Old Croc

Eating Mango with sticky rice.

Spotting lots of the inexpensive hairdressings

Riding motorbike in breezing air

Drinking the coconut juices

Jogging in the early mornings

Using the light clothes

Feeling free to shout in the beaches

I think too many people, myself included, don't take enough advantage of the good things that Phuket has to offer. I made an effort a while ago with some friends on holiday here and they couldn't thank me enough for helping them have a fantastic holiday.

I've just arrived back after a few weeks in London and I'm sitting in the shade, on a beautiful low season day, wearing shorts and t-shirt and at the moment totally relaxed. The traffic gets to me here, as do certain other things, but half of London's roads seem to be being dug up at the moment, perhaps getting me ready for the anticipated Chalong Circle chaos.

There are many aspects of Phuket I don't like and I'm one that stated in the other thread that I will possibly leave within two years, but that's nothing to do with prices, closure of bars or the change in tourist demographics but my reasons are for another thread at another time.

This is the "Phuket Positive" thread, and Phuket does have many positives. That's why we all chose to live here, and why we are all still currently living here.

However, it's this comment that I think is important: "I made an effort a while ago with some friends on holiday here and they couldn't thank me enough for helping them have a fantastic holiday."

We have all played "unofficial tour guide" here. I know I have, many times.

I do not wish to get into the "helping them" versus "working here" argument.

The question is, madmitch, had you not "helped" your friends, whilst on their holiday here, would they have had the same "fantastic holiday" without you taking care of them here?

Basically, did you, in effect, shield them from the BS that every other tourist that does not have the benefit of having a friend "help them" here, have to experience?

My point is that by "helping" my friends enjoy their holiday, it made me get out and about much more than usual, to visit places I wouldn't normally go to, to revisit out of the way beaches and restaurants, and to appreciate again what Phuket has to offer both the tourist and the expat.

For your interest, NKM, my friends were staying in a very upmarket resort and wouldn't have experienced the usual BS, and they certainly didn't gripe at the price when they took a tuktuk or taxi anywhere and really didn't bother how much they spent. I did ask if they wanted a night in Patong but they politely declined!

May I ask, had your visiting friends been to Phuket before?

If not, why didn't they want to see Patong? What had they heard about Patong, and from whom, or from which media?

If they had been to Phuket before, why did they need you to "help them" on they return holday?

Totally irrelevant to this thread therefore I don't see the need to answer.

@ madmitch

I don't see it as irrelevant.

Patong IS part of Phuket.

This is the "Phuket Positive" thread - not the "Patong Negative" thread.

Are you suggesting there are no "positives" worth visiting in Patong? If so, your post on this thread is off topic. smile.png

Yes, you must be the best in twisting words and arguments. Well done.

@ madmitch

Are you suggesting there are no "positives" worth visiting in Patong? If so, your post on this thread is off topic. smile.png

"twisting words" - how so?

There are many "positives" to Patong.

This is the 'Phuket Positive" thread, yet, mention "Patong" and some members post negatively about Patong, which IS part of Phuket.

Perhaps you can get back on topic, stevenl, and post a positive, or two, on Patong.

@ madmitch

"twisting words" - how so?

There are many "positives" to Patong.

This is the 'Phuket Positive" thread, yet, mention "Patong" and some members post negatively about Patong, which IS part of Phuket.

Perhaps you can get back on topic, stevenl, and post a positive, or two, on Patong.

No, I have had enough of your trolling.

@ stevenl

I am not trolling.

I live in Patong. There are many positives to living in Patong.

Another member posted negatively about Patong.

Serious question, can you, stevenl, post something positive about Patong? After all, it is part of Phuket, and may I remind you, Patong STILL remains Phuket's biggest tourist attraction.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ stevenl

I am not trolling.

Serious question, can you, stevenl, post something positive about Patong? After all, it is part of Phuket, and may I remind you, Patong STILL remains Phuket's biggest tourist attraction.

Nothing negative was said, must be your state if mind.

You're trolling.

@ stevenl

I am not trolling.

You're trolling.

madmitch: "I did ask if they wanted a night in Patong but they politely declined!" - seems they had a negative opinion of Patong. I did ask why, but madmitch declined to reply.

Surely madmitch could have showed them the many positives to Patong, with them having a great night out, and changing their low opinion of Patong, which seems similar to your opinion of Patong, despite Patong being part of Phuket.

@ stevenl

I am not trolling.

You're trolling.

madmitch: "I did ask if they wanted a night in Patong but they politely declined!" - seems they had a negative opinion of Patong. I did ask why, but madmitch declined to reply.

Surely madmitch could have showed them the many positives to Patong, with them having a great night out, and changing their low opinion of Patong, which seems similar to your opinion of Patong, despite Patong being part of Phuket.

So somebody does not want to go to patong, which means madmitch and me have a low opinion of patong.

Nothing negative was said about patong, so all these posts where you claim it was should be deleted.

Edited by stevenl

@ stevenl

I am not trolling.

You're trolling.

So somebody does not want to go to patong, which means madmitch and me have a low opinion of patong.

Nothing negative was said about patong, so all these posts where you claim it was should be deleted.

Why is it, certain members can not find any positives to post on Patong?

It's the most frequented place by visiting tourists on Phuket.

As a very long time observer of NKM ... my advise is just to ignore his retorical posts and not rise to his bait. And don't expect an answer to this post NKM.

You're right, and I'll again try to adhere to it.

Seems people are following a generally good practice "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" regarding Patong. The thread is about positive things in Phuket. It isn't titled "let me single out a place you have went out of your way not to be negative towards and make you say something nice bout it."

For me the last positive thing I saw in Phuket was the On the Rocks restaurant and my stay at Marina resort. The service was absolutely impeccable and the view down the beach there is wonderful. Add to that the price was only 4,300 Baht or something similar and it was also great value to me in a place where people are usually crying about prices. Another pleasant thing about Phuket was that English was pretty widely spoken.

The staff of a place that I went down to collaborate on some designs with Shades Asia were also a joy to deal with and if you need any shading solutions of any kind I would check them out.

So even though I voiced some negatives in the other thread there are many positive things going for Phuket as well. The fact that I am a bit disgruntled with the place because I reminisce about how it was in the good old days simply doesn't matter. You can see I also chose to leave Patong out of it for the same reasons others did. This thread is all about appreciating what unique things are good to each individual and not debating other stuff.

Perhaps somebody can start a what's good about Patong thread, I am sure it will be a great hit.

@ madmitch

My last word:

I said nothing negative about Patong at all. Read my post. I often take first-timers for a night out in Patong; it can be fun, but it's not for everyone.

Ok what's good about Patong is the connivence of the immigration office.

I just noticed 2fishin2's comment.

Surely a Freudian slip!!

Was it 'convenience' you meant, or is Immigration's connivance a positive!

biggrin.png

con·niv·ance
kəˈnīvəns/
noun
  1. willingness to secretly allow or be involved in wrongdoing, especially an immoral or illegal act.
    "this infringement of the law had taken place with the connivance of officials"