Far-right opponents' barn burns down in Germany

Lite Beer

Far-right opponents' barn burns down in Germany

BERLIN (AP) — A barn belonging to a couple in a northern German village who have been outspoken opponents of local neo-Nazis has burned down in what police say appears to be a case of arson.

Police said Thursday that the fire in the village of Jamel broke out shortly after midnight, and the thatched building burned down completely.

Jamel, in the sparsely populated state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, is known as a far-right stronghold. Horst and Birgit Lohmeyer, owners of the barn, have vociferously opposed neo-Nazis, holding their own music festival to promote democracy and tolerance.

Horst Lohmeyer said in a statement that the couple suspect the fire was laid in reaction to a recent announcement that they were being awarded a prominent prize for moral courage.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-15

Neo Nazi / far right activities are on the increase in Europe, including Germany, often under the cover of anti immigration protests to attract the gullible.

Neo-Nazi activity in Germany accounts for more attack on Jews than by Islamists. According to figures presented to the German parliament last week, 31 anti-Semitic attacks in 2013 were committed by people of a foreign background while the rest, 26, were attributed to other offenders. Out of 1,275 anti-Semitic incidents which occurred in 2013, neo-Nazis were considered responsible for 1,218 of them.

http://europe.newsweek.com/neo-nazi-activity-rise-europe-316465

Edited by simple1

Thanks, simple1.

Today a barn - tomorrow a Reichstag?

Should I advise my Jewish correspondents in Germany to go to Syria?

Wouldn't be the first case when National sentiments differ from Government policy.

On one hand Germany was defeated in 1945 - 70 years - two generations ago. How much can we believe in a change of conscience under duress?

On the other hand with so many Muslims today the Germans may be genuinely missing their Jews?

If I had a third hand I would express my doubts in millions of Muslims marching peacefully and orderly to their death. Maybe the opposite?

Edited by ABCer

Thanks, simple1.

Wouldn't be the first case when National sentiments differ from Government policy.

On one hand Germany was defeated in 1945 - 70 years - two generations ago. How much can we believe in a change of conscience under duress?

On the other hand with so many Muslims today the Germans may be genuinely missing their Jews?

If I had a third hand I would express my doubts in millions of Muslims marching peacefully and orderly to their death. Maybe the opposite?

As you correctly infer, this is a manufactured lib-left talking point designed to suggest equivalence between the Islamo-fascist immigrants and local 'far right' groups. The local 'far right' is often just a disenfranchised population protesting against the soaring social problems caused by runaway immigration.

If you look at the relative violence caused by immigrant populations and the so called 'far right' you can see how dishonest this talking point is. I wonder how many decapitations in broad daylight are supposed to be balanced on the ledger by this burned down barn?

I do sincerely hope that our security services have the good sense to allocate their resources in proportion to the actual threats from different groups and not rely on the press to point out where their priorities lay. In this respect it does not help to muddy the waters by suggesting groups who oppose Sharia law and Islamic supremacism are the same as those attacking Jews, which is yet another facet of the dishonest agenda behind the scenes here.

http://forward.com/news/214230/why-are-jews-supporting-a-german-right-wing-moveme/

Edited by Steely Dan

Thanks, simple1.

As you correctly infer, this is a manufactured lib-left talking point designed to suggest equivalence between the Islamo-fascist immigrants and local 'far right' groups. The local 'far right' is often just a disenfranchised population protesting against the soaring social problems caused by runaway immigration.

If you look at the relative violence caused by immigrant populations and the so called 'far right' you can see how dishonest this talking point is. I wonder how many decapitations in broad daylight are supposed to be balanced on the ledger by this burned down barn?

I do sincerely hope that our security services have the good sense to allocate their resources in proportion to the actual threats from different groups and not rely on the press to point out where their priorities lay. In this respect it does not help to muddy the waters by suggesting groups who oppose Sharia law and Islamic supremacism are the same as those attacking Jews, which is yet another facet of the dishonest agenda behind the scenes here.

http://forward.com/news/214230/why-are-jews-supporting-a-german-right-wing-moveme/

Why do you believe the leopard has changed it's spots? Time and time again history has proved otherwise, as in essence captured in the quote below from your link. As you rightly point out it's the role of security agencies, (with political support) to address threats to Western societies. The activities of the far right are a detraction and a national security threat.

Josef Schuster, chairman of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, has condemned Pegida as an “immensely dangerous” movement that consists of neo-Nazis, parties from the far right and citizens who think that they can finally let out their racism and xenophobia.

“The Pegida-movement definitely doesn’t serve the interests of Germany’s Jewish community,” he wrote to the Forward in an email. “They want to exclude the Muslims and foreigners [from] German society. Somebody who roots against one minority is also able to root against other minorities”

Thanks, simple1.

Why do you believe the leopard has changed it's spots? Time and time again history has proved otherwise, as in essence captured in the quote below from your link. As you rightly point out it's the role of security agencies, (with political support) to address threats to Western societies. The activities of the far right are a detraction and a national security threat.

Josef Schuster, chairman of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, has condemned Pegida as an “immensely dangerous” movement that consists of neo-Nazis, parties from the far right and citizens who think that they can finally let out their racism and xenophobia.

“The Pegida-movement definitely doesn’t serve the interests of Germany’s Jewish community,” he wrote to the Forward in an email. “They want to exclude the Muslims and foreigners [from] German society. Somebody who roots against one minority is also able to root against other minorities”

With all due respect: - what Josef Schuster and his Central Council of Jews in Germany are doing in Germany?

Thanks, simple1.

Josef Schuster, chairman of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, has condemned Pegida as an immensely dangerous movement that consists of neo-Nazis, parties from the far right and citizens who think that they can finally let out their racism and xenophobia.

The Pegida-movement definitely doesnt serve the interests of Germanys Jewish community, he wrote to the Forward in an email. They want to exclude the Muslims and foreigners [from] German society. Somebody who roots against one minority is also able to root against other minorities

With all due respect: - what Josef Schuster and his Central Council of Jews in Germany are doing in Germany?

Josef Schuster is a physician, and the Central Council of Jews in Germany watches how minorities are treated in Germany. Nazis take any group as scapegoats, eg Jews *and* Moslems. Tomorrow they might take you.