Hunt for Ratchaprasong bomber is progressing

webfact

Hunt for Ratchaprasong bomber is progressing

11923375_10153566628608637_1182101539_o-

BANGKOK: -- The massive dragnet for the Ratchaprasong bomb suspect is making progress as the police now have gained substantial evidence and information in both bomb explosion cases that they said were linked.

Police have questioned the motorcycle taxi driver who drove the bomb suspect to Silom shortly after the explosion.

The police have combed Silom area and questioned residents in the area for information and would seek warrant for his arrest soon.

For the second bombing on Taksin bridge, one day after Ratchaprasong deadly explosion, the police will today send a team of frogmen to dive in the Sathorn canal searching for more evidence of the type of bomb used.

Initial collection of evidence on the ground surface has gathered a number of pellets that are the same as those collected from the Ratchaprasong explosion.

This indicated the two bomb explosion were correlated.

A police investigator said the bomber might carry the bomb to other target but decided to throw it away from the bridge after there was a security checkpoint on the way he was going.

The security checkpoint was manned by soldiers and set up after the deadly Ratchaprasong bombing.

Police have obtained substantial evidence on this second explosion which nobody was harmed because there are several CCTV cameras there.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hunting-for-ratchaprasong-bomber-is-progressing

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this another arrest warrant for an unidentified suspect ? I know LoS operates in a strange way but a judge is asked to issue a warrant for " him in the photo ? " If he had been positively identified they would have been boasting about it because they can't keep quiet.

Progresssing indeed

PBS just added this about a French national being questioned. Other than the resembalnce, doesn't seem to much here:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/123887

A French national was apprehended by security officials at the Suvarnabhumi airport after he missed a flight and has cut wound on his right hand and he resembled the wanted bomb suspect in a video footage released by police.

He is now questioned by security officials at the airport police station, FM 91 Traffic Radio station reported at noon today.

A good thing that the millions and millions of Bahts spent on the CCTV cameras by the government of Bangkok are yielding images worthy of the 70s (XX century) thus debunking the rumor that they were dummy cameras. whistling.gif

Why not publicly offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the bomber?

Maybe the RTP does not want to disburse any funds that can be made available for other "purposes". Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge!

Matichon said he spoke English to the motorcai driver, was dropped off in Silom Soi 9 and then was seen (and heard) taking a cab to 'the airport'. BKK or DMK wasn't stated.

Yet according to the RTP he also managed to throw a bomb from Saphan Taksin 24 hours later. No wonder everyone is confused, the information coming from the police is all over the place.

It never ceases to amaze me - the complete lack of discipline within law enforcement in Thailand - when it comes to controlling the release of information. Every official, at every levels, feels entitled to make a statement. Some members here have suggested this is a clever attempt to confuse the perpetrators by lulling them into a false sense of security. That is an extremely charitable interpretation.

If there was one fact about the bomber that would be simple to ascertain, then it should be the bombers height. He is smaller than almost all around him and stood next to fence they should be able to accurately say the bomber is approx 150cm tall for example. Not heard a single thing about that, but elsewhere in the world the police would issue a statement saying exactly that.

PBS just added this about a French national being questioned. Other than the resembalnce, doesn't seem to much here:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/123887

A French national was apprehended by security officials at the Suvarnabhumi airport after he missed a flight and has cut wound on his right hand and he resembled the wanted bomb suspect in a video footage released by police.

He is now questioned by security officials at the airport police station, FM 91 Traffic Radio station reported at noon today.

so was it the french who did it ?

This might be the bomber who was using a fake American passport. Has same shoes, shorts and burn on his arm ( which was covered by a bandage as he left the backpack):

http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/bangkok-erawan-hindu-shrine-bomber-identity-photo-picture-fake-passport-american-stephen-larry-fahl-united-states-thailand/4/

Yes apart from being nearly 6ft tall, he could well be someone they should be looking at..

Police Widen Hunt for Bombing ‘Network’
By Khaosod English

14399679161439968434l.jpg
The Erawan Shrine reopened in Bangkok this morning. Despite the human devastation resulting from Monday night's bombing, the statue of Brahma was little damaged.

BANGKOK — The site of Monday’s horrific bombing reopened this morning as officials announced they have widened their search from a lone wolf bomber to a “network” they believe behind the deadly attack which killed at least 20 people.

Worshipers returned to pray at the Erawan Shrine, a landmark and tourist attraction, as police continue hunting their chief suspect, a man they are now confident is a foreign national who likely had the help of Thai confederates.

“I am confident that the perpetrator disguised his face with a wig before he committed the crime, to hide his identity, and I believe there is more than one perpetrator. It has to be a network,” Somyot said, adding, “Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.”

Full video from security cameras released last night gave a clearer indication of why police consider the “yellow-shirt man” their chief suspect. In the footage, he enters the shrine area about 15 minutes before the blast, when it is packed with worshipers and foreign tourists. He immediately slips off his backpack after sitting on a bench and departs seconds later while using a smartphone. He turns left on Ratchadamri Road toward the Erawan Hotel.

