Parking Wars Thailand

You know what, you're whining about something that is just not a big deal. It doesn't reflect on any sort of rude or inconsiderate behavior by Thais because they intend nor see it as such.

In a developing country, where scooters are preferred mode of transport and there is limited space to park this is common. Simply move the the scooter(s) blocking you. Thais do it all the time, not a big deal nor a need to get your panties in a bunch.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the Thai way,,,Shut up and put up with it we all have to ,We all get angry about this, bah.gif

Only entitled farang like yourself get angry and worked up over such a benign situation. Everyone else knows how to go with the flow in a developing country with limited resources.

A lot of Ex-pats that live here shouldnt. It's bad for there health......I have seen so many get so worked up over the way things are done here....You either laugh and shake your head or your on the slow boat back home.

This is the Thai way,,,Shut up and put up with it we all have to ,We all get angry about this, bah.gif

Only entitled farang like yourself get angry and worked up over such a benign situation. Everyone else knows how to go with the flow in a developing country with limited resources.

ty

In many cases the limited resources include an open parking spot less than 20 meters from the place they double park. Agree that getting angry is not a good response, disagree with you about the lack of consideration.

I would just leave the bikes in the road. I've had them park on both my front and rear bumper when I was the only car in the block.

The worst time was when my car was blocked by three cars that had parked bumper to bumper blocking me. It was impossible to move the cars.

Or, the time when I was backing into a parking space and a bike pulled into the space and parked in the middle of the space.

Take a deep breath......

What do they say, Thais don't park....

They just stop driving.

Nah they cant drive either

Having sat in a car watching my teerak getting driving lessons from a Thai instructor, I'd have to say the driver education system is crap. She was not taught uphill handbrake starts, parallel parking, or the use of equipment such as a headlight flash, windscreen wipers or using gears on an automatic to speed up or slow down. Mirrors are for makeup only. Got her full licence; however, I've managed to convince her she has a lot to learn. No wonder Thailand has 50,000 road fatalities every year.

Personally, considering the variety of inexpensive transportation available, ( some actually safe ), I believe anyone driving anything here, has a death wish

Curious to hear some actual safe modes of transportation here. I can only think of BTS/MRT and flying (sort of).

One day I couldn't find a parking spot at Tesco except next to a pickup that had parked diagonally across two spaces. I had to park so close that they couldn't open the driver's door very far, but didn't feel bad because they could slide across from the passenger side. While I was walking away the driver of the pickup came up to me and asked me to move my vehicle so he could get into his drivers door....and he was another foreigner. It's not always only the Thai people who do these type of things.

If they don't put their steering locks on (or any other locking mechanism) I can live with it.

I will simply wheel them out of the way get my bike out and replace them.

Now and again if I feel particularly frisky I might wheel one round a corner.

I carry an old lock, I have lost the key but it is open, I would likely apply it to any bike that requires me to lift and shuffle it.

But do you know what the best solution is? I park in slightly less convenient positions and where parking behind me would put them in the roadway..

ie, Just down from the post office, for example,rather than right in-front of it.

Closely related: shop owners closing off a lane with pylons or plastic chairs to claim it as their parking lot or extended shop area.

The vast majority of people here are just extremely lazy, selfish and closely minded. Can't see it changing any time soon. The frickin army!!! had to clean up the street not long ago and it's back to business as usual. Respect my ass.

Now we all know a shop-house actually owns all the property up to the white line in the centre of the road don't we!

Personally, considering the variety of inexpensive transportation available, ( some actually safe ), I believe anyone driving anything here, has a death wish

Living upcountry there is very little transport, only four buses per day to the city, so you need a motorbike, and it's not as dangerous as riding in Bangkok.

The biggest danger is underage riders.

Couldn't care less. If someone parks in front of my bike I just move it and carry on. Don't see any reason to get pissed about it.

Have you tried moving three or four with the steering locked?
And that scenario is happening sooo often that I need to start getting angry just in case. In 5 years of riding here, never happened. I'll stick to my statement. mai pen rai

You know what, you're whining about something that is just not a big deal. It doesn't reflect on any sort of rude or inconsiderate behavior by Thais because they intend nor see it as such.

In a developing country, where scooters are preferred mode of transport and there is limited space to park this is common. Simply move the the scooter(s) blocking you. Thais do it all the time, not a big deal nor a need to get your panties in a bunch.

But the thing is they do not have the common sense to leave the steering unlocked which makes the bike harder to move.

The chances of a bike getting stolen in broad daylight in a village when parked with other bikes for only a short time is almost nil.

To the OP. I presume none of the bikes had the steering lock on, or you would have some job moving them.

I hope you put the bikes back in the same position they were in before you moved them.

Scooters with steering lock on are not that hard to move. I hope he doesn't move the bikes back and some get damaged for having inconsiderate owners.

But the thing is they do not have the common sense to leave the steering unlocked which makes the bike harder to move.

The chances of a bike getting stolen in broad daylight in a village when parked with other bikes for only a short time is almost nil.

My scooter was stolen while parked outside South Pattaya market around midday for no more than 10 minutes. Police never found it.

To the OP. I presume none of the bikes had the steering lock on, or you would have some job moving them.

I hope you put the bikes back in the same position they were in before you moved them.

Scooters with steering lock on are not that hard to move. I hope he doesn't move the bikes back and some get damaged for having inconsiderate owners.

That was only said tongue in cheek. I would not have put them back.

My scooter was stolen while parked outside South Pattaya market around midday for no more than 10 minutes. Police never found it.

I was referring to a village, in Pattaya it is well known that thieves go around looking for bikes to steal, it happens regularly there.

I do not suppose you left your keys in the bike. about three weeks ago, I saw a bike parked in Soi Diana with the keys still in it.

This is asian culture at its worst. When they go to the states and try this crap, you should see the shocked expressions when we confront them. It's too funny.they adapt quick I must say.

Thats the real problem there is never any confrontation, Ive seen them looked stunned when Ive told em shift it in no uncertain terms, they can see I aint happy but the worst shock is someone actually telling them......cue dazed look..........usually followed by "why you do this to me"

I just dont care anymore.....yes I know ,I blend right in

would those limited resources be "the use of their legs" sorry I didnt realise Thai legs are unable to walk more than 5 metres.