Thai pilots lose out to foreign nationals, petition NLA intervention

webfact

Thai pilots lose out to foreign nationals, petition NLA intervention

BANGKOK, 14 August 2015 (NNT) - The Thai Pilots Association (TPA) has petitioned the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) to address the recent replacement of at least 13 Thai helicopter pilots with foreign nationals.

The petition was submitted to Group Captain Paisan Sitabutr, Chairman of the NLA committee on transportation.

The association revealed that many businesses have recently hired foreign helicopter pilots instead of Thai nationals. The companies in question have claimed to save time and money spent on training Thai pilots by hiring competent, licensed foreigners.

The TPA also revealed that some companies have exploited a legal loophole in which they hire foreign nationals as training instructors, but then render regular flight services.

It has also been found that the majority of helicopters flying in and out of oil rigs in the Gulf of Thailand are piloted by foreigners. The association argues that these routes should be handled by Thai nationals.

The TPA argues that these actions violate Section 5 of the 1979 Act on Prescribing Works Relating to Occupation and Profession in which an Alien is Prohibited to Engage.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-14 footer_n.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is exactly what to expect when ASEAN integration becomes a reality. Thailand will use its antiquated, xenophobic, and protectionist regulations to block the hiring of foreign talent. After all, how can Thais compete with properly trained and experienced professionals?

Why not be like in most civilized countries and hire the best person for the job. If the local lads can do just as well, then they will be hired, but if they are worse, cost more to train, well they can go learn on their own baht to catch up.

But, but, but... Thais should protect one another against the foreigners invasion. It is in the 12 Mandates of Pleak Phibulsongkram.

Just look at the example and success of the RTP, they take care of their own and nobody gets sacked. Is that so difficult to understand?rolleyes.gif

Farang can' understand Thainess.

Why not be like in most civilized countries and hire the best person for the job. If the local lads can do just as well, then they will be hired, but if they are worse, cost more to train, well they can go learn on their own baht to catch up.

Well that would be very stupid.....importing millions of foreigner and having a very high unemployment rate doesn't make sense.

maybe the oil companies are concerned about the helicopter landing properly on their 600 million dollar oil rig without blowing the whole thing up?

and how does a Thai helicopter pilot compete with a USA, UK, AU, NATO or even Russian pilots with years of real combat flight experience and the best training in the world?

they don't...

I was in a helicopter only once, from the top of the PanAm Building out to Idlewild. There's a reason that in Her busy first week, God did not create helicopters. They are as unnatural as the platypus. Besides the skill required to be airborne and alive, there's the maintenance schedule, words foreign to Thailand. It is totally racist of me to say it, especially as I live here, but I would never get into a helicopter with a Thai at the controls.

And this is exactly what to expect when ASEAN integration becomes a reality. Thailand will use its antiquated, xenophobic, and protectionist regulations to block the hiring of foreign talent. After all, how can Thais compete with properly trained and experienced professionals?

"And this is exactly what to expect when ASEAN integration becomes a reality."

I wouldn't hold my breath. When it really dawns on the powers that be what will happen if there is a free flow of workers between countries I think the brakes will be applied - hard.

Well that would be very stupid.....importing millions of foreigner and having a very high unemployment rate doesn't make sense.

They have zero unemployment and have already imported millions. I expect these 12 unemployed pilots to swell the numbers considerably.

They have zero unemployment and have already imported millions. I expect these 12 unemployed pilots to swell the numbers considerably.

but they make it difficult.....if always the best would get the job, almost all technical jobs would be made by Indians and all manual work by Cambodians. No need for Thais....

I was in a helicopter only once, from the top of the PanAm Building out to Idlewild. There's a reason that in Her busy first week, God did not create helicopters. They are as unnatural as the platypus. Besides the skill required to be airborne and alive, there's the maintenance schedule, words foreign to Thailand. It is totally racist of me to say it, especially as I live here, but I would never get into a helicopter with a Thai at the controls.

