Fake 100-baht banknotes spreading in Chiang Rai

webfact

Fake 100-baht banknotes spreading in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI, 5 August 2015 (NNT) – Forged 100-baht banknotes are spreading in Chiang Rai, with staff at many businesses now wary of accepting 100-baht bills from customers.

Ratrot Ak-kha-ra-rang-si-sup-pha-kun ( รัฐโรจน์ อัครรังสีศุภกุล), the manager of an ice-making factory in Chiang Rai's Mueang district, said that to the naked eye and to the hands, the fake banknotes were identical to the real bills and could not be distinguished without the use of proper equipment. According to him, the appropriate watermarks were present, and each of the fake bill bwars a different serial number.

The bills have come into circulation for several months but their usage have only recently become rampant. The ice factory has been paid with dozens of fake 100-baht bills in the past month, he said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-05 footer_n.gif

I highly doubt they are so good that you cannot tell, there is always something not right, the police/government should issue a press release with pictures and instructions of how to identify them

I highly doubt they are so good that you cannot tell, there is always something not right, the police/government should issue a press release with pictures and instructions of how to identify them

EXACTLY! Especially since the bills 'have come into circulation for several months'. Very proactive, this lot. What the hell were they waiting for???

If they are exactly like the real ones, can they really be considered fake? A movie scene comes to mind with Eddy Murphy and the Grumphy guy telling a bar owner which bills are fake and which are not in his register, then makes off with the "fake" ones....giggle.gif

Edited by AlQaholic

I guess it's worth it to some people.I imagine they are circulated a lot more than the 500 and 1000 baht note.

You've got to consider the punishment if caught, here it is basically the same as murder, a lot of risk for little profit.

I guess it's worth it to some people.I imagine they are circulated a lot more than the 500 and 1000 baht note.

You've got to consider the punishment if caught, here it is basically the same as murder, a lot of risk for little profit

Considering the statistics of people charged with and actually found guilty of murder, that might not seem like a bad risk.

Now, if they were to do it under the "lesse majeste" rules (where is my spell checker?) wherein the forger is copying a picture of HRH... ouch, that would get them slammed up pretty quick.