that they were published in the Royal Gazette on Thursday and due to take effect immediately.

The Post's account:

-- 5 year ban on places found to be serving alcohol to those under age 20, or even bars-pubs allowing entry to those under 20, or those operating beyond legal hours.

--Bars, restaurants, clubs banned from selling alcohol near any schools, including universities and dorms, but not limited to those only. But the Post said the order doesn't specify what distance "near" is defined as.

[Tallguy note: the Post recap, oddly, cites bars, restaurants and clubs, but fails to mention anything about stores/markets being included. Though, based on the order, you'd kind of have to think the government's actual order would not likely cover all the other places but somehow exempt markets.]

--But, the article says last month the National Committee for Alcohol Consumption control recommended a ban on alcohol sales within 300 feet of educational institutions, while the Justice Minister said the distance should be 500 meters.

If the order is enforced, one liquor vendor estimated that 35 to 40% of Bangkok could have alcohols sales forbidden.

FWIW, my soi in lower Sukhumvit has a single elementary type school located part way into the soi. There are two 7/11s, and countless bars and restaurants, those in hotels and stand alone places, within a 300 to 500 meter radius of the school.

It's kind of hard to believe they'd really be serious to enforce this as stated/written. Thailand, the hub of unenforced, routinely ignored laws.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thailand becoming like Singapore is a journey of a thousand miles. But a journey of a thousand miles still needs to start with a single step.

This IS a very important step, and this is hopefully the beginning of that long journey. We might be seeing history in the making here.

Singapore has no ban on alcohol sales near schools.

Singapore bars can be open past 4 am, except in residential areas (then about 2 am).

Singapore cars are not allowed to run down pedestrians in zebra crossings nor drunkenly murder police officers

Singapore has legal prostitution (Thailand does not).

Regular Singapore women (not hookers) dress 100x more provocatively than Thai women (ever been to Orchard Rd? I lived there).

So....if Thailand is becoming like Singapore, I guess we can expect all of these things soon here in Thailand? I'm looking forward to it!

If enforced, the alcohol ban wouldn't affect me much personally, but it would destroy countless small businesses in my area of Bangkok (Siam/Ratchaprasong), which is not even a party district.

Edited by eppic

This is just revenge stuff. My wife said she can hardly be fussed, it is you farang's problems. Thai People will be able to drink and buy alcohol anywhere they please, you on the other hand will not you buncha foreign pedos all of you! Drinking within 300 meters of schools!

It's just payback for the international pressure on the junta. Thai people need not worry! Have a nice weekend!

A ' vaguely worded ' law will be handy for some to make extra money until the mess is sorted out.

Another situation very much in keeping with the usual trait of not thinking things through then jumping in with both feet.

Regular Singapore women (not hookers) dress 100x more provocatively than Thai women (ever been to Orchard Rd? I lived there).

Most Singapore women I have seen definitely DO NOT dress provocatively.... but the "China girls" (i.e. foreigners) do....

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

Grow up fool........ It's not just an issue on bars, shortly it'll be something else, then something else......

Yougivemebaby = yougivemeheadache.

What a d!ck comment.

How about the owners and employees of these bars that will lose their business/jobs, which the vast majority are Thai's. It's not always about sexpats, step outside the bar once in awhile.

LOL, you couldn't make it up. They appear to have wiped the entire hospitality industry in a major capital city off the map.

Something is either lost in translation here or someone has deliberately done something to make the current government look incredibly foolish in front of the whole world.

.................."They appear to have wiped the entire hospitality industry in a major capital city off the map."...........................

Wow, talk about over-reacting ! You appear to have got it wrong.

I have lived in Thailand long enough to know that it is the Land of Crackdowns, most of which either don't last long, if they eventuate at all.

Still have not worked out why they do it, and gave up trying to years ago.

And as far as looking foolish in front of the whole world goes, a lot of governments around the globe will be thinking Thailand is just playing catch up with them, as these laws regarding selling alcohol within a certain distance of schools has been in force for many years.

The USA has many laws in place regarding selling alcohol within a certain distance of schools and universities -

"Distance requirements vary widely, from 100 feet (the distance a primary or secondary school in Illinois must be from an off-premises outlet) to 1.5 miles (the distance a university in California must be from an outlet selling wine or spirits). Restrictions that mandate greater distances are

more likely to promote the goals of keeping alcohol away from underage drinkers and reducing their exposure to alcohol marketing."
I doubt if this latest crackdown will amount to much, but it will attract lots of "over-the-top" comments from those who love to nip at heels of the current government, from the safety of their computer bunker. biggrin.png

In dire distress? Join AA Meetings daily.

I went to an A A meeting once.

Bunch of pissheads, no way I would let them anywhere near my car!

Some people brighten up a room by arriving. Others by leaving. Let me guess....