Yes your a racist and an ignorant fool to boot, i have flown many flights with thai pilots and they are fully competant

So back on your barstool Maverick

Brave man!

Not in the least, if i wasnt confident flying with them i wouldnt, that simple,

fact is there are some real pig ignorant arm chair "experts" slagging these guys off and in my real life experience, the guys i have come across are real professionals and dedicated and skilled in their profession

But lets not let facts get in the way of a good Thai bash

I suspect most of the resident "experts" on here would never be able to fly with them anyway simply because they are too fat fron sitting on their barstools and thus too wide/ too heavy to be given a seat

- Considering the country is crippled by corruption

- Considering the education level can be "bought" as the parents don t want to lose face and for exemple it is forbidden to put a "F" to any copy whatever shit is on it.

- Considering the Thai Army was able to crash an Helicopter in Burma then send another on to the rescue which crashed as well you can maybe understand that corruption and safety cannot be really good friends to each other.

- Considering Thai Airways is banned from Japan/Australia and so on

- Considering that the Ghosts/Karma/FengShui and black magic is believed by most of them as well as the dear Commandante PM Prayouth..

It may be understandable that some of us may have doubts about the capacity of some of the pilots to be efficient, or the staff taking care of the helicos...

Yes your a racist and an ignorant fool to boot, i have flown many flights with thai pilots and they are fully competant

So back on your barstool Maverick

Brave man!

Not in the least, if i wasnt confident flying with them i wouldnt, that simple,

fact is there are some real pig ignorant arm chair "experts" slagging these guys off and in my real life experience, the guys i have come across are real professionals and dedicated and skilled in their profession

But lets not let facts get in the way of a good Thai bash

I suspect most of the resident "experts" on here would never be able to fly with them anyway simply because they are too fat fron sitting on their barstools and thus too wide/ too heavy to be given a seat

I would be more concerned about who does the maintenance.

but they make it difficult.....if always the best would get the job, almost all technical jobs would be made by Indians and all manual work by Cambodians. No need for Thais....

Not really. Any company that really wants to import people can import. But, there isn't much advantage in importing that massive amount of middle management. However, in many many factories, the manual labour is done exclusively by Cambodians. Factories just build accomodation and import them en masse from the day the factory opens. Have seen it first hand. This is absolutely wrong.

The advantage many of these imports have is that they will work for less. I have seen some imported middle level skilled workers in Rayong in various businesses. I don't see that there is an enormous difference in competence between similarly qualified Indians or Thais. Plently of hard working, competent Thais around. Problem is, are there enough of them if companies are to continue opening factories or offices here.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Strange...why on heavens Earth would a company want to hire a foreign pilot instead of Thai pilots? Maybe this is the question the TPA should discuss rather than trying to torpedo them.

In the first instance as training pilots landing on an oil rig is not the same as bombing somewhere, and as stated there are not enough Thai pilots with the required hours and ratings on the specific aircraft to meet the number of flights needed

If these 13 pilots don't meet the minimum standards and requirements of the hiring company, they have no real argument.

One suspects what has happened is that the company has a nationslisation program in place and the projections of the number of Thai pilots they would have hasnt been met yet, hence the sabre rattling from the powers that be, storm in a tea cup, it will go away and then come up again next year thats all

Yeah I read you flew in over 200 flights, big deal, that could have been 200 flights of 5km's, lasting no more than 15 minutes a time, nothing wrong with my comprehension, now how many hours have you got as a rotary wing pilot that you feel you have the experience to criticise a forum member with over 1500 hours as one.

I watched all the episodes of Greys Anatomy, it didn't qualify me as a medic!!

The hell who want to sit in a helicopter or airplane with an untrained thai pilot????????????????????????

What the hell TPA is expecting: oh well, better people die but enforcing a stupid law for not to hire experts!!!!!!!!!!

and thats not only the problem in the aviation industry: thats all over the country the biggest problem