No charges for thugs who threatened Phuket police volunteers

Lite Beer

No charges for thugs who threatened Phuket police volunteers
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1438402457_1-org.jpg

Wal Brown, Chris Mclaren, Unthon Sarathong and Pol Lt Col Pongpichan Chayanonpiriya.

PHUKET: Kathu police have revealed that following investigations into a report filed by police volunteers that a gang of drunken thugs had threatened them with violence at the beach end of Bangla Rd on July 10 they tracked down those responsible and that they have since apologised.

Police have stated that no further action will be taken against those involved, however, they have been warned not to repeat their actions.

The gang turned up Bangla Rd at 10:50pm on July 10 and started playing loud music from the vehicle while drinking beers on the steps right in front the police box.

They were asked to leave by police volunteers and did so immediately. However, an hour later they returned in greater numbers and were looking for a fight with the volunteers. (See story here)

On Wednesday (July 29), Pol Lt Col Pongpichan Chayanonpiriya from Kathu police announced that following investigations they found that the vehicle was registered to a Bangkok based company called ASEFA Public Co.,Ltd and that a letter regarding the incident was sent to them.

In a letter of reply, the company stated that they had found the five men involved and had spoken to them about the incident.

They had admitted being drunk and said they had parked the vehicle because it was raining.

They also stated that police volunteers had asked who they were and where they had come from, but no argument had taken place.

Speaking at a meeting between Unthon Sarathong, a represenataive from the company, and the police volunteers, Mr Unthon said, “The company is so sorry about the incident, and we realise that we should train and teach our staff better.

“If the threats of violence by our staff are true then we apologise sincerely to the police volunteers,” he said.

Mr Unthon went on to say that he was happy to have had an opportunity to come to Phuket and apologise to the police volunteers in person, and that the company had cooperated fully with Kathu police.

“We have questioned the staff about their behaviour and have ordered that they take more care when acting on behalf of the company. They are not Phuket residents and they had been sent here as electricians to take care of a customer here in phuket.

“I, together with other representatives from the company will decide what action to take against them,” he added.

Chris Mclaren, one of the police volunteers who was threatened said, “We just want them to know that their behaviour will not be allowed and what the consequences will be.”

Wal Brown, head of the police volunteers added, “We don't want them to be fired from their jobs, we just want them to be warned and to learn how to act in public.”

Pol Lt Col Pongpichan said, “The police volunteers just want them to be warned. It is a fair compromise. We will not charge those involved but we will give them a warning.

“Mr Unthon has assured us that he will to back to Bangkok and deal with the matter internally.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-charges-for-thugs-who-threatened-phuket-police-volunteers-53453.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-01

Drinking and driving a company vehice - sackable offense in any country.

It's a sackable offense in Thailand, but Thai employers won't do it. Employees come to work drunk, and instead of being terminated, they are suspended from work for a week. Absolutely no deterrent effects from the light punishments handed out in this country, except of course, for drug offenses committed by the poor, who can't bribe their way out of punishment.

Edited by zaphod reborn

In essence they have not broken any laws .

Threatening police volunteers is he say/she say.

Drink driving is an assumption as no one was tested.

So do not you all go throwing hissy fits.

In essence, why would they apologize then?

"They had admitted being drunk"

DUH

Wal and Chris are probably thinking 'Birds Nest bloody Soup!? - Even my cat won't drink that...

Why didn't they hand over a bottle of JW, (are alcoholic gifts allowed on Buddha Day?)

Edited by simon43

Haha... F.me! Why is this a surprise? I had hopes the right thing would happen, but I am continually amazed! Utter stupidly that an apology clears criminal wrong doing. Must have been someone really hi up in the gang!

In essence they have not broken any laws .

Threatening police volunteers is he say/she say.

Drink driving is an assumption as no one was tested.

So do not you all go throwing hissy fits.

In essence, why would they apologize then?

"They had admitted being drunk"

DUH

They does not mean the driver and apology just to make all happy.

Drunk driving, threaten police etc. and they apologize sorry.gif and give them a basket with bird-spit ...sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif case closed ...

Amazing this Land of No Consequenze no matter how stupid and imbecille you behave ... crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

So you have some secret proof drivers were drunk?

Or may be some video or audio record of the threats?

Perhaps badges of police who were threatened ?

Because last time I checked volunteers without the presence of real police are nothing more but civilians dressed as clowns.

So what exactly did you want police to charge them with?

Pol Lt Col Pongpichan said, “The police volunteers just want them to be warned. It is a fair compromise. We will not charge those involved but we will give them a warning.

Sounds like the comprise was greatly in favor of the offenders. TIT

But there was loss of face on the thugs and thugs employer sides.

Drunk driving, threaten police etc. and they apologize sorry.gif and give them a basket with bird-spit ...sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif case closed ...

Amazing this Land of No Consequenze no matter how stupid and imbecille you behave ... crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Because last time I checked volunteers without the presence of real police are nothing more but civilians dressed as clowns.

Your "secret proof" is in the article Mate.

"They had admitted being drunk and said they had parked the vehicle because it was raining."

...and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one have to be driving a vehicle in order to park it?

Edited by jaywalker

Typical Thai response, you are not good enough to be called 3rd world, cavemen would be a better description, and the company did jack shit, no wonder so many foreigners die in thailand, and yes they admitted that they were drunk so for al the people who want to stick up for the scum

“The company is so sorry about the incident, and we realise that we should train and teach our staff better.

“I, together with other representatives from the company will decide what action to take against them,” he added.

Said the Pope

Edited by Mudcrab

Your "secret proof" is in the article Mate.

"They had admitted being drunk and said they had parked the vehicle because it was raining."

...and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one have to be driving a vehicle in order to park it?

They = many

Driver = only 1 can drive car

And even assuming driver was drunk , what do you charge him with? DUI with what level of alcohol?

Classic Thai face saving exercise.

All Thai justice works that way - unless it doesn't of course.

Something tells me the real cops inspected that basket of overpriced fruit juice and removed the main cause of the overpricing (a brown envelope)

The Thais get to save face, the cops get the envelope, the farang wannabe mall cops get fruit juice - everyone's a winner.

Edited by Charlie Croker

The TV "hang em high brigade" are out in force on this one!

Like most people I have developed an almost zero tolerance for anti social behavior and attitudes, especially where it involves drugs or alcohol. No matter whether you are "under the influence" there is no excuse for violence, intimidation or racism, especially when it is aimed at practically defenseless volunteer's who are contributing to the society they choose to live in. These people are trying to make a difference and should be commended for it, not abused!

But, and this is a big but,

In every country around the world the young are very often (when there is no actual assault or damage) given a second chance, this is not specific to Thailand. The extensive number of TV Thai bashers will see this as another example of double standards or preferential treatment but it is not, this is now a fairly universal approach to young or first offenders.

Yes this whole sorry episode should not have occurred, these youths should have known better and should have acted with more respect and dignity, they patently did not so are they to be vilified and demonized just to placate a few farangs?

To me this has been handled well, if the actual victims of the threats and intimidation are happy for the youths to be reprimanded and warned then that should be the end of it.

None of us were actually there to see what happened, there was no actual assault, damage or charges laid as to any other crime. Let them keep their jobs with the clear understanding that this is their last chance with no further transgressions allowed.

You never know these foolish youths may actually turn out to be better adults due to this experience...

Edited by Bignose