“The investigation has clearly established that the man in the CCTV is the perpetrator,” said outgoing Thai police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439967916

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-19

Personally, I think it is in bad taste to reopen that site so soon. I'm not saying close it forever, but I would have thought a reasonable time period to show RESPECT for the dead would be in order. Yes, I know, this is Asia. Also it seems to be a way to cover up the crisis that has been opened up by this terror event while the nation is still really in the middle of it as we don't know which force is behind it and whether their attacks are over. In other words ... SUPERFICIAL.

Edited by Jingthing

"

' Somyot said, adding, “Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.”'

Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. Yes they could!

There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart. Does that mean they were Red shirts?

Personally, I think it is in bad taste to reopen that site so soon. I'm not saying close it forever, but I would have thought a reasonable time period to show RESPECT for the dead would be in order. Yes, I know, this is Asia. Also it seems to be a way to cover up the crisis that has been opened up by this terror event while the nation is still really in the middle of it as we don't know which force is behind it and whether their attacks are over. In other words ... SUPERFICIAL.

I know this is different J. but things like this take some understanding,, aircraft logo's,, body parts after accidents uncovered,,-- all police gathered together with accused for a photo session,, Thaksin still sh## stirring in Thai politics,, He is allowed to get as much limelight as he likes,,

But back to this rather odd decision to re open as though nothing had happened, suppose the only thing I can make of it is that to be shown to all and sundry terrorist's we are back in business and you will not stop us. Thinking again it was maybe wise, just saying. But I get your drift J.

I hope the case is really progressing and does not end up bogged down in inefficiency,

like so many other cases,many serious like murder,that just end up as cold cases.

regards Worgeordie

They are about to seek an arrest warrant does that not tell you something?

"Foreigners couldnt commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime."

Of course rolleyes.gif because foreigners alone would not only be bad for the economy but there's no political gain to be had, can't have that. Need two poor sods in a Man U shirt to point fingers at. We'll never hear from them again, never know their side of the story but at least some political gain can be had out of this tragedy.

Edited by firestar

I hope the case is really progressing and does not end up bogged down in inefficiency,

like so many other cases,many serious like murder,that just end up as cold cases.

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie, I think this might just be a very serious murder case they are dealing with here..... whistling.gif

Whoever is responsible, let's all pray the perpetrators are caught very quickly. And tortured very slowly...wai2.gif

"

' Somyot said, adding, “Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart, lending assistance to the crime.”'

Foreigners couldn’t commit this act alone. Yes they could!

There has to be Thai people, who are not Thais at heart. Does that mean they were Red shirts?

Foreigners could certainly assemble and place the bomb, but acquiring the ingredients to make the bomb would need local help. For example, if I walked into my local shop and asked for 1kg each of 6mm and 8mm ball bearings, I'd get a strange look. If I added, oh and a few kilos of C4, then I'd being enjoying the hospitality of my local police station.

Foreigners could certainly assemble and place the bomb, but acquiring the ingredients to make the bomb would need local help. For example, if I walked into my local shop and asked for 1kg each of 6mm and 8mm ball bearings, I'd get a strange look. If I added, oh and a few kilos of C4, then I'd being enjoying the hospitality of my local police station.

Remember the Iranians with the backpack, one blew his own leg the other was back in Malaysia the next day?

Bearings can be bought everywhere, explosives easily by anyone with contacts in malaysia or cambodia.

Foreigners can do this alone, easily, the border is so porous. but if you can't find the real culprits why not round up a few Thai so they can at least get some political and not lose face?

Edited by firestar

Can't understand the stoic silence of the Thailand Interpol NCB in this hunt. By now Interpol Thailand under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would be in the thick of this pursuit and would have alerted and coordinated with foreign Interpol offices to help in the hunt and making joint statements. I heard nothing from the Foreign Minister. Is he only good at making love overtures. Hope he get kick out and a better and more professional man takes the helm.

I know this is different J. but things like this take some understanding,, aircraft logo's,, body parts after accidents uncovered,,-- all police gathered together with accused for a photo session,, Thaksin still sh## stirring in Thai politics,, He is allowed to get as much limelight as he likes,,

But back to this rather odd decision to re open as though nothing had happened, suppose the only thing I can make of it is that to be shown to all and sundry terrorist's we are back in business and you will not stop us. Thinking again it was maybe wise, just saying. But I get your drift J.

Congratulations on inserting the name of Thaksin into every bloody post you make. That's quite an effort!

regards Worgeordie

They are about to seek an arrest warrant does that not tell you something?

Not really. In Thailand the police regularly obtain arrest warrants for unidentified suspects. TIT.

A good thing that the millions and millions of Bahts spent on the CCTV cameras by the government of Bangkok are yielding images worthy of the 70s (XX century) thus debunking the rumor that they were dummy cameras. whistling.gif

Why not publicly offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the bomber?

Maybe the RTP does not want to disburse any funds that can be made available for other "purposes". Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge!

They HAVE offered 1 million baht for information leading to his arrest!!